Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 - Squadrons of the 15th Hussars (Aug '14 to Apr '15)

Flash

I understand that in August 1914 the 15th Hussars was divided into three squadrons to support the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Infantry Divisions.

Are there rolls (for want of a better word), of which men were in which squadron? I'm interested in researching a chap whose medals I have recently purchased, but with three possible war diaries out there, I don't know which to get.

The chap is 880 PTE T.A.HARRISON. I'm happy to look him up... I just don't know if a listing of who was in which squadron exists?

Edited by Flash

Doubtful if each Sqdn kept a WD on its own. The regt would have kept it I expect. But most likely not any info on the troopers of each sqdn . But I could be wrong so hope someone with better knowledge will come along soon to clear things up.

His Medal Index Crad MIGHT list his sqdn but usually only says his regt.. Worth a look for service papers too & if they survive they may give a hint of the sqdrn he was in. Good luck.

Hi Loader, thanks for writing. I know that, in this case, there definitely are war diaries for the squadrons (hence my mention of my guy being in one of three possibilities), and of course, a war diary for the overall 9th Cavalry Brigade (which will cover what they did once they were back together again).

References/locations for these are here: http://www.researchingww1.co.uk/15th-the-kings-hussars

So, like I say, it's just learning what squadron at this stage so I can hone down on the right diary. I'll ask the chap who posted my medals to send scans of his documents in advance incase it might be included there. That was a really good suggestion -- thanks again. Excited to be researching this group.

Edited by Flash

I have 'B' and 'C' Squadron diaries from August to December 1914.

As the link states 'B' Sqn is the better diary of the two. Both diaries tend only to mention ORs that have become casualties or have completed some 'excellent' reconnaissance work. However, 'B' Squadron diary, surprisingly, has a nominal roll of all of those who embarked with the Squadron to France in August 1914 - a quick glance doesn't reveal your man - but the Squadron received 'reinforcements' in the field - but no names!

Also, the Regimental History 1914 - 1922 by Lord Carnock (available N & M)  appendices show that he wasn't a casualty either.

Good luck with further research.

Thanks Yorke, some great information and thoughts there. If only A and C had kept a diary like B, eh? :)

Definitely not a casualty, but has an SWB number on his MIC (SWB CY/193 or CY/793 I can't tell), so there's something going on with him.

EDIT: Remiss of me to mention, but the fact I know what's on his MIC means, yes, I now have the papers. No squadron mentions that I can see.

Edited by Flash

Hi Flash and welcome to the GWF. His SWB mentions he enlisted 31/08/07 and was discharged 12/03/19 KR 392 [XVIa]

Thank you for welcome and the information, Bardess.

Makes me  wonder if he was wounded after the war (that date coincides with the British Army of the Rhine being set up), or whether it happened during the war and he was able to hang around until 1919 and when the British Army of the Rhine was being set up, that was enough for him? Interesting...

On 10/03/2017 at 08:48, Bardess said:

I believe it refers to 'no longer physically fit for War Service'

Yes, indeed, and it will be interesting to know how that came about, ie: a wound, an illness, or something else. And, of course, when it happened.

• 6 years later...

Just seen your question on 880 Pte Thomas Alfred Harrison. He was in 'A' Squadron, 15th Hussars. He was born in 1887, Hoxton, London. Enlisted 19th Hussars 31 August 1907. Occupation: builder's labourer. Transferred to 15th Hussars 7 july1908. Served first in India then on 14/11/09 went to South Africa until 17/1/13. Was in Potchefstroom S Africa (1911 Census). BEF 16/8/14 to 27 9/18. Injured - fractured tibia. Was kicked by a passing horse while taking own horse to water. Treated at No 5 Stationary Hospital, then transferred to Northern General Hospital, Leicester. Class Z 11/2/19; Discharged 29 March 1919 aged 32. Hope this is of interest. Stewart J.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Flash hasn’t visited the forum since 2017. My tag may alert them to your post. 

On 13/08/2023 at 01:49, Stewart J said:

Just seen your question on 880 Pte Thomas Alfred Harrison. He was in 'A' Squadron, 15th Hussars. He was born in 1887, Hoxton, London. Enlisted 19th Hussars 31 August 1907. Occupation: builder's labourer. Transferred to 15th Hussars 7 july1908. Served first in India then on 14/11/09 went to South Africa until 17/1/13. Was in Potchefstroom S Africa (1911 Census). BEF 16/8/14 to 27 9/18. Injured - fractured tibia. Was kicked by a passing horse while taking own horse to water. Treated at No 5 Stationary Hospital, then transferred to Northern General Hospital, Leicester. Class Z 11/2/19; Discharged 29 March 1919 aged 32. Hope this is of interest. Stewart J.

Brilliant information; thank you so much for finding this thread and adding the information :)

On 13/08/2023 at 18:03, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. @Flash hasn’t visited the forum since 2017. My tag may alert them to your post. 

You did me a great favour by tagging me, Michelle. Thank you :)