Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Reward for John Patrick O'Shea image, please!

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All,

Lieut John Patrick O'Shea was a brilliant footballer in Calcutta and a Vol,, but in 1918 was in Rangoon representing a motor firm.

He joined the IARO and in Kurdistan and Iraq was awarded one of the few MiDs to 1024 Burma MT Coy (Ford Vans).

I NEED HIS IMAGE - a reward is offered!

John O'Shea married into the wealthy Deuchar family (in Warkworth), and was latterly living in some style at Tranwell House, Morpeth,

where he died, only 65, in 1953.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.deGSM_small.jpgMorpeth Herald Friday 23rd January 1953.jpgJan 1922 Indian Army List war services of British officers of the IA.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Can't answer your question but have you tried this website?:

https://www.fibis.org/

EW

Edited by ilkley remembers

Kim,

Don't know if you have seen this book, see link below, which is the quarterly review of the HLI 1908-1910. They played Calcutta FC on at least a couple of occasions and the matches are reported (pp155-157). O'Shea is mentioned, but only in the team list. There is a photo of the HLI team that played Calcutta.

Is this of any interest?

Edward

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7CBv9ybqIUwC&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=o'shea+calcutta&source=bl&ots=BLNuthkVy7&sig=_TaWNtshJOuCFvAtcqt_YUSbpG4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR9cS19PPSAhWKD8AKHRWoB4UQ6AEIPTAH#v=onepage&q=o'shea calcutta&f=false

Dear Edward,

Many thanks for that.

It is always heartening when a member of the Forum takes some notice of one's research requests!

As it happens, I had already found that connection; also the HLI team photo. 

Had a photo of O'Shea turned up, a gift would have been on its way to you, straightaway! I got quite close, inasmuch as he lived in some style latterly, having married well, and was probably well known as a Wine Agent in the Morpeth area...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Edward,

Wow! Well done.

It seems certain that my elusive John Patrick O'Shea is one of those, whose group you have so cleverly found. But which one?

In 1910 he would have been 23 years old (born 24 Jun 1887, probably in Ireland): perhaps one of the four at left, both seated and standing? On the other hand, the newspaper clipping revealed that he captained the CFC team...

At least now I am no longer chasing a phantom, thanks to you. Now, I just have to figure out a reward for you...

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Kim, I'm now convinced that there is a photo of Patrick O'Shea out there somewhere. Maybe it is in archives of the Times of India or Telegraph of Calcutta, or perhaps in the journals of the regiments whose teams played against him, but it is there waiting to be found. However, tonight I raise a glass of Jameson's finest in memory of the elusive John Patrick O'Shea and Calcutta FC.

Bye the way I think that Patrick on the front row far left.

Edited by ilkley remembers

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

Here is another scan of the 1910 Calcutta Football Club 58f5235814523_CalcuttaFC1910OShea.jpg.2239cd995b2de719d3718c1da7ca8950.jpggroup.

Will the real John Patrick O'Shea please stand up?

I am still hoping for a picture of him in later life, in Tranwell...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Not sure if this will help, or what the connection to Iris Midwood is, but it might lead somewhere.

The probate record for John Patrick and Jessie Elaine O'Shea

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Peterhastie

Eric D Midwood married Iris Mary Dagmar Deuchar (or Webb) in St.George, Hanover Square District in June  qtr 1927.(See post 1 for Deuchar link)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Dear Peter and dear Dai,

How very clever of you both, to devil out this Finale. Well done!

So Iris Midwood, nee Deuchar, was a sister of Jessie O'Shea, nee Deuchar. What is immediately apparent, is that decorated Great War ex-officer John Patrick O'Shea died incredibly poor; whereas his widow Jessie (of the wealthy Deuchar family), died incredibly rich!

Many thanks for this, which I will weave into my on-going manuscript.

As far as, say, a wedding photo of the obviously dashing John, and Jessie, is concerned, it seems that modern-day representatives of the Deuchar family would be the best bet!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

In 1911, Iris Mary Dagmar Deuchar  aged 13, and Jessie Elaine Deuchar were both school pupils at Clarence House College, Roehampton, Putney, both listed as having been born in Walton, Northumberland.

Iris Deuchar married a Charles Webb in St. Martin registration district, London (St.Martin in the Fields area) in  June qtr. 1922.

Dear Dai,

Good work! 

I have the Clarence House College entry, but was unaware that Iris married Charles Webb, before shifting at some stage to Eric Midwood.

Their brother Robert was a Scottish Horse 2nd Lieut., but preparatory to going to France, he was fatally injured in a motor-cycle accident: most tragic. I attach his image and that of Deuchar memorials.

Jessie had been engaged to a RFC pilot, but the marriage apparently never took place. One gets the impression that the family was not keen on her marrying the athletic but perhaps penniless John O'Shea...deuchar_r_2nd_lt_scottish_horse.jpg.befc9727b8218292f5fd61572c576cc7.jpg58f60ba002f78_DeucharetcMemorial.jpg.f88728ff24201cbd19e4a3c1d18af202.jpgDeuchar.jpg.3242680d6a2adba74fa0e086fbeeb4d8.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the John P O'Shea from the probate record isn't your man. Your O'Shea died on 16th January 1953, according to the Morpeth Herald, whilst the one shown in the probate record passed away in September 1953.

Iris Druchar did, however, marry Eric Midwood in 1927 after divorce from Charles Webb. Webb was from a Worcestershire family and owned land and a house called Sandford in Richmond  North Yorkshire.I gather that he was something to do with the Zetland Hunt and also lived in London at The Bath Club. Webb and Iris headed off to the states in 1923 but by 1926 were back in Britain when she was caught in flagrante with Midwood.

Midwood was the son of the master of the Cheshire Hunt and seems to have spent his whole life frequenting Race Meetings. The Duechars were also noted race goers and horse owners which probably accounts for her attraction to Webb and Midwood.

Doesn't help you much in your quest for Mr O'Shea but at least it puts a bit of background into the world that these people lived in. which no doubt kept the gossip columnists busy.

Dear All,

There seems to be a discrepancy between John Patrick O'Sheas obituary, and his probate notice:-

one says: Died at his home, Tanwell House, Morpeth,

the other says:- of 17 Hastings Buildings, Tower Bridge Road, London SE - died 28 Sep 1953 on the way to Guys Hospital, London SE1

Does anyone have a fast-forward to Deuchar family tree and possible wedding photo of Jessie Deuchar marrying former IARO O'Shea?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Edward,

Thanks for catching that red herring, which I also latterly latched on to - but what coincidental same-names, and year of death...

Many thanks for the Horsey backgrounds, and the fun-and-games loving Iris being caught in flagranti. Super!

This will be weaved thankfully into my on-going erstwhile Indian Army Reserve of Officers J. P. O'Shea manuscript.

I still need a Friend at Court to break into the ancestry, etc., Deuchar family trees and so on.

This, in the hope of finding a photo of Jessie Elaine Deuchar marrying John Patrick O'Shea...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Two Public Trees on Ancestry mentioning Jessie. One of them is currently unavailable.

Married JPo'Shea, Rothbury Northumberland, December 1922.

No image of either though.

She arrived back fro India in 1924:

Name Jessie Oshea
Birth Date abt 1898
Age 26
Port of Departure Calcutta, India
Arrival Date 23 Apr 1924
Port of Arrival London, England
Ports of Voyage Colombo
Ship Name City of Exeter
Search Ship Database City of Exeter City of Exeter
Shipping Line Ellerman Line
Official Number 136297

Dear Dai,

Good work and many thanks for Biting the Bullett on my behalf!

No image: how tantalizing (a modern form of torture not known in former times)...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

... No image: how tantalizing (a modern form of torture not known in former times)...

That's true - poor old Tantalus only had food and water to worry about!

Best,

Julian

Dear Julian,

Yes, and his Collection was not much, as Collections go, either.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

At this stage, it seems appropriate to relate the background to Lieut J. P. O'Shea's award of a Mention in Despatches - taken from my on-going manuscript:-

An MC group to Lieut. Claud Felix Pyett, IARO, a brother-officer of O’Shea in 1024 (Burma) Mechanical Transport Company, was sold recently (2015) at £2,100.

Pyett had the GSM with one KURDISTAN clasp only (despite having qualified for the IRAQ clasp). His MC was awarded for an action when serving with 1024 (Burma) M.T. Company, ASC, which also involved Lieut. O’Shea: both apparently part of № 5 M.T. Column at the time. Lieut. Pyett subsequently joined № 784 Coy., in December 1919: Lieut O'Shea having been posted to № 784 Coy., on 25 November 1919. This latter company was at Baqubah, with detachments at Tekrit and Khanikin.

According to one official account: ‘On 23 May 1919, Colonel Bridges marched most of his Kirkuk garrison towards Sulimanieh in an attempt to rescue British officers captured there. Leaving a Coy and a Troop of Lancers at Chemchamal, 50 km short of Sulimanieh, Bridges pushed on, halting for the night at Taslujeh Pass. Meanwhile, Brig.Gen. G. M. Morris, CB, DSO (late 62nd  Punjabis), Cmd. 55 Bde at Baiji, despatched a force to assist Bridges, and ordered him not to proceed past Chemchamal. However, Bridges, perhaps foolishly, had moved on to Taslujeh.

‘At dawn on 25 May, Bridges found his force at Taslujeh was surrounded by hostile Kurds, and the cavalry suffered several casualties including Lieut. E. R. L. Poole, who was killed.

‘Colonel Bridges fought a withdrawal action back to the Baytan Pass, 20 km to the rear, which he was obliged to reach before the Kurds seized it; the two armoured cars and the Ford Vans were abandoned. Capt D. K. J. Chisolm, 114th Mahrattas (attd. 116th Mahrattas), commanded two Lewis guns during the withdrawal, and, although severely wounded, he kept the Kurds at bay during the withdrawal.  Chisolm was later awarded the Military Cross.’

The Pyett MC action took place on Sunday, 25 May 1919:

‘A convoy of about 30 Ford Vans under the command of Lieut. C. F. PYETT, 1024 (Burma) M.T. Coy., were with BRIDGE’S Column caught at Tashlujah Pass in the early morning.

A sharp encounter with the opposing Kurds took place. 19 Ford Vans, along with LAMB cars [light armoured motor batteries] had to be abandoned. 14 of the Ford Vans abandoned were on the charge of 1024 (Burma) M.T. Coy.

‘The timely arrival of the East Surreys with Lewis guns on Vans from 1024 (Burma) M.T. Coy. and 784 M.T. Coy., assisted the first convoy to get back through the pass.

‘Lieut. E. R. ALLEN of 1023 (Burma) M.T. Coy., Lieut. J. P. O’SHEA of 1024 (Burma) M.T. Coy., and 2/Lieut. KIERNANDER, of 784 M.T. Coy., were with the Vans which brought up the East Surreys.

‘Casualties [M.T. Coys.]: 1 Burman driver killed, 1 Burman driver slightly wounded.’

(Notes sent from Major E. G. FLEMING, Officer Commanding, 1024 (Burma) M.T. Coy., RASC, to Lt-Col P WEIR , Commanding Officer of № 5 M.T. Column at Baiji, 31 May 1919.)

Another gallantry award to 1024 Coy was an India Distinguished Service Medal (IDSM) to 050441 Driver Kui Maung, Burma MT Coy (GGO 3/1920): ‘For courage in voluntarily returning to the rescue of the crew of an armoured car which had been abandoned during the withdrawal from the Tashlujah Pass on the morning of 15 [sic] May 1919.’ Kui Maung’s IDSM citation no doubt mirrored the efforts of Lieut. Pyett.

Claud Felix Pyett, MC, was born in 1889. He was the son of Felix Alma Pyett, draughtsman, Ordnance Survey Dept., Board of Agriculture. The family later moved from England to Scotland.

After his distinguished war service, he became a Merchant in Rangoon. C. F. Pyett married in the Rangoon Cathedral, 1921, the older Effie Maud Owens. Latterly, he became the General Manager, Ellerman’s Arracan Rice and Trading Co. (also known as Arracan Co., Ltd.). He was also an Honorary Vice Consul in Rangoon in the 1930s. The couple travelled from Liverpool to Rangoon in the 1920s and 30s: C. F. Pyett, as late as 1940.

Claud Felix Pyett, MC, died on 11 January 1962, at 115A High Street, Corleston-on-Sea (Great Yarmouth), Suffolk, leaving £5800. Effie Maude Pyett followed him on 24 July 1962, leaving £4900… (GWF: Charlie962; FindMyPast shipping records.)

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Ok, sorry about the misleading probate record, it looked like him.

Anyway here's John Patrick O'Shea. Fom the nephew of Bart Dunn who used to work at Tranwell Hall.

18056650_700532086796259_6804206586979930692_n.jpg

Edited by Peterhastie

Peter,

You forgot the magic words:

"I claim the reward of £ [Insert number between 1-999 here]"

Well done.

With regard image on post#9, I think he looks like the chap in the middle of the front row with the ball.

Dear Peter,

Super! Good work: I am grinning constantly, coupl58fb463c283bf_CaptainCalcuttaFC1910possiblyJohnPatrickOShea.jpg.adbdd468dee8494eb893a36e682a8c48.jpg58fb467ed72bf_WeekendofMedalsKimNovember2011_small.jpg.9e5a79013eb6fef58f3d2ed422dbc468.jpged with the tingling feeling of a medal collector who has won the chase - especially so as Dai has cleverly married up the portrait with the 1910 un-named Calcutta FC captain.

Well done, indeed.

Please give me your address by mailing me at thelindsayhouse@web.de and I will send you your well-deserved reward. 

Just how did you manage to contact the nephew of Bart Dunn (formerly working at Tranwell Hall)?

You have put a confirmed face to a super medal group which was already a Keeper Group in my collection. Three cheers for Peter! Three cheers for the Great War Forum!

Kindest regards,

Kim.