Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlesex Regiment

CROONAERT

Any on forum look-ups from "The Diehards in the Great War" by Wyrall, just ask...

Dave.

Hello Dave,

What does Wyrall say about the 2nd battalion on 1st July 1916? I am trying to get a clear picture of the scale of the slaughter on that sunny morning.

I have various fiures:

22 out of 600 returned

1 officer out of 23 unwounded, 50 out of 650 ORs returned

23 officers and 517 ORs (casualties)

If my gf had not left the front six weeks earlier, I would most probably not be here.

Justin

What does Wyrall say about the 2nd battalion on 1st July 1916?

1 of 2...

post-16-1103144138.jpg

2 of 2...

post-16-1103144228.jpg

Dave,

Thank you very much indeed. It makes very sobering reading.

Walter Spatz was a friend of my grandfather. I have a small faint photo of him annotated 'W. Spatz, "A Coy", 2nd Middlesex, Dec. 1915. Killed Somme 1st July 1916'. I shall scan it and post it the forum.

I still cannot believe how close my gf was to certain death.

Justin

Thank you very much indeed. It makes very sobering reading.

Dave,

I'd be interested to find out what the 1/8th Middlesex's experiences were on the first day on the Somme up at Gommecort with the 56th Division. Having just read Lyn McDonalds excellent book on the campaign, I can say I'm no closer to knowing what my Great-Uncle experienced on that day.

Justin and I have been exchanging info on the 1/8th, and commenting on the fact that we appear to be a 'minority interest group'. Nice to see someone else interested.

Thanks, Ian.

I'd be interested to find out what the 1/8th Middlesex's experiences were on the first day on the Somme up at Gommecort with the 56th Division.

Ian.

1 of 3...

post-16-1103314188.jpg

2 of 3...

post-16-1103314451.jpg

3 of 3...

post-16-1103314513.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dave, me again! (You shouldn't have such an extensive library!)

Can you let me have details for 2nd Bn around Nov 17th, 1916?

Hi Andy. (It's actually a lot more extensive than I've advertised - but that's between me and you!!! :D )

Sorry, but I've got to let you down on this one :( . Nothing in the History mentioned for the 2nd Bn between October 30th 1916 and January 1st 1917.

Dave.

Dave,

Never mind. Thanks for looking in any case. I guess the man I am interested in was just a "routine casualty" right at the end of the Battle of the Somme - one of many.

Cheers.

Andy.

Dave,

another look up if possible, ( feel free at any time to tell me to sod off if Im becoming to troublesome !!)

Middlesex regiment, are you able to look up the following for me.......

23rd Bn Middlesex, (123 Brigade, 41st Division) activties and location please for the dates 17th - 26th August 1918.

Thanks again and you are really helping me with my reserach, my great grandfather as per signature below.

Thanks Aaron.

23rd Bn Middlesex, (123 Brigade, 41st Division) activties and location please for the dates 17th - 26th August 1918.

Not a lot, but here you go.....

post-16-1104965797.jpg

Hi Dave,

As per my email to you, thank you so much. Your an absolute gem and your help here is invaluable to my research.

Kind regards Aaron.

hi dave new to all of this but would you mind looking to see 2nd bat middlsex regiment around 16th of august 1917 his is the date i have for my grt grandfathers death many thanks for your help tracy

2nd bat middlsex regiment ... 16th of august 1917 ...

(1 of 2)

No problem, tracy.

Here you are...

post-16-1105491631.jpg

2 of 2...

post-16-1105491684.jpg

it is very interesting

The author (Everard Wyrall) seems to disagree with you there Tracy!!! :D

Dave.

hi dave suppose he does as he said does not make interesting reading . how wrong he is now this is probably the most interesting piece i have on my great grandfather and where he was when he died thanks again tracy

Hello Dave

Seems you've been kept busy lately. I wonder if I could trouble you to see if the 1/8th Middlesex was involved to any degree with the rest of the 8th Division at Bois Grenier - a subsidiary action of the Battle of Loos, 25th Sept 1915. I can't find much info on this one myself.

Also, the same battalion at Leuze wood 17th Sept 1916. I have the following information a pal supplied me from the British Official History: I wonder does Wyrall cast any more light on the action? (or is the following extract from Wyrall)

...air reports gave the (XIV) corps commander a more accurate idea of the situation upon the right of the Guards, where... very few troops had penetrated beyond the first objective. Lord Cavan, therefore, cancelled the 1.30pm attack, and just before 2 pm informed the 6th Division that Straight Trench must be attacked from the north at 7.30pm after an hour's bombardment by the heavy artillery. The troops of the 6th Division which had been ordered to deliver the afternoon attack were stopped in time; but the 167th Brigade, on the immediate right of that division, was unable to get orders to the 1/8th Middlesex. This battalion, which had great difficulty in moving forward to Leuze Wood over a heavily shelled area, endeavoured to attack at 1.40pm through the 1/1st London and 1/7th Middlesex, but lost heavily to no purpose, and was eventually withdrawn to Leuze Wood. The attack was checked by help of the 21st Bavarian (Division) (left of the 5th Bavarian Division).'

Much thanks for you help so far.

Ian.

I wonder if I could trouble you to see if the 1/8th Middlesex was involved to any degree with the rest of the 8th Division at Bois Grenier - a subsidiary action of the Battle of Loos, 25th Sept 1915.

Ian.

The next 2 posts are about this one....

post-16-1105830375.jpg

...and...

post-16-1105830440.jpg