Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Suffolk Regiment

CROONAERT

Can now do on forum look-ups from the History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-27 by Murphy.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

The soldier I am interested in is

Name: CHAPMAN, HENRY WILLIAM

Initials: H W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Suffolk Regiment

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 19/04/1918

Service No: 15965

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 8.

Cemetery: SUFFOLK CEMETERY, LA ROLANDERIE FARM, ERQUINGHEM-LYS

After looking through the long long trail I came up with the following

11th (Service) Battalion (Cambridgeshire)

Formed at Cambridge, 25 September 1914, by the Cambridge and Isle of Ely TF Association. May 1915 : attached to 101st Brigade, 34th Division. 26 May 1918 : transferred to 183rd Brigade, 61st Division.

Therefore when he died he was Attd to 101st brigade 34th division

Was he likely to have died in The First Battle of Kemmel - 17th - 19th April 1918

Can you confirm any of this or am I way off track

Regards

Glyn Warwick

Hi Glynn.

On the night of the 17/18th April the Bn was relieved, moving into reserve trenches then back to Boeschepe. He either Died of wounds recieved in the previous few days (Battle of Kemmel Ridge) or he was KIA in these reserve trenches.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

Much appreciated

Glyn

Dave

Sorry to trouble you again but could you please tell me what the 12th Battn were doing on or around the 22 aug 1916 as I am researching another KIA on that date.

Thanks

Glyn

Dave

Sorry to trouble you again but could you please tell me what the 12th Battn were doing on or around the 22 aug 1916 as I am researching another KIA on that date.

Thanks

Glyn

Not a lot mentioned for this month really. They were holding the line in the Maroc and Loos sectors (including the Double Crassier) - "4 days in the line and 4 days in support with monotonous regularity" and engaged in several successful trenchraids throughout August.

Dave.

Dave

Thanks again - it all helps piece together the jigsaw

Glyn

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your kind offer of Suffolk regiment look ups from Murphys book. Wondered if you could look up two items for me. Can you please give me a activity of and location of the following Suffolk Batalions as follows.

2nd Suffolks (9th Brigade 3rd Division) Dates 13th to 17th June 1918

11th battalion Suffolks (183 Brigade, 61st Division) dates 21st June - 13th July 1918

Thanks Dave, your a star.

Best regards Aaron.

2nd Suffolks (9th Brigade 3rd Division) Dates 13th to 17th June 1918

1 of 2...

post-16-1104966423.jpg

...2 of 2...

post-16-1104966474.jpg

11th battalion Suffolks (183 Brigade, 61st Division) dates 21st June - 13th July 1918

A relatively quiet period for this battalion.

June was spent training at Guarbecque before entering the line in the St.Floris sector. On June 30th they went into brigade reserve at Hamet Billet....They remained in the St.Floris vicinity (vertex of the German salient on the Lys) for the rest of the month and into July.

July was uneventful with only minor incidents. Days were quiet and the nights only broken by artillery bombardments and the odd raid. During the 9th/10th they were sent back to St.Hilaire in GHQ reserve.

Dave.

Dave,

What can I say, thank you so much for your prompt and very informative response. Just to let you know what Im doing. Im putting together the war service history of my Great Grandfather who served in the RFA, his artillery unit supported various divisions througout 1918, and Im piecing together what actions those divisions were involved so I can get a complete picture. I have also ordered from the NA his unit war diary.

I may ask for some more info from you, if I impose too much please just let me know, but once again thank you so much for your information. Im slowly peicing it all together, and your help realy truly is invaluable.

Kind regards Aaron.

• 4 weeks later...

As per my announcement - I'll be doing no more "look-ups" on this thread.

Sorry!

Dave. :)