Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian soldiers discovered at Arleux

Mark Hone

I understand that the bodies of two Canadian soldiers were discovered near Arleux a couple of years ago. It was strongly suspected that one of them might well be Bury Grammar School old boy 2/Lt Tom Birtwistle Douglas, who was killed during 10th Battalion CEF's attack on the village on 28th April 1917. However, DNA comparisons with a living relative did not provide a match. Does anyone know further details?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this. It looks from a report I have read that the other body was actually found at Thelus rather than Arleux.

Edited by Mark Hone

• 2 weeks later...

Coincidentally I asked our Canadian contacts if they could provide details on the 2nd Unknown. They kindly agreed and I then took a look at who it might be. Our DND were taking a broad approach that it could encompass almost anyone during the war, but given the precise location I don't think there was any doubt that was during the assault on Vimy Ridge - right at the Canadian front lines.

I have put that information on the CEFSG Forum here:

Remains Located: Found near Arras September 27, 2012

If I really go out on a limb, there was one man of the 18th Battalion that was reported killed very early in the attack, while still in the front line trenches (Pte. Wesley Charles Burnard #803058). We know from the historical records that the advance of the 18th was very quick, with the first objective reached in the first 3 minutes. There are no significant details for the others, killed in the advance, other than the 4pm casualty (Pte. Charles Duncan Compton #769230), which eliminates him. 

Pte. Burnard would have almost 23 years old at the time and was 5 feet 9 inches. Looks like he was born and raised in London, Ontario. The LAC system is down at the moment so I cannot check his service record. There is a photograph of him on the CVWM .

1565887_t1.jpg

u31bw68k32levgy6g.jpg