Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1922 military census ireland

mammyleahy

Hi every1

I have discovered a great grand uncle whom apparently was a soldier and i am wondering how to find him without a regiment number.

Through a subscription website i found 1 record. 1922 military census.Regiment no is blank and remarks say "not on pay"

i know he was not serving in 1901..cant find him 1911 household census and he married in wexford 1924.poor man passed away quite young in a psychiatric hospital

any direction or guidance  is greatly appreciated

Kilkenny_2_Division_Southern_Command_Page_30.pdf

Edited by mammyleahy

Hi Mammyleahy

As far as I know the 1922 military census is an Irish National Army database and applies to post WW1 and post Irish independence so this is the wrong forum being dedicated to WW1. You also haven't given his name. I would try an Irish forum like Boards.ie and supply relevant info.

Dave

It would really help if you give us as much info as you can, starting with their full name, date of birth and where born / living.

It's an Irish National Army 1922 Census query per this similar topic.

• Admin

Threads merged 

Michelle 

Thanks all so much for replies and apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I receantly,through an old letter found,have been in touch with his granddaughter which is where i got the information that he was a soldier in the war.hopefully they can track a photo or a medal 

FACTS..

a)John Phelan b 1884 tullowglass co kilkenny

b)on passenger list to new york 27 jan 1911(name of person going to links and address

c)on 1922 militsry census but without a regiment no and not on payroll...dont know what that indicates

d)married 1924 in bannow wexford

e)committed around 1935 to hospital enniscorthy

d)died about 1940

storyhis grandaughter had was he apparently suffered mentally after the war and her mother/his daughter was a child when he was comited to hosp

i would like to find out if he did go to the war or just get the truth for him

many thanks

D

just got an email with medals if any one can enlighten me

medals.JPG

Edited by mammyleahy

That look like a mix of British and Irish medals. Obviously he served in British Army in WW1 and subsequently joined Free state army. The 1939/1945 medal is for Reserve service. In the then FCA or local defence force. 

Thanks for the further info. The forum can definitely help now!

The medal bottom right shows he served in World War 2 in the Irish Local Defence Forces.

He enlisted on the 20th January 1915 and was discharged wounded on the 18th of January 1916.

He was awarded the Silver Wound badge. That's all I can find.

The Defence Forces Military Archives may have something on him. They are very helpful and are located in Portobello Barracks in Dublin.

Dave

Edited by depaor01
Additional Info

Gunshot to left leg while serving with the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots,.from FMP.

Edited by museumtom

Tom

Did you have a date for the wounding ? I am thinking that this was the diversionary attack at 2nd Bellewaarde on 25 Sep 1915 as the 2 RS lost many soldiers on that day,trying to divert the Germans' attention away from the main attack at LOOS. War Diary gives casualties as 10 Officers and 264 Other Ranks (killed 63/wounded 163 and missing 38). I would say there is a fair chance that as a result of this John Phelan was wounded and later discharged due to the wounds in Jan 1916.

Edited by sotonmate

Hi

with his medals, the two on the left side should have his name and details around the rims-

John Phelan Royal Scots Pte 20174.

Looks like the medals were originally sent out with wrong surname spelling -Phelon- returned, corrected and sent back out.

Address on MIC - Milltown, Rathnew, Co Wicklow, Ireland

regards

Robert

Thanks all..this is great.i will ask to check medals for details..is there anyway of knowing where he enlisted and would that have his DOB and birth address recorded..I have home on a passenger list to New York in 1911.could he have enlisted there?

Thanks again this is amazing 

Hi,

You'll find his place of enlistment and residence listed on the Soldiers Died In The Great War CD Rom. It won't have his DOB listed there.

Steve Y

i am subscribed to FMP and did find a record stating just "wounded" am wondering where i can find detail of left leg tom?

have a letter from his wife to his brother dated 1939 stating he was in hospital for 2 years and first he lost use of his leg and the rest followed..what they must have experienced!!???!

Whatever became of wounded discharged soldiers...from my research they werent very welcome in Ireland and many seemed to move regularly from place to place.might explain kilkenny then wicklow and resting in wexford??

would 1922 census army record have all those origionally enlisted on it even if they were discharged

So many questions

Dee