Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stannington, Northumberland WW1 project

Richard M Tolson

I am currently working on a book to be released next year (2018) which tells the story of the men who left the parish of Stannington in Northumberland to serve in the Great War. I am interested to know if anyone has any information on anyone from Stannington, or with a Stannington connection. 

The men who left to serve were a mixture of locals and either staff or inmates from three institutions n the parish, namely Netherton Training School (a boys reformatory), Gateshead Borough Asylum and Philipson's Boys Colony (a farm colony to teach agriculture to deprived inner city boys). I have an extensive list of names (see attached) largely thanks to the then Vicar of the parish, who recorded them in the parish magazines of the time. I have a large amount of information on some men which I would be happy to share, but very little on others.

Any information would be very welcome. 

List of Men 4.pdf

Not sure if ex CSM Luke Stuart 4th NF., falls into your remit. Pension Records

b 1874 Lemington. d 1965 Thomas Taylor Homes, Stannington.

Served at Omdurman 1898 - Occupation of Crete - South Africa 1899-1902 - WW1 - Local Home Guard 1944?.

Family Tree on Ancestry

I think this is him aged 65-70

Capture.JPG

Edited by Peterhastie

Stuart seems to have been a Newburn man.

Richard - a couple of the names appear to have a possible link to Bedlington. Is that within the catchment area?

Peterhastie

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately he wasn't in Stannington during WW1

IPT

Names could have a link to Bedlington as it is nearby.

Richard

• 5 months later...

My two great uncles William and Frank Monaghan were inmates at one time at Netherton Training School
There names are added on the Roll of Honour at the Netherton Training School:
http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8149

William Monaghan is wrongly recorded in the booklet as R.S.B.? (Royal Scots Borderers?) And the Roll of Honour as 1st K.O.S.B (1st Kings Own Scottish Borderers?)

William Monaghan who left the Netherton Training School about 1906 And joined the Royal Scots Regiment

He is on the 1911 census at Allahabad, India with the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Regiment

William Monaghan Private 9918
1st Battalion Royal Scots Regiment
Age 27 who died on Sunday 9th May 1915 at Sanctuary Wood (Hill 62) Zillebeke, Belgium
William was born Wednesday 29th June 1887 at 10 Dunn Street Jarrow

He lived Jarrow

He enlisted Haddington, Edinburgh
Oldest son of William Monaghan and Catherine Monaghan (nee Casey) from Jarrow (both formerly from Tydavnet, County Monaghan)
Commemorated on Menin Gate Ypres. Panel 11

His younger brother Frank Monaghan Private 3428 of 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

They both served out in India before WW1
Frank Monaghan who left the Netherton Training School about 1909 and signed up 11th August 1909 in Devonport with the Royal Navy age 18.
And served on HMS Vivid I, HMS Mars, HMS Andromeda and HMS Monmouth.
He is on the 1911 census on board the HMS Monmouth in the China Squadron at Colombo, India as an AB age 19.
While on the HMS Monmouth he struck a non-commissioned Officer and after 7 days in the cells he was dishonourably discharged from the Royal Navy on 5th August 1911.
(Ironically the HMS Monmouth a Battle Cruiser built in 1903 was sunk by the Nurnberg at the Battle of Coronel in the Falklands on the 1st of November 1914 with the loss of all hands)
He joined the 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers in 1912

Frank Monaghan Private 3428 of the 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.
Who died age 23 on Monday 22nd February 1915 at La Chapelle Farm, Ypres (Hill 60)

He is commemorated at Hooge Crater Cemetery. Ieper. West-Vlaanderen Belgium on Special Memorial 13 for those who died at La Chapelle Farm.
Frank was born Saturday 23rd May 1891 at 10 Dunn Street Jarrow.
He lived Jarrow

He enlisted Jarrow
He was the youngest son of William and Catherine Monaghan (nee Casey) from Jarrow (both formerly from Tydavnet, County Monaghan)

Frank and his older brother William attended the Netherton Reformatory Training School, Near Morpeth
They are both commemorated in the book of names dated 1921 of 74 who died of wounds or sickness who attended the Netherton Reformatory Training School
And the Roll of Honour for the Netherton Reformatory Training School
William Monaghan is in the booklet as R.S.B.? (It should be R.S.) And on the Roll of Honour as 1st K.O.S.B.? (It should be 1st R.S.)
Frank Monaghan N.F.
Frank was apprenticed as a Tailor as was his older brother William
I have a photo of William in his Royal Scots uniform and Frank in Royal Navy uniform (he served later in army but have no photo)

A few more ex inmates from Jarrow:
There names are also added here at the Netherton Training School:
http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8149

From Wallsend who was living in Jarrow when he died (he worked in the Palmer Shipyard in the Galvanizing Works in Jarrow prior to enlistment in 15th DLI)
Robert Bryanton Private 204279
15th Battalion Durham Light Infantry
Age 22 who died on 23rd October 1917
Born 1896 Wallsend (as Robert Brianton)
Lived and enlisted Jarrow
Son of late Frank Bryanton and Susannah Amer (formerly Bryanton nee Cottenham) of 8 Cambrian Street Jarrow
Grave/Memorial Reference: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. XXII. A. 4
He is mentioned in the Booklet 1914-18 Netherton Training School (Those killed or died of wounds or sickness)
He is also commemorated on the Palmer Cenotaph in Jarrow and the Triptych in St. Paul’s Church Jarrow
Robert Bryanton (inmate) aged 15 is on the 1911 Census at Netherton Training School Morpeth
Chief Resident Officer: Mr. W. H. Banister
(ages of inmates range from 14 to 18)

Martin Duffy Private 8512
2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers
Age 20 who died on 8th May 1915
Born, enlisted and lived Jarrow
Son of Patrick and Mary Anne Duffy (nee Kelly) of Jarrow
Grave/Memorial Reference. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Panel 8 and 12

Edited by Curlew1919
mistakes to text