Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Restaurants in Etaples

bobpike

Spending a few days after Christmas in the environs of Etaples & would be most grateful for details of any good restaurants there. I'm looking at the 'classier' end in quality & price & don't particularly want Le Touquet. Fussy, eh!

You will not be disappointed with the seafood restaurant in Etaples.I believe it is owned by the fishermens cooperative.I do not recollect its name but the name is lit up at night in blue neon.

It is situated on the main D940 going through the town on the right and at the edge of a car park.

this isnt realy anythink to do with food but if your going to etaples cem my great grandad is buried there. his name is arthur thomas bird of the coldstream guards, he died may 1918 of his wounds. I have been twice to visit this year, once in June when i planted a rose bush, and then in november ehen i went for the 11th.

If you have time could you please visit him. He is buried on the far right if the grounds and i think that maybe them graves are not visited much.

have a lovely trip. very jelous, roll on 05 to get me back over there.

karen. :)

Birdy,

Sorry to have been slow in replying, I've been away. I will definitely visit your great grandad, no problem! Photos wanted?

Bob

I too would recommend the neon lighted restaraunt in Etaples, but also any of the places in Montreuil. Sadly I also can't remember the name of it!

If you are heading back to the channel ports, the Speranza in Wimereaux is an excellent restaurant, and you can of course then go to the cemetery and see John McCrae.

have a great trip!

According to my rear gunner,the fisherman's cooperative restaurant at Etaples is the Aux Pecheurs d'Etaples.The address is 31,Grande Rue and as I said it is on the right hand side of the D940 going south through the town.You cannot miss the blue neon lights.

At Wimereux,the L'Atlantic hotel restuarant on the seafront is said to have a good reputation as seafood restaurant.I cannot report on it as we could not reserve a room for an overnight stay and on that occasion we stayed at the Baie Hotel,Etaples which is very close to, and ideal for a visit to the Military Cemetery.

Parking may also be a problem at the L'Alantic but it would not put me off staying there or having a meal.

You will not be disappointed with the seafood restaurant in Etaples.I believe it is owned by the fishermens cooperative.I do not recollect its name

I think you may mean Aux Pecheurs d'Etaples.

Yes - it serves freshly caught and nicely cooked sea food and fish. You can also buy fresh fish to take home.

The view from the picture windows across to the estuary is very bleak.

Gwyn

Frank - we posted simultaneously!

• 2 weeks later...

Karen/Birdy,

Visited Etaples very early on the morning of New Year's Eve & placed a cross on great-grandad's grave for you. Sorry, but it was so gloomy & dismal that photography was impossible, but he is remembered,

Bob