Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Albert Ball VC DSO**MC-Exhibition 1 March -17 July 17 Nottingham Castle

mark holden

For those forum members with a VC and aviation interest the Museum of the Mercian Regiment has a temporary exhibition within its museum gallery to commemorate the life of Albert Ball VC DSO** MC. The Exhibition opened today and will run until 17th July 2017. The museum is located within Nottingham Castle. We have been very fortunate to secure items that belonged to Albert Ball from his great niece. These have not been on public display before. Also included are items of Albert's from the Nottingham Castle reserve collection. These were given to the City by his father after Albert's death in  May 1917 and are not normally on public display. For those who wish to burn a few calories we will also be organising walking tours of key sites of Albert Ball interest within the city. Dates to follow.

Nottingham Castle details

http://www.nottinghamcastle.org.uk/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark, Thanks for putting this information of the Ball centenerary exhibition on the forum. I'll make sure I visit this early and would like to time it with the walks you mentioned taking place on your post. Do you have a list of dates available yet? Also would you be able to state where they will start from?

Regards

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Will pop down and have a look, not been much publicity.  When the Trent 2 Trenches exhibition was held  in 2014 I have the privilege of handling Capt. Balls medals...but which one of the medals should not be part of the set?

Capt Ball.jpg

3 hours ago, TrooperKerry said:

Will pop down and have a look, not been much publicity.  When the Trent 2 Trenches exhibition was held  in 2014 I have the privilege of handling Capt. Balls medals...but which one of the medals should not be part of the set?

The 1914-15 Star - Ball, though signing up in 1914, not being entitled due to only serving overseas from early 1916. You'd think his father wouldn't need to embellish a group with a VC in it! I'm surprised if they still display it like that...

Edited by Andrew Upton

Any information on Albert Ball being a member of the 1st Cadet Battalion, KRRC?

See here:

I'm still no further forward on corroborating this reference from the 1974 KRRC Association Newsletter.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 01:05, Andrew Upton said:

The 1914-15 Star - Ball, though signing up in 1914, not being entitled due to only serving overseas from early 1916. You'd think his father wouldn't need to embellish a group with a VC in it! I'm surprised if they still display it like that...

His father , Alderman sir Frederick Ball was a very driven man who wanted Pip Squeak & Wilfred, and when the Medals Office refused to issue the 14/15 star he threatened to send the VC back to the King. So ...he got his way and yes they have been on display in the Nottingham Castle Museum since ?? well as long as I can remember & still are.. Its quite well known around the locals like me & suppose its just part of the history now.

Edited by TrooperKerry
anyway..good call Andrew

The rest of the exhibition is well worth a look as well as the Ball collection. Some really nice medal groups.

Trev