Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIBISA

The MIBISA Archive Project was created as a result of the lack of photographic records Worldwide, and especially in South Africa, of Headstones related to Military Burials. There are similar projects underway in England, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, to which MIBISA donates related photographs in digital form.

During field trips in the Western Cape numerous headstones were found to be in bad repair, overgrown, inaccessible or not easy to locate. The condition of these headstones has been brought to the attention of various officials in the hope that the situation can be rectified, but further pressure is needed.

Every effort will be made to provide and co-ordinate activities for those interested in Military Graves and Memorials of all conflicts, located in South Africa, and to foster public interest in Military Graves and Memorials as regards preservation of these by co-operation with, and assistance to, all other preservation groups, Museums, Societies and Organisations.

The intention is to photograph and archive information on Military Graves and Memorials, build up a database and to make such information available to it’s members, and non-members, wishing to use this information for research. At no time will the passing of photographic Information be turned into a commercial project.

Members will be encouraged to submit photographs to the archive, and it is hoped to build up a network of Volunteers within South Africa to assist with this.

Membership is open to any person, subject only to the limitations laid down in the Constitution. A copy of which will be made available on request, and is also published on the MIBISA home page at http://mibisa.exactpages.com

To date, MIBISA has been recognised by the South African Military History Society, and the South African Heritage Resource Agency as well as several literary/Military History experts in South Africa

Colyn Brookes

MIBISA (Military Burials In South Africa) Archive Project

Volunteer, British War Memorial Project

SA Coordinator, Australian War Graves Photograph Archives

http://mibisa.exactpages.com

cedwardb@mweb.co.za

post-19-1103020484.jpg

The MIBISA Archive Project should not be confused with the SAWGP. I live in South Africa, Ralph lives in Canada. Imagine me doing a project on Canadian Burials Worldwide.

The MIBISA project first started under another name, centered on Cape Town back in 1991. It was after several requests from overseas people that the project was revitalised. I have spoken at length with Ralph via E-Mail, and I am also confused that the SOUTH AFRICAN WAR GRAVES PROJECT based in Canada includes ANY War Grave, be it South African, Indian, Canadian, British or whatever, whereas the MILITARY BURIALS IN SOUTH AFRICA project only involves burials in South Africa. As I progress, I pass the Canadian on to Canada, Australian on to Australia, British on to Britain etc. I am in fact cutting a CD for Richard in the UK now. All that is on the CD are British Graves and Memorials.

If you are still confused, please contact me.

Regards from Cape Town