Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bunkers

kelly

Evening all,

I and a small group are touring from Plugsteert to Dixmuide in a couple of weeks and would like to take in as many accessible bunkers as possible.

Any experts able to help please.

Garry

Kelly, in and around Ploegsteert, and between there and Ypres town, there are quite a number of British bunkers. Some of these have very interesting histories, worth visiting, and are more or less complete, some could be described as bits of broken concrete. All of these, together with the ones to the north of Ypres, are shown - with maps and GPS co-ords - in the book "Armageddon's Walls".  

There are some German bunkers to the east and north of Messines, which are shown on maps in "Messines" in the Battleground series. 

North of Ypres, the Dixmuide road approximates to the dividing line, with a number of German bunkers on the eastern side, around Langemark/Pilkem and up to Dixmuide. 
Hope this helps....if you have any specific questions let me know.

Peter

Garry,

I can highly recommend the books mentioned, I always try to visit bunkers in any areas I go to. I use them as a reference for the areas I'm going to, to plan visits to the remaining bunkers.

Mick

Edited by Mick D