Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GEW 88 markings : ID confirmation

4thGordons

Could anyone confirm the unit markings here and shed some light on the last marking (all on a recently acquired 1889 Danzing G. Mod 88)

First the unit markings:

2-26GEW-1.jpg

58.R. R.6.184

2-26GEW-3.jpg

110. R. 9. 226

And then a manufacturer mark?

2-26GEW-6.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Chris

8 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Could anyone confirm the unit markings here and shed some light on the last marking (all on a recently acquired 1889 Danzing G. Mod 88)

58.R. R.6.184

110. R. 9. 226

And then a manufacturer mark?

First one should be (1877 regulations up to 1909 version) 58 Reserve Regiment 6 Company weapon 184

Second is (1909 regulations) 110 Reserve Regiment 9 Company weapon 226.

The change in style comes with the 1909 regulations (if I remember correctly). A script R.R is a reserve infantry regiment by the 1877 regulations, but is a recruiting depot by the 1909 ones - but these don't normally have company numbers (and anyway this mark is the older one). A script R with the 1909 regulations is a reserve regiment 

The last mark is a new one to me... Re-conditioning? 

Julian

Could

7 minutes ago, trajan said:

The last mark is a new one to me... Re-conditioning? 

Julian

Could be - it is on the steel cover that blocks the bottom of the magazine (not actually sure what to call it!) on the 88/05 and 88/14 variants

I had a quick look in Storz Vol 2 (88 and 91 firearms) and nothing there like it, nor in any of my German reference works. And off to bed now but I'll think on... Has this one been altered in any way? Note also that official marks (production, etc.,) are usually on the receiver...

40 minutes ago, trajan said:

I had a quick look in Storz Vol 2 (88 and 91 firearms) and nothing there like it, nor in any of my German reference works. And off to bed now but I'll think on... Has this one been altered in any way? Note also that official marks (production, etc.,) are usually on the receiver...

These parts were added when the rifles were modified from the original format to take the "S" patrone (pointed (spitzer) bullet) and use mauser style stripper clips and allow for single loading (rather than the earlier en-bloc style clip). As I understand it, the change in bullet also required to some modifications to the chamber and bore (rifles modified being designated Model 88S). These changes were started in 1905 (leading to the 88/05 designation) and then there was a very similar set of modifications started in 1914 so there is also an 88/14 designation although I am unclear as to the precise distinction and if there was a difference apart from the date of the program. So yes, the rifle has been modified and has the large S stamp on the receiver to indicate this. This part would have been added at this time I believe.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Chris, I have seen that part described as a "sheet steel magazine cover". I assume that odd marking is the manufacturer's logo with the date of manufacture. It could be any old sheet metal workshop that made them. 

I happen to have a very good reference by Walter which goes into quite a lot of detail on these Gew 88 conversions, so if you wanted to post a photo of the breech and stripper loading system that might help.

Also look for a small "n" marking located around the barrel, chamber area, as that could indicate that it was part of the conversions that were done in 1914. There are differences between the 88/05 and 88/14.

No "n" that I can see:

Standard imperial proofs, S stamp and Turkish moon.

2-26GEW-1-2.jpg

2-26GEW-2-2.jpg

2-26GEW-4.jpg2-26GEW-3-2.jpg

Looks to be in fairly nice condition for a Gew 88 that came through the Turkish "system".! So it appears to have had a couple of conversions in its time. Firstly the upgrade to the S-Patrone cartridge from 1903, becoming the Gew 88/S (S mark) and subsequently being converted for charger loading, the standard Gew 88/05 configuration, from 1906. This involved the addition of a cutout on the breech, and on the side of the receiver for the thumb to press the rounds into the magazine. The charger guides were attached over the receiver and some modifications were made to the interior of the magazine. The magazine cover was added to cover the hole in the bottom as it now served no purpose. Some of the 88/05 were later retrofitted with these from 1914, which would explain the date that is stamped on yours.

Thanks for that. Confirms what I thought in the main. I took a bit of a gamble on this rifle because I thought it looked more original than the other example I have (and it was Cheap!) it is indeed in very nice shape (bore etc is excellent and it has the earlier rear sight with the longer "thumb" adjuster on the right side.) The seller  did not mention the Turkish marking (also on the bolt) which is a little disappointing but given the price I really cannot complain at all.  I suspect it has been refinished (probably after surplussing out) although it was done reasonably sympathetically and probably quite a long time ago - it may be that this is the arsenal refinish. There are no import stamps on the rifle (required in the US since 1968) so that probably means it was an earlier import.

I suppose I shall have to look for a pointy thing for it now.

Chris

May I suggest one of these "pointy things" ... the Seitengewehr 1871 :thumbsup:

Regular issue with the Gew 88 during the war, usually to 2nd-line Landwehr and Landsturm troops.

But unfortunately you will probably have to sell the rifle in order to buy the bayonet ... knowing you that ain't going to happen.! :P

S1871.jpg

14 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Looks to be in fairly nice condition for a Gew 88 that came through the Turkish "system".! So it appears to have had a couple of conversions in its time. Firstly the upgrade to the S-Patrone cartridge from 1903, becoming the Gew 88/S (S mark) and subsequently being converted for charger loading, the standard Gew 88/05 configuration, from 1906. This involved the addition of a cutout on the breech, and on the side of the receiver for the thumb to press the rounds into the magazine. The charger guides were attached over the receiver and some modifications were made to the interior of the magazine. The magazine cover was added to cover the hole in the bottom as it now served no purpose. Some of the 88/05 were later retrofitted with these from 1914, which would explain the date that is stamped on yours.

Would you be so kind as to provide a reference for that 1903 date? But note that the Gew.88/S is strictu sensu, according to the chap who has looked at the documents(Storz!) a Gew 88 that has been adapted for 'S'ammunition AND has sights adapted for this. As for the Gew 88/05, this was approved for service with that designation in January 1907, trials having taken place from April-October 1906 - again Storz.

Edited by trajan

7 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

May I suggest one of these "pointy things" ... the Seitengewehr 1871 :thumbsup:

Regular issue with the Gew 88 during the war, usually to 2nd-line Landwehr and Landsturm troops.

But unfortunately you will probably have to sell the rifle in order to buy the bayonet ... knowing you that ain't going to happen.! :P

Cheaper than a rifle where I come from! Of the four that I have, three are unit-marked, and one has a shrapnel/bullet scar on the crossguard.

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Would you be so kind as to provide a reference for that 1903 date?

I suspect that the 1903 date may refer to April 1903 when the 7.92x57 S Patrone was officially introduced (after which modification would be needed)

Chris

On 2/27/2017 at 03:45, 4thGordons said:

No "n" that I can see:

Standard imperial proofs, S stamp and Turkish moon.

2-26GEW-2-2.jpg

2-26GEW-4.jpg

Hi Chris,

In case you did not know I thought I'd explain those 'fraktur' markings from right to left - well, as I understand them.

The first one (partly visible) was applied after the barrel and bolt was inspected and approved for further work. The second was applied after the barrel and bolt had been 'power-proofed', i.e., test-fired. The third one was applied to indicate that the receiver had been hardened. The mark above this looks to be a crowned 'RC' mark, as these were apparently usually placed here, over the third 'fraktur'. This means that something wrong had been noticed at the time it came around to the third inspection and so the weapon was submitted to a 'Revision Commission' for checking and they approved it for issue as whatever the original reason for initially rejecting the item for approval, it stilled fulfilled the fit and function requirements.... If it is not an 'RC' mark, then as I understand it, this will be the inspection mark added after the receiver was adapted

The 'St' mark is apparently a mystery one - I have seen a reference to that somewhere in the literature but as rifles are not my thing I can't remember where! I'll try and find it...

The 'S' cartridge was indeed introduced 1903 - officially approved, as I understand it, on 23 March that year. The 'S' mark on yours should indicate that if it was in service use, then it was modified between then and an official deadline of 01 October 1905. Apparently a trained team could do 35-40 rifles per hour! But note, this not make it an '88 S', as that version has the re-calibrated sight for use with 'S' ammunition. 

Note incidentally also that until 1890, the maker's mark was usually central to the receiver before being moved to a lower position. Are there no marks on the other side of the receiver? What about butt marks?

On the Turkish side of things, the original plan was that to send all those 88/05 rifles not used by occupation troops to the Ottoman Empire during the summer of 1916. Bavaria was ready to send 50,000 in the summer of 1917, and a total of 130,000 were sent in November 1917. These were usually/always marked with Farsi (Ottoman) numbers on the sight - what do you have?

Best wishes,

Julian

Edited by trajan
Add extra information - the sight marking question

The left receiver rail has the model mark and serial number and a couple of small stamps.

GEW88-1.jpg

There are traces of Fraktur style stampings on the right of the butt but they have largely been erased by refinishing the wood at some time in the last century.

GEW88-1-2.jpg

The rear sight has standard "arabic" numbers, I am not certain if it has been modified or not. The left side of the sight base is stamped 7,93 which may be a clue.

(hmm photo upload has failed -- I will investigate and post them when I work out what is wrong!)

Edited by 4thGordons
add pics (WORKING NOW!)

6 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

The rear sight has standard "arabic" numbers, I am not certain if it has been modified or not. 

Yes Chris, your rear sight has been modified to accommodate the S-Patrone ammunition. The existing graduations and numbering have been partly erased with the new range numbering quite roughly stamped in. The original leaf sight would have shown graduations from 450 - 2,050 metres. Your current sight leaf shows graduations from 500 - 2,000 metres and the stampings are in different positions, as per the changed trajectory profile for the S-Patrone.     

Edited by shippingsteel

PS. I am now wondering if this piece of "rough workmanship" was undertaken during its Turkish ownership. Because it does appear to only have involved scrubbing of the numerals and their replacement, the graduations seem to be the same, and it is NOT an earlier type sight leaf. Being a Turkish used Gew 88 it most likely had the Eastern-Arabic numerals on the leaf originally when it was shipped from Germany. Apparently during one of Attaturk's reforms he ordered the removal of all signs of the old Ottoman writing and numbers, so I believe that is what we may be seeing here. The style of workmanship is decidedly Turkish.! Of course this had no effect on the rear sight's effectiveness in aiming the round. It was always and continued to be appropriate for the S-Patrone ammunition.

GEW88.jpggew88_rsight.jpg

10 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

PS. I am now wondering if this piece of "rough workmanship" was undertaken during its Turkish ownership. Because it does appear to only have involved scrubbing of the numerals and their replacement, the graduations seem to be the same, and it is NOT an earlier type sight leaf. Being a Turkish used Gew 88 it most likely had the Eastern-Arabic numerals on the leaf originally when it was shipped from Germany. Apparently during one of Attaturk's reforms he ordered the removal of all signs of the old Ottoman writing and numbers, so I believe that is what we may be seeing here. The style of workmanship is decidedly Turkish.! Of course this had no effect on the rear sight's effectiveness in aiming the round. It was always and continued to be appropriate for the S-Patrone ammunition.

Well, certainly an odd- and make-shift piece of work there. I'll try and copy some of the original documentation on this matter to post later, but I would object to SS's characterisation of this as 'decidedly Turkish'!  The secondary numbers are too neatly done and positioned! And as for "Apparently during one of Attaturk's reforms he ordered the removal of all signs of the old Ottoman writing and numbers", there is simply no hard evidence for this statement that I am aware of. However, I can go with that reasoning - but even so, it begs the question: why wasn't the sight provided with 'Farsi' numbers' in the first place? Look carefully to see if it has been milled for the new numbers. Be that as it may, certainly a story here...

18 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

The left receiver rail has the model mark and serial number and a couple of small stamps.

GEW88-1.jpg

So, 'crown' to indicate Prussian supply and useage - I think! I'll try and find out more about the others...

Don't quote me on this but on the Gew.98, the 'B' mark before the serial number indicates that the Bismarkhütte rolling mills provided the steel rod that became the barrel, and so perhaps likewise for your Gew.88?

13 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

GEW88.jpggew88_rsight.jpg

Absolutely correct in your assessment shippingsteel.  The crudely stamped numbers were done (after re-milling) by the Turkish military for the reason you stated.  Sorry Julian.

Edited by Gew88/05

Thanks for the confirmation Gew88/05. I have seen it stated that this "re-milling" work was done post 1928, during one refurbishment programme or another. Do you have anything further on the timeline involved.?

I think 'just about anything goes' with these Turkish rifles.! :wacko:

Edited by shippingsteel

Your time line sounds correct but my notes are in storage while we change rooms - all of my gun information is "in storage".  *sigh*

I also have the name of the maker as shown on 4thGordons' magazine cover, but can no longer remember it, hopefully I will find that in a couple of weeks when I can unpack.  IIRC, it is the mark of a well known German manufacturer of steel toys.  Isn't it funny how memories fade with age?  :)

On 3/1/2017 at 21:25, Gew88/05 said:

Absolutely correct in your assessment shippingsteel.  The crudely stamped numbers were done (after re-milling) by the Turkish military for the reason you stated.  Sorry Julian.

Not a problem there! Note my CYA get-out clause in no.18 - " However, I can go with that reasoning - but even so, it begs the question: why wasn't the sight provided with 'Farsi' numbers' in the first place? Look carefully to see if it has been milled for the new numbers.";)

;)

• 5 weeks later...
On 4.3.2017 at 19:22, Gew88/05 said:

IIRC, it is the mark of a well known German manufacturer of steel toys.  Isn't it funny how memories fade with age?  :)

With your permission.

Firma Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk

Thanks