Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed!

Gwenllia7

• Admin

The uniform is khaki drill tropical dress.  The rank badges are detachable to allow for frequent washing.  The pith or Wolseley helmet on the table completes the uniform which was worn in hot climates, typically India, Egypt etc.  

However I'm not sure it's WW1, the pipe looks later, maybe even Bakelite. There are pipe forums on the web ?!

Ken

The pipe is a straight bulldog - been around for well over 100 years. Looks like a briar (sandblasted or rusticated) with a silver mount and a vulcanite mouthpiece.

The photo is signed 'Fred'. I have always thought he was a medical man but maybe  I just assumed that because his uniform looks less formal. I have some more photographs. It appears he was station in Khartoum during the time of WW1.

All the medical uniforms I have seen are no less formal than any others ;)

What is the evidence for Khartoum? And is Fred the only name you have for him?

That's a very natty tunic for a Sergeant, collar and tie, tailored pocket flaps, bag pockets and 'TWIN' cuff buttons.

He should be put on a charge for impersonating an officer.

Haircut and style hints at the 1920's

• Admin
3 hours ago, T8HANTS said:

That's a very natty tunic for a Sergeant, collar and tie, tailored pocket flaps, bag pockets and 'TWIN' cuff buttons.

He should be put on a charge for impersonating an officer.

Haircut and style hints at the 1920's

?

I thought he looked so smooth he might be RAF...

(gets tin hat)

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

On the back of the photo it just says Fred. Another photo puts him in Khartoum in 1920. 

Could the uniform have been "locally" tailored?

RM

The first picture is of Fred in his office Khartoum April 1920. He isn't featured in the second photograph but it was taken at the same time. 

Fred in Office.jpg

Fred WW12.jpg

He did serve in WW1 I have a very faded photo dated 1917 and it was taken at either at Netley or Cosham military Hospital. That's why I thought he might be connected to the medical profession.

Try the Army Medical Services Museum as those were both Army hospitals - at least Netley was; I think Cosham was taken over temporarily. 

That said I think you may now need to google Museum of Military Medicine - sorry!

If he served in WW1 then by 1920 he should be wearing ribbons for that service unless he never left UK in which case he earned no medals for 1914-18.