Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sale & Brooklands War Memorial Hospital

Gardenerbill

Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital, originally John Leigh War Memorial Hospital, opened 1921 and closed in 1982. It was demolished a few years later and  flats were built on the site. The Memoral plack was saved and is built into the wall by the entrance:

Sale WMH.jpg

I have also managed to find a photo of the original John Leigh Memorial Hospital at Woodbourne House in Brooklands.

john-leigh-memorial-hospital2.jpg

Edited by Gardenerbill

When I moved to Sale in the mid '70's I vaguely remember Sale Cottage Hospital, would this be the same place under a different name?

Simon

Sale Cottage Hospital was on Charlton Drive. Like many others it became known as the Cottage Hospital instead of the War Memorial Hospital. It was demolished in the mid 1990s but before then was variously :

• John Leigh War Memorial Hospital (1921 c 1928)
  • Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital (c 1929 - 1947)
  • Sale and Brooklands Hospital (1948 - c1957)
  • Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital (c 1957 - 1982)            
Edited by Dragon

The building on the right of the black and white photograph is now the Lennox Lea Hotel but was once a substantial private residence. There is a John Leigh Park in nearby Altrincham, Sir John Leigh 1st Baronet of Altrincham was a wealthy Mill owner and Newspaper proprietor.

Thanks

• 5 years later...
On 24/02/2017 at 10:42, Dragon said:

Sale Cottage Hospital was on Charlton Drive. Like many others it became known as the Cottage Hospital instead of the War Memorial Hospital. It was demolished in the mid 1990s but before then was variously :

• John Leigh War Memorial Hospital (1921 c 1928)
  • Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital (c 1929 - 1947)
  • Sale and Brooklands Hospital (1948 - c1957)
  • Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital (c 1957 - 1982)            
On 23/02/2017 at 20:33, Gardenerbill said:

Sale and Brooklands War Memorial Hospital, originally John Leigh War Memorial Hospital, opened 1921 and closed in 1982. It was demolished a few years later and  flats were built on the site. The Memoral plack was saved and is built into the wall by the entrance:

Sale WMH.jpg

I have also managed to find a photo of the original building online:

this is not the Lenno x lea it is JohnLeigh war memorial  hospital  Woodbourne in Brooklands it opened in 1918 by Queen Victoras son also the lintel is from Sale Cottage not from Woodbourne house

On 23/02/2017 at 20:33, Gardenerbill said:

Sale WMH.jpg

I have also managed to find a photo of the original building online:

Edited by carol1962

14 hours ago, carol1962 said:

this is not the Lenno x lea it is JohnLeigh war memorial  hospital  Woodbourne in Brooklands it opened in 1918 by Queen Victoras son also the lintel is from Sale Cottage not from Woodbourne house

Hi Carol,

According to the National Archives John Leigh Memorial Hospital was on Charlton Drive as I posted above, link:

Sale Memorial Hospital

What is the source of your contradictory information please? 

8 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Carol,

According to the National Archives John Leigh Memorial Hospital was on Charlton Drive as I posted above, link:

Sale Memorial Hospital

What is the source of your contradictory information please? 

that was 1921...John leigh opened in 1918 at Woodbourne...heres the info https://gm1914.wordpress.com/2015/01/22/sir-john-leigh-of-altrincham/?fbclid=IwAR2uGkTAiCHsoBG3V8A8XzAz01CG-UGjTDgunaw4QZSCPKqpr9RxERPdZU0

Just now, carol1962 said:

the photo claimed to be Now Lennox Lea is infact Woodbourne house

Hi Carol, I still don't think you have made your case the information in your link states:

'John Leigh later donated his father’s former home, Woodbourne, Brooklands, together with eight acres of land, and personally financed the conversion and subsequent fitting out and maintenance of what became to be known as The John Leigh Memorial Hospital. '

There is nothing that states where in Brooklands Woodbourne House was, so it seems to me most likely that it is the building now known as the Lennox Lea Hotel.

9 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Carol, I still don't think you have made your case the information in your link states:

'John Leigh later donated his father’s former home, Woodbourne, Brooklands, together with eight acres of land, and personally financed the conversion and subsequent fitting out and maintenance of what became to be known as The John Leigh Memorial Hospital. '

There is nothing that states where in Brooklands Woodbourne House was, so it seems to me most likely that it is the building now known as the Lennox Lea Hotel.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/?fbclid=IwAR0y5b5Z1hUinvQEJvezUGx0KurF9ccNk1f-KfiW-jbTlijklsaEjEkK0H0#zoom=16.0&lat=53.41355&lon=-2.32233&layers=6&right=BingHyb

22 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

233678796_10225286906057570_8220629763753774317_n.jpg

29542105_10215082129384531_7212222037782393517_n (1).jpg

Just now, carol1962 said:

233678796_10225286906057570_8220629763753774317_n.jpg

29542105_10215082129384531_7212222037782393517_n (1).jpg

this is Sale cottage not sure why it was orignally called John Leigh unless it was also financed by them..I will go into Trafford lifetimes and try and find some more info 

39 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

I found this report for 1927-28 on the 'Internet Archive'

https://archive.org/details/b31724887

The Short History on page 7 makes no mention of the John Leigh Memorial Hospital. I am beginning to wonder if there was any connection at all.

That is brilliant ,  I have a group on facebook if ok with you I will post it on there...I wonder if it was a mistake on the Sale memorial link , its looking that way isnt it x