Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dated photographs

PaulinBont

I've got a photo of my Grandfather in uniform ( he served 1914-1917) but it is stamp- dated 1928.

Could this be  because it took that long for him to acquire it after the Great War due to the millions of photographs taken at that time? 

Could it be that he didn't want a copy earlier ( survivor's guilt' perhaps?) and didn't purchase a copy until 1928?

Or was it really taken in 1928 ?

I'm interested in what other people's thoughts on this are.

Probably the date of re-printing from an original I would guess (for whatever reason that might be).

On a similar note, I have a photo of my g grandfather with his Company football team taken when he served with the Suffolk Regiment in India in the 1890s; though the back of the photo is stamped with a photographer's address in Woodbridge, Suffolk. (It was definitely taken in the Subcontinent though, as the tropical vegetation in the photo is certainly not indigenous to Suffolk!! :D)

All the best

Steve

7 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Who was your grandfather ?

Craig

Pte. John F. Edwards ; 9th( Service) Battalion,  Devonshire Regiment 

Just now, PaulinBont said:

Pte. John F. Edwards ; 9th( Service) Battalion,  Devonshire Regiment 

Any idea of his service number ?

Craig

17 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Any idea of his service number ?

Craig

The only "official" photos I've seen are the occasional platoon ones, so it would seem most likely that this was one he specifically posed for. The 1928 date may be curious. Could it be that this was the year it was taken and the uniform is contemporary to that year?  Or it's a probably a  shot from 1914, or thereabouts  and the 1928 is either unconnected or relates to soemthing like a reprint as Steve suggests. Is there anything else on the back other than the date stamp?

On 24/02/2017 at 12:26, John_Hartley said:

The only "official" photos I've seen are the occasional platoon ones, so it would seem most likely that this was one he specifically posed for. The 1928 date may be curious. Could it be that this was the year it was taken and the uniform is contemporary to that year?  Or it's a probably a  shot from 1914, or thereabouts  and the 1928 is either unconnected or relates to soemthing like a reprint as Steve suggests. Is there anything else on the back other than the date stamp?

Just the date, seems to be a pretty 'standard pose' of uniform, hat on stand and bell tent in the background- which could have been a prop of course,  or even a backcloth!