Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme battlefields guided tour

amars8

Hallo everybody,

can anyone suggest me what's the best guided tour provider of the Somme battlefields, on the basis of his/her experience?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Alberto

This is going to be a very tricky question to answer. 

First of all, define 'best'. Then decide the type & scope of guided tour you want, bearing in mind the age and capabilities of the participants. Also, some enthusiasts will say that a guided tour is not a proper tour without returning back to base filthy & absolutely knackered!

Further, will you be walking or riding in a car or bus. This is partly determined by numbers, ages etc AND of course what the potential guide can offer. 'Pile it high & sell it cheap' or something a bit more demanding on the old grey matter?

What is important is that you are able, as you are doing, to judge the capabilities of a guide by eg reference to humble members of this Forum and other similar, whether the potential guide is a member of the Guild of Battlefield Guides, and other reference points of your choosing.

Finally, this Forum comprises very many members. Some of course guides. How many recommendations can you cope with? How will you sort them out in your own mind? don't forget you will be working 'blind'.

Hope these short scribbles help.

Martin

Edited by burlington

I have no experience of commercial tours, although I have been a member of several WFA group tours quided by members. I would suggest that you should decide what it is you want, i.e, do you want to appreciate the scope of of July 16 offensive, or is your interest mainly about a particular formation or unit. Then see what the various offers consist of. 

I did the Leger Holidays 'Remembering the Somme' tour in 2015 and really enjoyed it.

9 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I am undoubtedly the best guide on the Somme. There, you can't get a better recommendation than that! End of discussion.

:rolleyes:

Great! How much per day? :D  

1 minute ago, amars8 said:

An absolute bargain.

When are you coming? I'll put the kettle on and start planning.

15 hours ago, amars8 said:

This is going to be a very tricky question to answer. 

First of all, define 'best'. Then decide the type & scope of guided tour you want, bearing in mind the age and capabilities of the participants. Also, some enthusiasts will say that a guided tour is not a proper tour without returning back to base absolutely knackered!

Further, will you be walking or riding in a car or bus. This is partly determined by numbers, ages etc AND of course what the potential guide can offer. 'Pile it high & sell it cheap' or something a bit more demanding on the old grey matter.

What is important is that you are able to judge the capabilities of a guide by eg reference to humble members of this Forum and other similar, whether the potential guide is a member of the Guild of Battlefield Guides, and other reference points of your choosing.

Finally, this Forum comprises very many members. Some of course guides. How many recommendations can you cope with? How will you sort them out in your own mind? don't forget you will be working 'blind'.

Hope these short scribbles help.

Martin

Ken should get it due to his honesty!

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hallo everybody,

a kind suggestion again.

Before leaving, I like to be well informed not only about the events but also about places and sites.

Can be better the Michelin Guide: http://travel.michelin.co.uk/the-battlefields-of-the-somme-1753-p.asp

or the CWGC one: https://ospreypublishing.com/cwgc-battlefield-companion-somme-1916

?

Thanks,

Alberto

Let me preface this by saying Ken is something of a pal of mine, so it might be no surprise when I say I would thoroughly recommend him. He's thoroughly knowledgable about the Somme, not least as he lives there. Because he does "personal guiding", he can configure your tour to exactly what you need to see. And he's also an all round good bloke - for a scouser, of course.

His website is here - http://www.explore1914-18.com/info.html

John