Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HISTORIC ENGLAND

I'm writing an Historic England blog about animal memorials & how creatures of all kinds contributed to the war effort.

I've read that glow worms were collected by soldiers & put in a jar to give off a safe light for reading maps etc by.

I cannot find any proof of this & am wondering whether it's apocryphal? In any case could glow worms really survive & be captured in such a hostile environment as the trenches?

Does anyone have any hard evidence that it is true i.e: that, for example, one of their relatives used glow worms, or that there has been a paper written on the subject?

Nicky

Don't know about glow worms but maggots were sometimes used to clean out wounds

I would be sceptical about the glow work story, but maggots were certainly used.  The point was that they consumed putrid flesh without affecting living flesh and bone.

During WW2 Japanese soldiers used dried, crushed ostracod[e]s, which  are bioluminescent. If you press them in your palm, they emit a glow which is functional but not visible a long distance away. There is a species of marine bivalves in the UK; perhaps they could be used similarly. Sometimes the dried insects could be mixed with water to create a light.

I'm not a scientist so I can't say how this works. I'm just saying that it isn't unthinkable.

Gwyn

Edit. I googled and found a reference for the Japanese soldiers: https://www.hakaimagazine.com/article-long/secret-history-bioluminescence

Edited by Dragon
Refs

Another detail - how glowing plankton aided detection of submarine U-34 in November 1918.

New Scientist

supported by quotation from the Economist, 10th March 2011:

Indeed, one of the last German submarines to be sunk during the first world war had disturbed enough bioluminescent organisms in the Mediterranean to produce a glow that could be seen from above the surface. This light was used to track the submarine and destroy it.

Presumably a search in appropriate academic scientific literature could produce robust evidence.

Edited by Dragon
Adding quotation

If you google " lampyris noctiluca" + "first world war" you get lots of references. I can't comment on their accuracy.

Gwyn