Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family History Monthly

Rosemary Clarke

I have just managed to acquire a copy of the June issue of Family History Monthly (for some reason the newsagent chose to place this magazine on the top shelf, as opposed to other less innocent ones and consequently way out of my reach!).

That aside, there is a four-page article on Prisoners of War - The Forgotten Men of World War One by Phil Tomaselli and includes pointers for further research.

The June issue will be shortly be replaced by that for July, so if anybody would like to see a copy of the article, please let me know.

Rosemary

Guest Hill 60
(for some reason the newsagent chose to place this magazine on  the top shelf, as opposed to other less innocent ones and consequently way out of my reach!).

You're lucky! My newsagent places two magazines I get (Scotland Magazine & Medal News) in one of 8 places :angry: Each month I spend ages hunting for them whilst all other mags are in their regular places.

Maybe newsagents play a game called 'watch the customer struggle' - with apologies to any Forum members who are also newsagents!

Guest Hill 60
Maybe newsagents play a game called 'watch the customer struggle' - with apologies to any Forum members who are also newsagents!

I asked a member of staff why the mags keep appearing in various places and I was told the following:

1. New editions are put on the 'Just Out' stand for a few days before they go to their 'proper' shelf.

2. Medal News appears in either the 'Military', 'Hobbies' or 'General Interest' sections, it just depends who puts it on the shelf!

3. Scotland Magazine can go on 'Overseas Properties', 'General Interest' or the 'UK Interest' shelf.

:wacko:

The Forgotten Men of World War One.

The title is truely apt.

In my uncle's case his parents were never told his remains had been transferred from the French POW Cemetery at Wesel to Zollstock, Cologne in 1922. He parents were notified that he had died and that he was buried at Wesel.Consequently little information on his gravestone and little about him in the Register Book and if I recollect correctly a number of dead are like this at Zollstock.

From my own research I have a good idea of the camp at which he died but I cannot ascertain if other Mons Regiment prisoners were held there.I know that he died after having a leg amputated so he must have been in a POW hospital.

There is another thread on the forum regarding the splitting of medals.In my uncle's case his two brothers who went to war with him ensured that his campaign medals were eventually donated to the SWB/ Mons Regimental Museum at Brecon.( A very interesting regimental museum covering both the regiments with the nearby Brecon Cathedral reflecting the long history of the 24th Foot/SWB.)

All in all, all three sets of campaign medals are safe

Regards

Frank East

About 6 years ago I undertook a research project for the Army Museum of Western Australia which entailed compiling all the West Australians taken prisoner in WW1.

I found this to be very interesting to research as at the time it was a largely unexplored feature of WA miltary history.

After I completed this project the Museum then dedicated part of the WW1 Gallery to POW's, so I'm glad to say they haven't been forgotten.

post-6-1053405541.jpg

• 8 years later...

Hi Rosemary,

Yes please could you post a copy of the article.

WW1 POW research is my current project as like many I have links via my grandfather. I have attached just one of many postcard/photos of

My grandfather was William Watford: Born 12.10.1894 – Guestling, West Sussex.

His army details are:

Sapper B Watford 2nd Musketry –Training Battalion 1871631 & B Watford Fieldstation 252 Party “B” Company Royal Engineers

Private & Sergeant 2nd queens regiment 9702

I also know that during the 1917 ‘Battle of Arras’, France he was captured and became a Prisoner of War. I have recently found some group photographs/postcards which I believe were taken during his capitivity.

I am posting these wherever I can to share the photos and idenntify the men in them.

Regards

Phil Watford

Phil

Sergeant 9702 William Watford, The Queen's MiC shows him as 2nd Bn and entitled to 1914 Star, War & Victory medals. He landed in France on 4 October 1914 and his card is marked as POW. Having looked at his entry in the Queen's POW Book held at the Surrey History Centre (their reference QRWS/1/5/1)he is shown as serving with the 1st Bn and there is no date of his capture or notification of his being a POW. I would infer from this and the fact that he is shown as a POW on his MiC that he was captured early in the war. His relatives appear to have lived in the Kent area.

I am slightly confused as you are looking for a William Watford and then mention a B Watford who served in the Royal Engineers.

regards

Bootneck

• 3 weeks later...

My grandfather was William (known as Bill) Watford: Born 12.10.1894 – Guestling, West Sussex.

His army details are Sapper B Watford 2nd Musketry –Training Battalion 1871631 &

B Watford Fieldstation 252 Party “B” Company Royal Engineers

Private & Sergeant 2nd queens regiment 9702

I also know that during the 1917 ‘Battle of Arras’, France he was captured and became a Prisoner of War. I have recently found some group photographs/postcards which I believe were taken during his capitivity.

All the photographs were taken by ‘Frau Anna Nieworth, Gamsen Kastorp, Kr Gifhorn’.

I am now trying to attach one of the photos **Bill Watford is third row from front 4th from right- also mentioned on reverse of photos such as:

Sgt J Tudor, A I Fr and Ernest G Major(?) 13th A I T”

S Thomas 14th Battn A.I.F.

106970 Sgt Harry Bra(u?)ce R W K Rg Gr, 27853 A P Matthews R Engineers,

9863 Len Brown Cpl 1st Queens, 6551 George Quinnell

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have recently found two photo/postcards of Soltau POW Camp WW1 and have other photos of prisoners etc at watfordp1@aol.com and I will gladly send you copies.

I have attached a photo of Soltau POW camp.

Phil Watford

post-77407-0-92615200-1358520386_thumb.j