Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Christian Soldier

edwin astill

The Christian Soldier.  The Life of Lt. Col. the Rev. Bernard W William Vann, V.C., M.C and bar etc.

Charles Beresford

Helion 2017 ISBN 978-1-910777-31-2  £25

Great Britain was fortunate in having so many brave and resourceful men ready to go to their country's aid in the Great War.  None more so than Bernard Vann.

Charles Beresford has written a most interesting and valuable account of his life.   Vann was an ordained Anglican clergyman who joined the Sherwood Foresters, part of 46th Division, as a fighting soldier.       Charles Beresford gives and account of Vann's early life - school, Jesus College Cambridge, and the Church.  A full life, combining service and sport.   Much of the book is taken up with his subsequent army career, following his battalions and the 46th Division as it moved to the Western Front and up to his death in action on 3rd Oct. 1918.     There is a good account of  the notorious Gommecourt action where the 46th's "Offensive Spirit" lost it so many brave men.  Then followed a period of rehabilitating its reputation after D'Oyly Snow's infamous accusation, culminating in the Division's outstanding work in breaking through the Hindenburg Line.

There is a useful chapter on combatant Anglican Clergymen, including my hero the Rev. Edward Anthony Sydney Gell.

In his work Charles Beresford has been able to secure the help of Vann's family, who have provided some useful photographs and detail.

Edwin

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2017 at 14:52, edwin astill said:

The Christian Soldier.  The Life of Lt. Col. the Rev. Bernard W William Vann, V.C., M.C and bar etc.

Charles Beresford

Helion 2017 ISBN 978-1-910777-31-2  £25

Great Britain was fortunate in having so many brave and resourceful men ready to go to their country's aid in the Great War.  None more so than Bernard Vann.

Charles Beresford has written a most interesting and valuable account of his life.   Vann was an ordained Anglican clergyman who joined the Sherwood Foresters, part of 46th Division, as a fighting soldier.       Charles Beresford gives and account of Vann's early life - school, Jesus College Cambridge, and the Church.  A full life, combining service and sport.   Much of the book is taken up with his subsequent army career, following his battalions and the 46th Division as it moved to the Western Front and up to his death in action on 3rd Oct. 1918.     There is a good account of  the notorious Gommecourt action where the 46th's "Offensive Spirit" lost it so many brave men.  Then followed a period of rehabilitating its reputation after D'Oyly Snow's infamous accusation, culminating in the Division's outstanding work in breaking through the Hindenburg Line.

There is a useful chapter on combatant Anglican Clergymen, including my hero the Rev. Edward Anthony Sydney Gell.

In his work Charles Beresford has been able to secure the help of Vann's family, who have provided some useful photographs and detail.

Edwin

Hi Edwin - very interested in your comment relating to "my hero EAS Gell". Has anything been published relating to EAS Gell? Doug

I should have been at the book launch in Nottingham where the VC Group was brought up on loan but I was away on leave, Charles Beresford is a very interesting gentleman and disappointed that I missed it. BRONNO. 

On 4/4/2017 at 20:41, yeadon said:

Hi Edwin - very interested in your comment relating to "my hero EAS Gell". Has anything been published relating to EAS Gell? Doug

I'm not aware of anything - Charles Beresford gave an interesting talk some time ago to the Chesterfield WFA, and included quite a bit on Gell.  That sparked my interest.   

Edwin

On 4/6/2017 at 17:07, edwin astill said:

I'm not aware of anything - Charles Beresford gave an interesting talk some time ago to the Chesterfield WFA, and included quite a bit on Gell.  That sparked my interest.   

Edwin

Thanks Edwin - its just that I've done quite a bit of research on Gell, a very interesting man whose ending was quite tragic, and I thought from your reference to him that I may have missed something along the way. His grave is not far from your neck of the woods near Hopton Hall. Regards - Yeadon

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen: I've just acquired a very lovely watercolor by Lt Col (the Rev?) EAS Gell, and am quite eager to learn more about his life beyond the snippets available online.  Does anyone have information or sources they would be willing to share, even anecdotally, on or offline?  (I have purchased Beresford's book and eagerly await it as well.)

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:43, Sparklewren said:

Gentlemen: I've just acquired a very lovely watercolor by Lt Col (the Rev?) EAS Gell, and am quite eager to learn more about his life beyond the snippets available online.  Does anyone have information or sources they would be willing to share, even anecdotally, on or offline?  (I have purchased Beresford's book and eagerly await it as well.)

Sorry Sparklewrenn, have only just seen your posting requesting information about EAS Gell. I have a lot about him having done much research and visiting some years ago. Would be happy to let you have a copy for your own personal use if you can provide me with a landmail address via rowed14@talktalk.net 

• 2 years later...

I've just been given a leaflet covering 2 sides of A4 about Lt Col Revd. Edward Anthony Sydney Gell, DSO, MC, entitled 'The Grave of our Own Important Hero of the Great War with Students of Anthony Gell School'.  It states that Charles Beresford provided the information and assisted with the text and photos were provided courtesy of Brian Gell.

The leaflet states that in 1918 Gell was appointed COof 2/7th Lancashire Fusiliers with rank of Lt Col.  He was one of only three Anglican clergymen to command an infantry battalion on the Western Front.

Does anyone know who the other two were, please?

Lesley

2 hours ago, LesleyScarborough said:

The leaflet states that in 1918 Gell was appointed COof 2/7th Lancashire Fusiliers with rank of Lt Col.  He was one of only three Anglican clergymen to command an infantry battalion on the Western Front.

Does anyone know who the other two were, please?

Lesley

Answered here:

JP