Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Bert Baker 11th Battalion SWBorderers WW1

BakeyBoy

Original post on Great War Forum on 13 February 2017

I am looking for some information relating to my Grandfather, Private Bertie Baker (Reg. No. 14557), who served with the 11th Battalion of the South Wales Borderers, entering in to a theatre of war '17th July 1915'. His medal car index (Victory, British and 15 Star) shows that he was transferred to the Labour Corps (Reg. No. 514977). Family past me downs have it that he suffered lung damage as a result of gas attacks during WW1. his oldest son's birth certificate gave him as a Army Pensioner Late Private Labour Corps.

Any help, guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind reply from kenf48

I note this is the third request on an individual soldier, which until now have not been acknowledged.  The originator of the thread last visited November.  If seeking information on an individual soldier the most effective way is to start your own thread in the Soldiers sub forum.  

That said there is  an anomaly in the service of Pte Baker. The 11th (Service) Battalion (2nd Gwent), 38th (Welsh) Division did not go to France until 4 December 1915.  The service number 14557 was issued at the beginning of September 1914, almost certainly to the 5th Battalion, probably in Newport.  The 5th Battalion were Pioneers in 19th (Western) Division and landed at Le Havre on the 16th July 1915. http://www.1914-1918.net/swb.htm

At some point he appears to have transferred to the 11th Battalion SWB, and then to the Labour Corps rough guess, to the latter around June 1918.  

Might be worth looking at casualty records, or he may have transferred at his own request/benefit of service.  In the absence of a service record difficult to say.

The war diaries can be downloaded from TNA for a nominal sum, or are available on Ancestry if you subscribe.

TNA links

5  Battalion http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353030

11 Battalion http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354170

I'd suggest you take look at the parent site the LLT for advice on researching a soldier http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/

Second post on Great War Forum on 17 February 2017

Many many thanks for replying to my post, I have been trying to find out any detail of my grandfather's action for thirteen years to no avail. By coincidence, just today, I 'Googled' Pte Bert Baker South Wales Borders and found the newspaper article I have transcribed below, and knew it must of referred to him as it was sent to what I know was then his father, Williams, address in Tiverton, Devon. 

So you are quite correct in that he was somewhere in France, in the thick of shelling on Christmas Day 1915.

From the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette 07 January 1916

Pte. B. Baker, of the Welsh Borderers, son of Mr Baker, of Prospect Place, Tiverton, writing home from the firing line, describes the scenes in and around the trenches in the locality in which he was placed during Christmastide. “The bursting of shells”, he says, “lighted up the country for miles around, and I expect the Germans thought the end of the world had come. We are sending over thousands of shells every day, and for every twenty we fire across the Germans reply with two or three. It is evident the Kaiser intends to fight until he has not a man left, but as for peace, there are no signs of it. Pte. Baker then gives the menu for Christmas Day. They had for breakfast fried bacon and bread and butter; for dinner, roast beef, carrots and potatoes, oranges, apples and chocolate. Afterwards they received 15 packets of woodbines and two packets of tobacco, a shirt and pants, two pairs of socks, handkerchief, gloves and scarves. For tea, they had cake and biscuits and bread and butter.

Must be referring to Christmas 1915.

• 2 years later...

I have downloaded this document (WO 95/2071/1) and find a reference to my Grandfather 5/14557 Pte Baker,B on page 88. He is serving with the 5th Battalion SWB (Pioneers) and at a Place named Aveluy on the 14-11-16, and is mentioned in the Summary of Events and Information, which looks to overlap on to page 89.

Can anyone tell me what may have happened to him.

I know from his Ledger that he subsequently transferred to the Labour Corps 514977 with Disabilities that included GAS attributed to or aggravated by Service.

If it is the case that he was 'Gassed' I am trying to establish what he was involved in up to and including the period when the incident recorded on the War Diary for the 14-11-16.

I have also found a record on the Forces War Record site that gives "Wounded" and "This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Strip" with an incident date of 13/12/1916, although I have not been able to confirm this in the War Diary.

Hi  BakeyBoy,

15 hours ago, BakeyBoy said:

I have also found a record on the Forces War Record site that gives "Wounded" and "This man was entitled to wear a "Wound Strip" with an incident date of 13/12/1916

My guess would be that is the date of the War Office casualty list, rather than the actual 'wounding' itself which probably occurred several weeks prior, and may relate to the diary events of 14th November 1916. As a test it might be worth searching FWR for the other men noted as wounded in the diary on that day, to see If they too have the same 'incident date'.

Regards

Chris

• Admin

It's often helpful to look at the the higher level, i.e. Divisional and Brigade Diaries.  The 19th Division diary throws little light, other than the fact the Division was, in November, anticipating a major attack which was set for the 13th November.  However the 56 Infantry Brigade diary mentions the 5th SWB being ordered to move up and consolidate the positions gained by the infantry.  Unfortunately the mist lifted and they had to wait until dusk to begin work. The diary records that on the 14th there was heavy shelling by the enemy.  

There is no mention of a gas attack or gas shells being used either on the 14th or the preceding and subsequent days.  He was evacuated from the front line.

It is also worth mentioning 'GSW' was used to describe any penetrating wound.

It would seem the Pioneers were caught by artillery shells while engaged in the work listed in the diary inflicting the casualties named.

Aveluy was on the Somme and the Pioneers were billeted at Aveluy Chateau and Crucifix Corner.  The map used for the operation was Sheet 57d SE 1/20,0000

Ken