Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne Cot visitors centre good or bad?

bkristof

You maybe know or not but Passendale is planning to build a visitor centre at Tyne Cot in 2005.

There will be Autocar parkings + an info desk + toilets + a little exhibition.

Like Vimy i suppose.

The location will be at the back of the cemetary, the field that you pass when you enter from the big road.

How do you people think about it?

Is this a good thing to do? Or not needed?

Is it too commercial?

Are there things that certaily should be in it?

To me it is a typical development of tourism. Maybe the solution for the parking problems at Tyne Cot.

But my fear is that the modern building maybe disturbes the area...

I believe that we have to face the fact that the battlefields of the first world war become more and more touristic. This also means that in certain places, problems occur that have to be dealt with. The recent re-developing of the memorial parks at Vimy Ridge and especially at Beaumont-Hamel are good examples. Veterans affairs Canada brought together an international team of experts (archaeologists, historians,...) and designed 'the vimy charter'. A five pages long text that forms a charter, a theoretical and ethical framework that has to be taken into account when altering an existing battlefield site. I believe it is a very good text, and can be applied on this situation as well. If we want to respect the 'autenticity' and 'integrity' of Tyne Cot than the car park should be off-site, somewhere where it causes the least amount of disturbance for the vistors of the cemetery. The atmosphere of the cemetery forms an important part of its integrity.

I think the proposed location is a good suggestion. I even think it will improve the situation.

It is inevitable that the works will disturb the traces of the war that are underneath the soil. I think it is up to the archaeologists of the VIOE to perform a desktop study and excavation to assess the site. If they consider it too valuable to destroy, than I think this should be respected. But quite frankly, after decent excavation and recording I think there should be no harm in the car park being built, unless something really remarcable is discovered there ( I am thinking of something like a deep dug out).

I am thinking of the way they marked the outlines of the underlying trenches on the concrete of the Beaumont-Hamel car park. There are also some panels giving info on the excavations that were conducted before the car park was built. Seems like a good example for the Tyne Cot car park, if it will be built.

regards,

Bert

A year or more (two ?) ago there was a thread about this topic.

I'll try to find it back (with Search)

Aurel

This is the thread I referred to :

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3985&hl=

From August 2003.

Before discussing the desirability of a Visitor's Centre near Tyne Cot in this present thread, it might be worthwhile to read the thread I am referring to. Three pages, more than 60 replies, and with emotions running high once in a while.

Aurel

thx Aurel!

If done well, ala Vimy ... it could be tolerated ... Tyne Cot, being out in the open has a wonderful, almost mournful feel about it though ...

I'm also assuming that it would help a bit with the coaches and the restroom issue ... if more people come (good) there is more needs to accommodate them.

I would also expect our Good Belgian Gov't to keep the McDonalds, etc zoned out ... just some thougts here, but one way in America to control these sort of things is to hyjack the effort rather than fighting it. IF it is inevitable ... our actions might be a way to make sure it is done with the respect these men and their effort deserve rather than let "outsider experts" handle it.

It was moving to me that the real sign here didn't need any translation

EV01_D11_020_Vimy_Ridge_-_Candaian_Memor

I don't really worry about fast food restaurants poppin' up there... :lol:

I don't really worry about fast food restaurants poppin' up there... :lol:

Well, don't be too sure ... as a little boy, one of most memorable things about my 1960 trip to Gettysburg (started a lifetime of this) was the sign

Pickett's Charge Motel, coming soon! just on the other side of Seminary Ridge.

We have to be carefull, indeed.

were there are tourist, there is money.

were there is money, there are people who want it... :unsure:

This is the thread I referred to :

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3985&hl=

From August 2003.

Before discussing the desirability of a Visitor's Centre near Tyne Cot in this present thread, it might be worthwhile to read the thread I am referring to. Three pages, more than 60 replies, and with emotions running high once in a while.

Aurel

I did read the thread you mentioned Aurel. My conclusion is that, apart from some limited (but stubborn) opposition, almost everyone was supporting the idea.

Only one important question was not solved: what about the archeological survey before the building project is started. Knowing the very limited resources of the Flemish Archeological service I am quite afraid that it will be another hastily "emergency survey".

I do support the project: there is an urgent need for it an I have the impression that the plans do respect and even improve the site.

But we should take care that the survey will be of the same high standard as the centre itself.

Erwin

Personally I welcome the idea. After my last vist in Oct 2002 I contacted the CWGC as there was near bedlam there . The inadequate parking was totally occupied by coaches blocking the road, others came down poked their noses around the corner and then had to try and back up the access road. Proper parking toilet facilities and a tasteful good quality interperative centre following proper archaeology are essential. That may also allow coach parties of schoolchildren to visit there first and gain some understanding of the seriousness of the site and behave appropriately. Most do i am sure but we can all quote examples, and yes it is mainly the fault of the adults accompanying them, of the place being treated as a WW1 theme park rather than a place of due reverance.

SG