Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ferry Crossing. Advice needed.

17107BM

7 hours ago, towisuk said:

...who in their right mind would want to spend hours driving down to the M25 and M20 to get to Dover or the Tunnel when one can wake up relaxed with less than an hours drive to Tyne Cot from Zeebrugge....

Those of us who can never sleep on an overnight ferry and arrive in Belgium the next morning feeling haggard and drawn like we've just finished an all night boozing session (and actually like driving long distances...especially at night) , Tom! :P

Dave

And those of us (hubby) who get seasick so can't physically 'do' long ferry crossings.

From one up north.... to get to Hull is indeed shorter than to Dover, but it involves using the M62 at peak times in order to check in for an 1830h crossing and that can be dreadful. Once you've walked round the boat a couple of times, taken moody photos of the Humber estuary, had something to eat...  then what? It's too early to go to bed! We've had premium cabins each time and after twelve hours I still end up seasick and feeling horrible when the adverts promise you'll be bounding off the boat rested and full of energy!

I do like Harwich - Hook of Holland because the boats are good, the cabins are nice and the restaurant is good quality, plus it's a shorter crossing. I also like getting off the boat in le Havre. Anything to avoid the M6-M1-M25 - our part of the M6 is foul even at night at the moment. And I like that part of Holland.

We all find what suits our personal needs and our budgets. I hope this year there won't be French strikes, so we can have a full range of choices.

Ok Dave there are exceptions... but when you take the cost of fuel and crossing never mind the driving, for most of us its a simple choice.  And yes Kim I've had to drive down to the tunnel for a couple of trips, one of my group that I was taking to the battlefields "doesn't do ferries"!!!

But for me personally the drive from the North (around 5 hours) and the crossing is time wasted in this country, then there's the return trip so double the wasted time in travel.

And of course we don't get Calais blocked by strikes or "stacks" on the M25 .... and it's 35 mins from home to boarding the ferry at Hull, time for a beer and a natter before retiring for the evening. And if you're lucky a beautiful sunrise as you approach zeebrugge...

Dawn 2.JPG

Edited by towisuk

Hello all.

And thanks for all your replies.

It would seem the choice of our tour is what i thought. Dover- Calais, with a stay at our favourite Travel Lodge in Kent on the River Kennet to break our drive from the North.

Still not sure how the Battle of Messines is going to be marked on it's Day.

If any members have information on this please forward. 

Cheers all.