Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Officer Group Photos

In a similar vein to another thread on BEF Officer Group Photos, I thought it would be useful to consolidate Group Photos of the Indian Army Officers (British and Indian) here. I will kick off with the

14th (King George's Own) Sikhs. 

14th KGO Sikhs Oficers BO and IO.JPG

Edited by Guest

Super idea!

Here is one of Skinners Horse. Dean (an Australian) is seated far left. He had an MiD but did not put it up for some unknown reason...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dean seated, far left.jpg

1st Battalion, 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Fronitier Force) 1914

IMG_0370.JPG

Edited by seaforth78

On 15/02/2017 at 02:08, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Super idea!

Here is one of Skinners Horse. Dean (an Australian) is seated far left. He had an MiD but did not put it up for some unknown reason...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dean seated, far left.jpg

Thanks. Great photo. Do we have the names of the others. Looks post war looking at the gongs.

On 15/02/2017 at 02:21, seaforth78 said:

1st Battalion, 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (Fronitier Force) 1914

IMG_0370.JPG

Dhanyabad Huzoor. 

Yes, names have yet to be found. Denzil Holder is seated, far right (played Polo with the ex-AIF Dean). Holder wrote "Hindu Horseman", which most GWFs would have in their personal libraries.

Here is another without names (7th Rajput officers). Perhaps others can be more helpful - like that good old stalwart, seaforth78, for example. His Gurkha group was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

7th Rajput officers.jpg

On 15/02/2017 at 08:19, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Yes, names have yet to be found. Denzil Holder is seated, far right (played Polo with the ex-AIF Dean). Holder wrote "Hindu Horseman", which most GWFs would have in their personal libraries.

Here is another without names (7th Rajput officers). Perhaps others can be more helpful - like that good old stalwart, seaforth78, for example. His Gurkha group was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

7th Rajput officers.jpg

Small world

I knew Denzil Holder's son, the late Major Oliver Holder, whose son was Denzil too (Oliver passed away not too long ago).Oliver was an Officer in the 11th Hussars and a very  close friend of my father. A thoroughly charming man and a professional right through to his riding boots, who was a typical cavalry 'gent'. A good horseman according to my father, who was an exceptional horseman in is own right. Oliver was kindness and erudite charm personified.  My family are good friends with the Holders. Their family legend has it Denzil Snr he lost a eye refusing to take cover when being shelled but insisting everyone else should "***** take cover. Damn you." (or the hindustani equivalent) .  Probably apocryphal but a good story. Old school. 

I think  met the one eyed Denzil in Sennelager at a RH regimental bash a zillion years ago.

On topic. Many thanks for the 7th Rajputs. An astonishingly good photo and especially that you have not felt the urge to slap on a  'Copyright' watermark. 

Shabash. Jai paltan. MG

Mrs Holder once sent me a long letter (Denzil was blind), and your latter-day anecdote is most welcome. 

Here is another IA officer group, this time with names! The date is off-topic: the medals, not...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Sam Brownes Bolarum Jan 1932.jpg

Sam Brownes Bolarum 1932 caption.jpg

Smashing photos Kimberley and thanks for the compliments. ✌️

Disbanded right after the war for proving troublesome and refusal to adapt to trench conditions due to caste. 

High class Brahmins. 

1st Battalion 1st Brahmins 1912

IMG_0372.JPG

Edited by seaforth78

Dear GWFs,

90th Punjabis, January 1919: Mesopotamia:-

Back row (British officers): Lieut. V. M. H. Cox; Lieut. Cooper; Lieut Mowforth; Capt. Goldsmith, I.M.S.

Seated: Lieut. Parish; Major W. Thyne; Lt.-Col. H. Waring (Comdt.); Capt. G. C. Bampfield (Adjutant); Lieut. Connor.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: Vernon Maurice Hervalwil Cox joined the "Foreign & Political" in 1927. He was the last 'Resident in Waziristan' in 1947...

90 Punjabis Mesopotamia Jan 1919 Lieut Cox standing 3rd left.jpg

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

90th Punjabis, August 1919: Thal, North-West Frontier Province:-

Back row (British officers): Lieut. Tobin; Lieut. V. M. H. Cox

Seated: Lieut. Hislop; Lt.-Col. E. R. B. Murray (Comdt.); Capt. G. C. Bampfield (Adjutant)

Front: unknown.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: Third Afghan War.

90 Punjabis, Thal, NWFP Aug 1919 Lt Cox standing third from right.jpg

Dear All,

Here is yet another IA officer group (18 Lancers)18 Lancers offrs Dec 1920 aboard HMT Hanover - from Egypt to India.jpg18 Lancers offrs Dec 1920.jpg. The caption is self-explanatory.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Great photos Kim. Thanks for posting

On 15/02/2017 at 21:20, seaforth78 said:

Disbanded right after the war for proving troublesome and refusal to adapt to trench conditions due to caste. 

High class Brahmins. 

1931 seems to be the date for the 1st Battalion, 1st Brahmans, although the 2nd Battalion, raised during the war was disbanded at the end of the war. During the  1922 Indian Army

restructure, the 1st Brahmans became the 4th Battalion, 1st Punjab Regiment.

http://www.defencejournal.com/jun99/1st-punjab.htm  defencejournal.com Karachi  June 1999

Cheers

Maureen

Dear All,

This group shows 5th Cavalry IA officers bereft of their wartime and immediate-post Great War IAROs.

Taken before Amalgamation with 8th Cavalry, circa 1921 at Secunderabad.

Back row (left to right): Lieut. H. M. Day; Capt. J. Pratt (Adjutant); Lieut. H. G. B. Jordan (Qr.-Mr.); Major W. A. S. de Gale; Capt. C. W. Robinson.

Front row: (left to right): Capt. G. E. Portal; Major A. C. Norman; Lt.-Col. A. B. Skinner, DSO, OBE (Cmdt.); Bt.-Lt.-Col L. G. Williams, CMG, DSO.

Kindest regards,

Kim.5th Cavy IA ca. 1921-22 Secunderabad.jpg

Here (found at last!) are the names - compliments of the late Lt-Col Duggie Grey - Skinners Lt-Col Greys retirement.jpg to ID:2. 

The Skinners Cavy officers were very much Great War and therefore just on-topic.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

I also have the names of the Skinners BOs and IOs (the latter being quite rareSkinners BOs and IOs Oct 1935 Risalpur.jpgSkinners offr group with names BOs and IOs.jpg).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

On 23/02/2017 at 21:13, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Here (found at last!) are the names - compliments of the late Lt-Col Duggie Grey - 

The Skinners Cavy officers were very much Great War and therefore just on-topic.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim, many thanks for this. Great to be able to identify these Officers. 

Regards. Martin. 

On 23/02/2017 at 21:23, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

I also have the names of the Skinners BOs and IOs (the latter being quite rareSkinners BOs and IOs Oct 1935 Risalpur.jpgSkinners offr group with names BOs and IOs.jpg).

Kindest regars,

Kim.

Brilliant. Thanks again. Martin

Dear Martin,

Here is an obscure group: 2/33rd Punjabis, at Campbellpore, Jan 1921.

The CO, Lt-Col A. L. Barrett, DSO, wore a beard to conceal war wounds to his jaw...

With compliments to Roger Perkins!

Kindest regards,

Kim.2-33rd Punjabis 1921 Campbellpore.jpg

Kim - many thanks for these. A goldmine and an area that will receive my full attention in the coming months and years. Apologies for the delay in responding. I have spent the last 9 days taking care of a family member in hospital which has been rather a trying time as I live 350 miles from the hospital. If I don't respond immediately I trust that you will understand. I have  at least another week of this.  

Two more of pre 1914 interest from my collection. 

How many of them went to France in 1914? 

IMG_0448.JPG

Edited by seaforth78