Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Bond of Sacrifice

Hambo

I have two volumes of this which is the biographical records of of officers who died between August 1914 and June 1915. I think the original idea was to record every officer but they were overwhelmed by numbers.

Includes cavalry, artillery and Flying Corps

Cheers hambo

• 7 months later...

Hambro,

I'd be very grateful for information on three officers killed during the landings at 'V' Beach, Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. The men are Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Rooth and Major Edwyn Featherstonehaugh of the 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Lieutenant-Colonel Carrington-Smith, 2nd Bn. Hampshire Regiment.

Kind regards,

Philip

• 4 months later...

Sorry Phillip for the ridiculous amount of time it's taken to find you question, I'd forgotten I'd posted this

Nothing on Rooth I'm afraid he's mentioned but no bio

Carrington Smith no bio either just says he was killed by a sniper which you probably already know!

Fetherstonehaugh is also in the book but also has no details other that he died of wounds there is a Lt Fetherstonehaugh of the 2nd KRRC mentioned and given the unusual name I would have thought he was a relation. His father was Major General R.S Fetherstonehaugh of Ryde in the Isle of Wight

I've never managed three blanks before

Sorry

Hambo

Hi Hambo!

I appreciate any information on this young man!

Thanking you in advannce!!

Annie

Captain GEOFFREY MICHAEL JOHN SICHEL

3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment

who died age 25

on 09 February 1915

Son of Walter S. and Constance Elizabeth Sichel, of 50, Egerton Gardens, South Kensington, London. Joined 18th Sept., 1909. Served with the 3rd Bn. in Singapore and India.

Remembered with honour

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Hi Hambo

I have a bit of info on these men but would appreciate if you could look for the following:-

2nd Lt James Adam Hamilton Fergusson

Highland Light Infantry

died 20th September 1914

Lt Thomas Alexander Grant Miller

KOSB

died 26th April 1915

Cheers

Evelyn

Annie

Dick's the best in the business

Evelyn

Lieutenant James Adam Hamilton Fergusson

2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry

Son of Sir James Fergusson Bart. of Spitalhaugh, West Linton, Peebleshire and was born on the 22nd of March 1892 at Curzon Street Mayfair, London.

He was educated at Ardvreck, Perthshire; Winchester College and the Royal Military College Sandhurst.

He joined the Highland Light Infantry as a 2nd Lieutenant on the 14th of February 1912 and was promoted to Lieutenant in August 1914.

At the Battle of the Aisne on the 20th of September 1914 he had been kneeling while attending to a wounded man and on rising a bullet struck him in the forehead and killed him instantly

He was a keen sportsman, an excellant shot and a good golfer

"He was an affectionate and dutiful son"

This book is taken from writings at the time and the deaths are often refered to as instant.

Lieutenant Thomas Alexander Grant Miller

1st Battalion The King's Own Scottish Borderers

The elder son of the Rev T.D. and Mrs Miller, of the Manse of Kirkurd, Peebleshire and a grand nephew of General Sir Archibald Galloway K.C.B. of the East India Company.

He was born on the 16th of December 1893 and was educated at Edinburgh Academy and Fettes College, at both of which he distinguished himself academically and in athletics. He was one of the Fettes XV in 1911-1912 and in the same year won the open mile in the school sports, and also the Pott's prize, as the best gymnast in the school.

Proceeding to the RMC Sandhurst in 1912, he played full back for the college football team and also filled the same place in the combine Woolwich and Sandhurst team against the Army.

From Sandhurst he was gazetted to the KOSB as 2nd Lieutenant in January 1914, joining the 1st Battalion at Lucknow in the spring. He accompanied the battalion to England in October 1914 and in November had been temporarily promoted to the next higher rank, becoming Lieutenant in April 1915.

He was killed in the landing in Gallipoli on the 26th of April 1915

Hope this adds to what you already know

Do you have photographs? There are a couple of small ones of both men

Hambo

Thanks Hambo

I did not have anything on James Fergusson's birth or education so that's great- thank you. He was the first local man to be killed in the war. (His nephew was Captain Thomas Colyer-Fergusson. V.C. who died on 31st July 1917 at Bellewaarde, Belguim).

I have done quite a bit of work on the lives of Thomas Miller and his brother Archibald so there was nothing new - but thanks for looking it up.

I have photographs of both the men.

Evelyn

• 3 weeks later...

Hambo -- as happened with yourself, I 've only just got around to reading your answer to my query. Many thanks for looking up the names requested.

I wonder if I might take a second shot? The following were also killed at Gallipoli. The are all from 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers: Major Cecil Thomas Wrigley Grimshaw, Captain George Malcolm Dunlop, Lieutenant Richard de Lusignan and Lieutenant Lawrence Clive Boustead.

Kind regards,

Philip

Phillip

I don't know if it's just the 1st Dublins but there is nothing on Grimshaw or Dunlop apart from their names and medals. De Lusignan, I'll keep looking for as I can't find him right away but the books idea of the alphabet and mine appear to be at odds

However........ Boustead is there and the entry is as follows, there is also a phot if you need one

Born on the 20th of July 1893 at Stonycliff, Kotugala, Ceylon, the eldest son of Lawrence T Boustead esq late of Oliphant, Nuwara, Eliya, Ceylon and Bangor Lodge, Ascot and Ethel Margaret, youngest daughter of Jameson Alers-Hamkey esq of Bexley Kent.

He was educated at Horton School (Ickwell Bury, Charterhouse and the RMC Sandhurst, he played for the last at golf.

In September 1913 he was gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and joined the 1st Battalion of his regiment at Madras two months later. He was promoted Lieutenant in July 1914 and returned to England with the battalion in December 1914 for active service in the Great War, sailing with the XXIXth Division for the Dardanelles in March 1915

He took part in the landing at Y beach on the 25th of April 1915, and was wounded the next day at the taking of Sedd-el-Bahr under the following circumstances as reported by a Press correspondant:-

"Leaving the men, who had momentarily taken cover from the machine gun fire, he ran fearlessly to an opening in the fort and repeatedly fired his revolver, and it is thought he must have kiiled or wounded some of the gunners as the fire from the fort became reduced. He escaped miraculously. Soon after, the British rushed the fort and cleared out the enemy. It was in passing a loophole in the fort that Lieutenant Boustead was wounded, receiving a bullet through the cheek."

After recovering from his wounds at Malta, Lieutenant Boustead rejoined his battalion in Gallipoli at the beginning of June.

He was killed in action at the Battle of Gully Ravine in the early hours of the 29th of June 1915, during one of three night attacks made by the Turks, "after doing excellent work" (wrote his commanding officer) "under very trying circumstances and whilst encouraging and keeping his men together" " A man of no fear, greatly loved by all his men, he had been mentioned in despatches for bravery at our landing on the 25th of April1915".

He was buried at Gaegan Bluff, Gallipoli.

For his services in the war, Lieutenant Boustead was mentioned in Sir Ian Hamilton's despatches of the 22nd of September 1915

Hopefully this adds to your knowledge, in the meantime I'll keep looking for the missing man

All the best Hambo

Many thanks Hambo,

The information on Boustead is great. As the 1st Dublins seem conspicious by their absence, could I be really cheeky and ask if you would be kind enough to look for Lieutenant-Colonel Herbert Carrington Smith, 2nd Bn. Hampshire Regiment killed at V Beach, Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 please?

Regards,

Philip

Sorry Hambo,

I've just realised that you have already tried to find Carrington Smith for me. So please belay that order!

Sorry for the confusion. I haven't been the same man since I turned fifty, two years ago.

Regards,

Philip

• 1 year later...