Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle for Jerusalem

Powis

Hi all, 

We are putting together a 'show' to commemorate Allenby's 1917 campaign to liberate Jerusalem. The show will consist of poems, letters and songs, some hopefully with direct reference to this campaign, others all too familiar (Owen, Sassoon, Keep the Home Fires, etc.).

The poems will be read by the participants and the songs sung by a singer who specializes in this period.

I would like to ask anyone who can point us to material relevant to this campaign, particularly letters home, personal diaries, belonging to the soldiers who fought in the campaign. These could be British, Commonwealth, German, Turkish, as the show is designed to commemorate the soldiers who fought and fell, whatever side there were fighting on.

Would also welcome any visuals people may know of, photos, archive footage, etc.

The show is scheduled for November-December 2017 and in structure will follow the campaign from the the landing of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in Egypt up to the fall of Jerusalem to the Brits (I say 'fall' advisedly, as we would like to see this show, as I said, as a commemorating of all those who fought (and fell) in the campaign.

Where will the show be taking place?  I will be leading a tour of the advance to Jerusalem in Nov.  

Hi all,

Powis - Long time since we talked. Please phone me - There are several major events planned. Let's cooperate.

(I'll update the forum in about 2 weeks, when things will be more final)

Gareth - wrote you some time ago. Anything I can help?

Eran

10 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Hi all,

Powis - Long time since we talked. Please phone me - There are several major events planned. Let's cooperate.

(I'll update the forum in about 2 weeks, when things will be more final)

Gareth - wrote you some time ago. Anything I can help?

Eran

Eran

I have emailed a couple of times. I will re-send my messages.

Powis, 

Same question as Gareth..  the London Irish Rifles would have interest in anything you're doing in commemoration of the 1917 campaign... no doubt you know the story well enough but just in case any more background is worth sharing, here's a link to some of the transcription of Ernie May's account of his time in Egypt/Palestine/Jordan:

http://www.londonirishrifles.com/first-world-war/signal-corporal/dec-1917-jerusalem-1

Sorry also to Gareth that I won't be able to make it in November...

best wishes

Edited by RichardOS

Hi Gareth,

Sorry for the late reply. As yet, we are still at a very early stage in the proceedings. Approaching the British Council for funding, among other organisations. I anticipate that we will time the show to coincide with the campaign, November would seem to be the month, but I'll keep you posted. When exactly is your tour - between what dates and is it full! If not, how does one go about joining.

Best regards, David

Richard, thanks very much for the story link. It will make a great addition to the show! Exactly what we're looking for. Jerusalem and the two cooks. Perfect!

Richard, sorry, got posted in there with Gareth, can't think why. Thanks very much for the story link. It will make a great addition to the show! Exactly what we're looking for. Jerusalem and the two cooks. Perfect!

Actually, does anyone know of any similar stories, either from letters or diaries, of the arrival in Egypt and just off the boat. Impressions, etc. We're looking for a good opener and think a letter posted home might make a good introduction to the show.

No probs..currently travelling so this in haste.. here's a link to the rest of Ernie May's text - he eventually completed the book in 1972 !! It also covers England, France and Greece in addition.. just completed the final 1918 transcriptions and will add them to the web site in due course (ie soon)....excellent read.

http://www.londonirishrifles.com/first-world-war/signal-corporal

thanks again

Richard

Edited by RichardOS

My relative, Lt George Herbert Whyte, served with LIR in France, Salonika and Egypt and Palestine.   He features in Ernie May's book, "Signal Corporal" in an account of the battle for Jerusalem and in a poignant report on how GHW was killed in action on 23rd December 1917.  GHW lies in the CWGC cemetery there.    This is included in a book I have written from LIR historical information combined with a great many letters written home from GHW to his wife.    If you'd like to have sight of this 132 page A5 first edition paperback I would be happy to loan it to you.  I donated a few copies of the book to LIR Assoc. members and their museum   I am currently revising and reviewing and hope to have a second edition out before the centenary of my relative's death.  It would be very interesting to be kept informed of your event.  Look forward to keeping in touch.

Hi Jeniren, thank you for your generous offer. We would be very interested in seeing your relative's account. Let's keep in touch. Next time I'm up in Jerusalem at the cemetery, I'll pay my respects.

49 minutes ago, Powis said:

Hi Gareth,

Sorry for the late reply. As yet, we are still at a very early stage in the proceedings. Approaching the British Council for funding, among other organisations. I anticipate that we will time the show to coincide with the campaign, November would seem to be the month, but I'll keep you posted. When exactly is your tour - between what dates and is it full! If not, how does one go about joining.

Best regards, David

Richard, thanks very much for the story link. It will make a great addition to the show! Exactly what we're looking for. Jerusalem and the two cooks. Perfect!

I will PM you. 

Can anyone enlighten me as to the modern position of a ridge named Kherbet Adasseh, a Turkish position held during the Palestine campaign? We are gathering archive and modern photographs of the terrain fought over during the campaign for an upcoming 'show' commemorating the campaign.

According to the Official History, 'Kh. 'Adase' is a 'hill between Bir Nebala and the Nablus Road'.  

Have a look at map 11 in the second volume of OH maps.  It's top right. Today it is on route 60 by Pisgat Ze'ev.  

Edited by Gareth Davies

A marker by men of 2/18th was left at Kherbet Adasseh a few days after 23rd Dec 1917, a truly disastrous day for the London Irish Rifles when 54 of their men, including Lt Whyte, were killed.  

SCAN1083.JPG

Edited by RichardOS

Mates,

This was sent to me by Tosun, a Turkish account of the fighting, but in Turkish if you can translate??

"My recent article which will be published in Düşünce ve Tarih (Ideas and History) in ankara on March 2017 issue IN TURKİSH
hOW WE lOST JERUSALEM (KUDÜS)

İsmail Tosun Saral
KUDÜS NASIL KAYBEDİLDİ?
Kudüs’ün Kaybını Hazırlayan Nedenler : Birü’s-Sebi ve Üçüncü Gazze Muharebesi
Gazze’den Tellü’ş-Şeria’ya kadar olan 30 km uzunluğundaki cepheyi ihtiyatta bulunan 53’ncü Tümen dâhil yirmi bin tüfekten ibaret bir kuvvet savunmaktaydı ve metre başına ancak, iki - üç tüfek düşüyordu. Bu durum, cephenin olağanüstü zayıf olduğunun göstergesiydi. Cepheyi tutan 3’ncü, 6’ncı, 7’nci, 26’ncı ve 54’ncü Tümenlerin her biri gerçekte birer alay kuvvetindeydiler. Bu nedenle, 4’ncü Ordu, 19 Eylül 1917 tarihinde Kress Paşa’nın isteği üzerine, Başkomutanlık Karargâhından her tümene karşılık, her biri üç bin mevcutlu birer ikmal alayının kurularak gönderilmesini talep etmiştir. Ekim ayına kadar birtakım eksikler tamamlanarak 28 Ekim 1917 günü cephe, sağ kanatta, kıyıdan Gazze’ye kadar olan alanda, yerleşim şekline göre 3’ncü, 26’ncı, 53’ncü ve 54’ncü Tümenler; arka kıyıda 7’nci Tümen, merkezde yâni Tellü’ş-Şeria’da 16’ncı ve 24’ncü Tümenler, sol kanatta Birü’s-Sebi’de 27’nci Tümen ve ihtiyatta ise 3’ncü Süvari Tümeni mevzilenerek kurulmuştur. Kurmay Albay İsmet Bey (İnönü) komutasındaki dört bin kişilik 27’nci Tümen zayıf ve çoğu askerinin Arap olmasından ötürü güven vermeyen bir birlikti. Onlara takviye olarak, sadece 3’ncü Süvari Tümeni’nden bin atlı ve yirmi dört top gönderilebilmişti.
Kress Paşa, sol kanadının zayıf olduğunu biliyor, İngiliz taarruzunun doğrudan cepheye yapılacağını düşünüyor ve bu nedenle, tedbirlerini buna göre alıyordu. Türk savunma planına göre Avusturya-Macaristan’ın “Türkiye’deki K.u.k Dağ Obüs Taburu” nun 1/4 ve 2/6 Bataryaları ile, iki toplu “20 numaralı 10‘luk Topçu Bataryası” piyadeyi desteklemek için, en ağır çarpışmaların beklendiği bölgede, yâni Gazze’de mevzilendirildiler.
30 Ekim 1917 günü Gazze’deki Türk siperleri üzerine o ana kadarki en yoğun topçu ateşi başladı. Bu bombardıman sırasında İngilizler birçok defa gaz mermisi de kullandılar. Avusturya-Macaristan birlikleri bu tür bir saldırıya hazır olduklarından gaz maskelerini takarak tehlikeyi kazasız biçimde atlatmışlardır. Ne var ki, siperdeki Türk askerlerinde gaz maskesi yoktu. Bu olumsuzluğa rağmen, iklim, arazi şartları ve İngilizlerin koordinasyon yanlışları Türk askerlerini büyük bir katliamdan korumuştur.
31 Ekim 1917 günü şafakla beraber otuza yakın hafif ve ağır İngiliz bataryası, 27’nci Türk Tümeni tarafından tutulan Vadi üs Sebi ve Birü’s-Sebi’den Halâsî’ye giden yol arasındaki mevzilere ateş açtılar. Bu ateşin desteğiyle iki İngiliz tümeni taarruz için yayılmaya başladı. Kısa süre içinde Avustralya Hafif Süvarileri korumasız Türk mevzilerini aştılar, iki yüz kayıp vermelerine karşılık bin beş yüz esir alarak Birü’s-Sebi’’yi ele geçirdiler. Komutan İsmet Bey (İnönü), bu kargaşa sırasında kaçarak esir düşmekten kurtulmuştur. Birü’s-Sebi’’nin düşmesi Gazze savunucularını zor duruma düşürmüş ve Hebron ile 120 km uzaklıktaki Kudüs yolunu açmıştır.
İngilizler, Gazze’ye 1 Kasım 1917 günü, saat 4’te, donanmayla destekledikleri topçu hazırlık ateşinden sonra üç kolordu ile taarruz ettiler. Bunlar, 20’nci Kolordu (10’ncu, 74’üncü, 60’ncı ve 35’nci Tümenler), 21’nci Kolordu (52’nci, 75’nci ve 54’ncü Tümenler), Çöl Hafif Atlı Kolordusu’dur. (Avustralya Atlı Piyade, Anzac Süvari ve diğer bir Atlı Piyade Tümeni ile Hint Süvari ve Bir Heçinsüvar Tugayı) Bütün bir gün ve gece süren bu yoğun baskı karşısında Gazze’deki ilk Türk hatları bozulduysa da yapılan karşı hücumlarla tehlike giderildi. Avusturya-Macaristan topçu bataryaları gerek İngiliz hücumunun hazırlık safhasında gerekse savunmada çok etkili oldular. İngilizler, 2 Kasım 1917 günü, sabahın erken saatlerinde, Türk savunma hatlarını bir kaç yerden yardılar. Bu nedenle topçu bataryaları geride önceden hazırlanmış mevzie çekilmek zorunda kalmıştır. Böylelikle Kudüs yolu açılmış oldu.
Kudüs’ün Kaybı
7 Aralık 1917 günü 20’nci İngiliz Kolordusu, yoğun yağmur altında, Kudüs’ü savunan 3’ncü Türk Kolordusuna karşı hücuma geçerek kesin ve etkili başarılar elde etti. Sonunda, 9 Aralık 1917’de Türk kuvvetleri geri çekildiği için Kudüs 10 Aralık 1917’de İngilizlerin eline geçti.
Türk Kuvvetleri niçin geri çekildiler? Kudüs niçin savunulmadı?
Kudüs’ün savunulup savunulmayacağı konusu müttefikler arasında hayli münakaşalara neden oldu. Yıldırım Orduları Komutanı Müşir von Falkenhayn, şehrin kesinlikle savaşarak savunulması taraftarı idi. Bazıları da kutsal şehrin savaşılarak savunulması halinde birçok kutsal mabedin yıkılacağını, bununda müttefikler için büyük bir prestij kaybı olacağını söylüyorlardı. Bunlara Avusturya-Macaristan Dışişleri Bakanı Czernin’de katıldı. 19 Kasım 1917’de Büyükelçi Pallavicini’nin de bulunduğu bir toplantıda Sadrazam Talat Paşa’ya yarı şaka yarı ciddi biçimde “Osmanlı Ordusu, Kudüs yerle bir olmadan çekilmelidir” demişti. Buna karşılık, Talat Paşa Kudüs konusunda bir garanti veremeyeceğini söylemiştir. Süreç içinde olumlu bir sonuç alınamayınca Avusturya-Macaristan yetkilileri General Pomiankowski’ye Enver Paşa ile görüşmesini ve Kudüs eğer bir muharebe sonunda harap olursa Avusturya-Macaristan askerlerinin geri alınacaklarını ve askerî yardımın kesileceğini söylemesini istediler. Enver Paşa Kudüs’ün Müslümanlar için Mekke ve Medine gibi kutsal bir şehir olduğunu ve savaşmadan düşmana terk edileceği sözünü verdi. Enver Paşa sözünü tuttu ve Kudüs düşmana savaşmadan terkedildi.
Avusturya-Macaristan topçu yüzbaşılarından Çek Yahudisi Marek Schwartz’ın, sonradan gazeteci-yazar Pierre van Paasen’e anlattığına göre, Cemal Paşa, Avusturya bataryalarının Mescid-i Aksa (Dome of the Rock) üzerine nişan almalarını ve Küdüs’ün yerle bir edilmesini kendisine emretmiştir. Schwartz ise bu tarihî kutsal şehrin tahrip edilmesini gönlü elvermediğinden bu emri yerine getirmeyip toplarını tahrip ederek İngilizlere teslim olmuştur. Van Paasen abartılı yazıları ile tanınan bir yazar olup tevatürü pek kabul görmemekle beraber, onun biyografisini kaleme alan Yahudi yazarlar H. David Kirk ve Beverly Tansey bu iddianın doğruluğunu kitaplarında iddia edince, iddia hayli tutulmuş ve değişik kitaplarda da yer almıştır.
Marek Schwartz’ın yazdıklarının aksine, Ahmet Cemal Paşa’nın komutası altındaki 4’ncü Ordu, 21 Kasım 1916’dan itibaren Kudüs’ün savunulması işini ele almış, kutsal yapılar zarar görmeyecek kadar, şehrin ileriden savunulmasına karar verilerek mevziler, arazi dolaşılarak keşif ve tespit edilmişti. Saptanan mevzilerin ileri araziye son derece hâkim ve geniş çapta ateş alanı ve gözetleme olanağına sahip olmasına özen gösterilmişse de arazinin çok kesik olması, bazı kısımlarında derin uçurumlarla dik yamaçların çoğunluk teşkil etmesi yüzünden mevziden bir kısım hedeflerin görülememesi sakıncası önlenememişti.
Küdüs’ün Ahmet Cemal Paşa zamanında kaybedilmediğini; Yıldırım Orduları Komutanı Alman von Falkenhayn zamanında kaybedildiğini özellikle belirtmek isteriz.
Tüm bunlar bir yana, aslında biz Kudüs’ü savunacak asker bulamadığımız için kaybettik:
“Üç tabur, Ah Üç tabur! Nebi Samoil siperlerinde Kudüs için kan döken Türk askerlerine bu kadarcık yardım edemiyoruz. O yıl Galiçya topraklarında dövüşmek için yirmi bin lüzumsuz Türk bulmuştuk. Bir yığın Anadolu çocuğunu, yurdundan kopmuş, uzak Medine içinde, iskorpite ve çöle yediriyorduk. Bir sabah kumandanın [Ahmet Cemal Paşa] odasına girdiğim zaman, gözlerinin ağlamaktan yorulmuş olduğunu gördüm: Kudüs, İngilizlerin elinde idi. Oradaki son Türklerin nasıl kahramanca vuruştuklarını masanın üstünden aldığım şifreli telgraftan okudum. Kudüs’ü İsrailoğulları gibi bırakmadık; Türkler gibi bıraktık. Nebi Samoil üstünden Müslüman veya Hıristiyan mabedlerine doğru inenler, Türklerin son gününü hatırlayacaklardır. Karargâhın içinde: “Kudüs düştü!” sözü ölüm haberi gibi yayıldı. Daha şimdiden Beyrut’a, Şam’a, Haleb’e gözyaşlarımızı hazırlamak lâzımdı. Artık Anadolu’yu ve İstanbul’u düşünüyorduk. İmparatorluğa, onun bütün rüyalarına ve hayallerine, Allahaısmarladık!”
Türkler’in Küdüs’ü kaybetmesi gerek Hıristiyanlar gerekse Yahudiler arasında büyük bir çoşku ile karşılanmıştır. 1921 yılında Küdüs’e giden Amerikalı Dr. W.H.T. Squires hatıralarında, Amerikan Hastanesi’nde Türk yaralı askerlere bakan bir Katolik hemşirenin, Türklerin şehri terk ettiklerini duyunca Türk yaralıları tedaviyi bırakarak gözyaşları içinde tanrısına şükür duası ettiğini yazmaktadır.
İstiklal Marşı şairimiz Mehmet Akif Ersoy, yakın dostu Mithat Cemal Kuntay’a Kudüs’ün kaybedildiği haberini nasıl aldığını şu üzüntülü cümlelerle anlatmıştır:
“Sinirlerine dokunan bir mısra vardı: “Milletim nev'-i beşerdir, vatanım rûy-i zemin!” (İnsanlık milletimdir, yeryüzü vatanım) Bu mısrayı okuduğum gün acı acı gülerek;
-Sen de bu yalana inanıyor musun? Bir Avrupalının nev'-i beşerinde, rûy-i zemininde Türkler ve Müslümanlar dâhildir sanıyor musun? dedi. Sonra tuhaf bir şey anlattı:
-Umumî Harpte biz üç kişi Berlin'e gittiğimiz zaman Alman Hükümeti bize ne dedi bilir misin? Türklerle ittifak ettik diye Reichstag'ta Katolik mebuslar bağırıyorlar, Müslümanlar ve Türkler gibi vahşîlerle medenî Alman milleti nasıl birleşir? diyorlar. Makaleler yazınızda Türklerin ve Müslümanların da insan olduklarını bu adamlara karşı ispat edelim. dedi.
-Acayip! dedim.
-Bundan daha acayibi var! dedi; Yine, Umumî Harb’de Viyana'da idim; bir gece Viyana kiliselerinin çanları çalmaya başladı; otelin penceresinden baktım; caddede her elde bir mum, herkes haykırıyordu. Kendi kendime: “Müttefikimiz Viyanalılar galiba cephede bir muzafferiyet kazandılar.” dedim. Sokağa fırladım. Bir dükkâncıya:
-Bir zafer haberi mi var! dedim. Adam:
-Zafer de söz mü? dedi. İngilizler Müslümanlardan Kudüs'ü aldılar: İngiliz ordusu Allenby'nin kumandasında Kudüs'e girdi. Mukaddes şehir Hilâl’den kurtuldu, haça kavuştu.”
Ve Akif bunu anlattıktan sonra gözlerime dik dik baktı:
-Milletim nev'-i beşer, vatanım rüy-i zemin! Öyle mi? dedi. Sonra ilâve etti: Biz bu yalana inanırsak, ne milletimiz kalır, ne rûy-i zeminimiz! Avrupa'nın nev'-i beşerinde ben yoksam, benim nev'-i beşerimde de o yoktur.”
Mekke’nin düşmesinden sonra Kudüs’ün de düşmesi, müslümanların yaklaşık yedi yüz yıldan beri ellerinde bulunan bu iki mukaddes şehrin kaybı, hilâfet ve Osmanlı İmparatorluğu’nun itibarına İslâm âleminde hissedilir bir darbe indirmişti. Bu mağlubiyet nedeniyledir ki 1918 yılının Şubat ayı sonunda General von Falkenhayn da, Yıldırım Ordular Grubu Komutanlığı’nı Müşir Liman von Sanders’e devretmiştir. Von Sanders’in enerjisi, çok büyük düşman üstünlüğüne rağmen Türk mevzilerini altı ay daha elde tutmuştur.
“Kudüs üzerinden Lût Gölü’ne inmeyen hiç kimse Şeria vâdisi’nin ne olduğunu tahmin edemez; orada toprak bile buharlaşır, saatlerce mesafede kısa dallı hurmalardan başka bir şey yoktur. Geniş muz yapraklarının altına girilmez. Taş kadar sert, sarmaşık gibi birbiri içine girmiş, toprağa ılık gölgesi kadar yakın duran şebbareler (Frenk inciri), ısının bir kısmını kendileri yayıyor gibi, insana nefret verir... Güneş batmıyor, tükeniyor gibi gurup eder ve gurup eden şey içi boşalmış, son keskin ateşini damlatmış bir daireden ibarettir. Kudüs şehrinden sonra bir düziye, alçalıp Şeria vâdisine inen çıplak, sarı tepeler, Şeria nehrinden sonra yükselip Gerek Sancağı’nı dalgalandıran kuru dağ kümeleri vardır. Peygamber İsa’nın yıkandığı Şeria, Filistin’in kuru, yavaş ve usandırıcı nehri ve şimdi vatanı savunan Türkler işte bu vâdinin içindedir. Lût Gölü o kadar cansız ki çöl içinde çöl zannedilir. Tenha çöllerde Türklerin harbini görmeyenler Türklerin kahraman olduğunu nasıl anlıya bilirler?... Burada her mevsime, her düşmana ve her iklime karşı harb eden bu cesur adamlar Herkül’ün on sınavını verdiler. Çölde düşman sabit bir şey değildir. Yönünü bulamamış bir rüzgar gibi şuradan buradan az veya çok, gece ve gündüz çıkıverir. Türkler teyakkuz, cesaret ve pervasız sükunlarıyla çöllerde bir demirden hat gibi durdu ve bütün taarruzları birer birer ve ekseriya süngülerle dağıttı.”
11 Aralık 1917 günü General Edmund Allenby önde olmak üzere, arkasında Fransız Müfrezesi Komutanı Albay de Piépape ve İtalyan Müfrezesi Komutanı Bersaglieri Yarbayı Francesco Paolo d'Agostio ile Yafa Kapısından Küdüs'e büyük bir merasimle girdiler. Bu kişilerden başka ABD, Fransa, İtalya askeri ateşeleri ve Fransız Yüksek Komiseri François George-Picot da kortejde yer almıştı.
Fransızlar ve İtalyanlar Kudüs’de ne arıyorlardı? Niçin gelmişlerdi? Bu sorunun cevabını bulmak için biraz geriye dönelim.
Osmanlı topraklarının paylaşılması planı 9-16 Mayıs 1916 da ihtilâf devletleri olan İngilizlerle Fransızlar arasında yapılan: “Sykes – Picot” anlaşması ile hazırlanmıştı. Bu plana göre; Irak bölgesi İngilizler, Suriye, Adana, Gaziantep ve dolayları Fransızlar tarafından işgal edilecekti. Bu anlaşma üzerine Fransızlar ilk adım olarak Filistin’e geldiler. 1915’de Fransızların bir kısım deniz ve kara güçleri Çanakkale’de bize karşı çarpışmıştı. Fakat Suriye ve lrak bölgelerinde Fransız kuvvetleri hiç yoktu. 30 Ekim 1918 de Mondros’ta imzalanan mütareke ile birlikte Fransız kuvvetleri Suriye ve Adana, Urfa Gaziantep bölgelerimize adeta bir sel gibi akmaya başladılar, aç kurtlar gibi güzel ve zengin topraklarımızı işgale başladılar. Bunların amacı parsa toplamaktan başka bir şey değildi.
Ya İtalyanlara ne demeli? İtalyanlar Filistin de ne arıyorlardı?
1911 de Osmanlı Türkleri karşısında Trablusgarb’da yakaladıkları hiç ummadıkları başarı nedeniyle şımaran İtalyanlar da Kudüs'teki ve Bethlehem'deki katolik kiliseleri ile olan tarihî ve dinî menfaatlerini ileri sürerek, Hıristiyanları korumak için geldiler. Aslında istedikleri yıkılan Osmanlı devleti topraklarından hisselerine bir parçanın düşmesini sağlamaktı. Nitekim; hizmetlerinin karşılığı olarak Sevr Antlaşması hükümleri sayesinde yurdumuzun Antalya Bölgesini işgal ettiler.
İtalyanlar Filistin’e sevk edilmek üzere Carabinieri ve Bersaglieri denilen iki askerî sınıfından bir müfreze kurdular ve müfrezeye “Distaccamento Italiano di Palestina”(Filistin İtalyan Müfrezesi) adı verildi. 108 asker ve 40 süvariden oluşan Carabinieri birliği 6 Mayıs 1917 günü Trablusgarb’ın Nables limanından vapurlara bindirildi. 10 Mayıs 1917 de Port Said limanına ulaştı. 346 kişilik Bersaglieri müfrezesi de Binbaşı Francesco D'Agostino komutasında 13 Mayıs 1917 de Trablusgarb’dan hareket etti. Ayrıca bir Cacciatori di Palestina (Filistin Avcı Bölüğü) Bölüğü ile de takviye edildiler. Kantara’da bir ay kalan müfreze hazırlıklarını tamamlayınca 13 Haziran 1917 de Rafa’ya yollandı, 48’nci Hint Tuğayı emrine girdi. Demiryolunu sabotajlara karşı korumak Müfrezeye verilen ilk görev oldu.
3’ncü Gazze Muharebesinden biraz önce İtalyan Müfrezesi General Watson komutasındaki seyyar mürettep gücü oluşturan 20’nci Hint Tugayına bağlı Fransızların 1st Régiment de Tirailleur Algérien (1’nci Cezayir Tüfekçi Alayı) emrine verildi.
3’üncü Gazze Muharebesinde bu Seyyar Mürettep Kuvvet İngilizlerin Atawineh olarak nitelendirdiği Resmelatavine (Resm el atavine) Sırtlarında görevlendirildi. Resmelatavine Sırtları 2’nci Gazze Muharebelerinde Kurmay Albay Refet (Tümgeneral Bele) komutasındaki 53’nci Piyade Tümenimiz tarafından savunuluyordu. Burada İngiliz ve Avusturalya Atlı Birlikleri ağır bir mağlubiyete uğratıldılar.
İtalyan Carabinieri ve Bersaglieri askerlerinden kurulu müfreze Mart ve Nisan 1917 de 3’ncü Gazze Muharebesine ve takip eden aylarda bir çok yerde zor ve başarılı muharebelere katılarak İngilizlere yardım ettiklerinden mükafat olarak Yafa Kapısı dışında şeref kıtası oluşturmalarına izin verilmiş ve Alenby’nin Kudüs’e girişini selamlamışlar, komutanları da kortejde yer almıştır.

Cheers

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

Mate,

You maybe aware that the Turks don't agree that the city was captured by the British?

They state that since they abandoned the city, or to them, left it as an open or free city. Much like Paris in WWII, that they didn't lose the city but gave it to the British or Allies.

Minor difference I surpose?

S.B

I think that Jerusalem was officially surrendered by the Ottoman Turks, not 'abandoned'.

Before he fled, didn't the Governor of Jerusalem, Izzet Bey, give a letter of surrender to the mayor, who passed it on to the British, together with the more famous keys of the city?

edit to add:

A photograph (copy) of the letter of surrender can be seen in post No.1 here

Google Translation part 1:

Ismail Tosun Saral
How was Jerusalem lost?
Reasons for the Loss of Jerusalem: The Battle of Biru's-Sebi and the Third Gaza
The 30-kilometer-long facade from Gaza to the Tellu'sh-Jeria was defending a reserve of twenty thousand rifles, including the prudent 53rd Division, and only two, three rifles per meter. This was a demonstration that Cephein was exceptionally weak. Each of the 3rd, 6th, 7th, 26th and 54th Divisions holding the Front were indeed regimental. For this reason, the 4th Army demanded that, on 19 September 1917, at the request of Kress Pasha, the Commander-in-Chief had to be set up and dispatched a supply procurement of three thousand each, in exchange for each unit. Until October, a few shortcomings were completed and on the front on October 28, 1917, on the right wing, from the coast to the Gaza area, according to the settlement pattern 3, 26, 53 and 54; On the back shore, the 7th Division is located in the center, with the 16th and 24th Divisions in the Tellu'ş-Jordan, the 27th Divisor in the left wing, and the 3rd Divider Division in the reserve. Commander Colonel Ismet Bey (Inonu) commanded four thousand and 27 people were weak and many soldiers because of the unity of the unity of the Arab. As reinforcements to them, only a thousand horsemen and twenty-four balls could be sent from the 3rd Cavalry Division.
Kress Pasha knows that his left wing is weak, he thinks that the British attack will be carried out directly on the front, and for this reason he was taking precautions accordingly. According to the Turkish defense plan, one-quarter and two-sixth battalions of the Austrian-Hungarian "Kuk Dağ Obüs Batur in Turkey" and two massive "Artillery Battalion of the 20th Battalion" are to be supported in the region where the heaviest collisions are expected, They were deployed in Gaza.
On October 30, 1917, the most intensive artillery fire on the main Turkish trenches in Gaza began. During this bombardment, the British used gas cartridges many times. Since the Austro-Hungarian troops were ready for such an attack, they accidentally bypassed the danger by wearing gas masks. However, there were no gas masks in the Turkish soldiers on the trench. Despite this negativity, climate, land conditions and British coordination mistakes protect Turkish soldiers from a massacre.
On October 31, 1917, together with the dawn, light and heavy English battle near thirty, opened fire on the way between the valley base Sebi and the road going from Biru's-Sebi to Halâsî, which was held by the 27th Turkish Division. With the support of this fire, two British generals began to spread to attack. Soon afterwards, the Australian Light Horse caved in unprotected Turkish positions, taking a thousand and five hundred prisoners in exchange for two hundred lost bequests, and seized Biru's-Sebi. Commander Ismet Bey (İnönü) escaped captivity during this turmoil. The fall of Biru's-Sebi reduced the defenders of Gaza to a difficult situation and opened the road to Jerusalem, 120 km away from Hebron.
The British attacked Gaza on November 1, 1917, at 4 o'clock, with three corps after the artillery fire that they supported with the navy. These include the 20th Corps (10th, 74th, 60th and 35th Divisions), 21th Corps (52nd, 75th and 54th Divisions), Desert Light Horse Corps . (An Australian Cavalry, Anzac Cavalry, and another Horsefighting Division and Indian Horseman and a Hebronthous Brigade) In the face of this intense pressure that lasted all day and night, the first Turkish lines in Gaza were ruined even with the counterattacks made. Austrian-Hungarian artillery battalions were very effective both in the preparation of the British offensive and in defense. On 2 November 1917, the British helped the Turkish defense lines from several places early in the morning. For this reason, the artillery batteries had to be drawn back in advance. Thus the road to Jerusalem was opened.
Loss of Jerusalem
On December 7, 1917, the 20th English Corps received precise and effective accomplishments, in heavy rain, through the attack on the 3rd Turkish Corps, who defended Jerusalem. Finally, on December 9, 1917, the Turkish forces were withdrawn and Jerusalem was taken to the hands of the English on December 10, 1917.
Why are the Turkish forces withdrawn? Why was not Jerusalem defended?
The issue of Jerusalem's defense and defense has caused considerable controversy among allies. Commander of the Lightning Orders Commander Von Falkenhayn was a staunch supporter of the city. Others said that if the holy city was defended by fighting, many sacred temples would be destroyed, which would be a great loss of prestige for the allies. These were attended by Austro-Hungarian Foreign Minister Czernin. At a meeting of Ambassador Pallavicini on November 19, 1917, he said to the Grand Vizier Talat Pasha that the half-joke was semi-seriously "Ottoman Army, Jerusalem should be withdrawn without one." On the other hand, Talat Pasha said he could not give a guarantee about Jerusalem. When there was no positive result in the process, the Austro-Hungarian authorities met General Pomiankowski with Enver Pasha

General Pomiankowski to meet with Enver Pasha, and Jerusalem asked if Austro-Hungarian troops would be withdrawn and military aid would be cut off if a battle eventually devastated them. Enver Pasha promised that Jerusalem was a holy city for Muslims like Mecca and Medina, and that they would be left to the enemy without fighting. Enver Pasha kept the word and Jerusalem was left without fighting the enemy.
According to Cemal Pasha, the Austrian-Hungarian artillery captains of the Czech Jewish Marek Schwartz told journalist-writer Pierre van Paasen that Austrian battalions should aim at the Dome of the Rock, Ordered. Schwartz, however, did not fulfill this order because he was reluctant to destroy this historic sacred city and destroyed his arms and surrendered to the British. Although Van Paasen is a writer known for his exaggerated writings and not very agreeable with the universe, Jewish writers H. David Kirk and Beverly Tansey, who received his biography, claim to be in the books of the truth of this claim.
Unlike the writings of Marek Schwartz, the 4th Army under the command of Ahmet Cemal Pasha dealt with the defense of Jerusalem from 21 November 1916 until the holy structures were not damaged and the city was decided to be defended further, Was detected. Despite the careful attention given to the fact that the seizures are highly judge and have a wide range of fire and surveillance, it is not possible to prevent the sighting of some targets due to the fact that the land is very cut and some parts of the slopes are steep with deep cliffs.
Kudus was not lost in the time of Ahmet Cemal Pasha; We would like to mention especially that the German Von Falkenhayn, Commander of the Lightning Orders, has lost his time.
All this aside, we actually lost because we could not find a soldier to defend Jerusalem:
"Three battalions, Ah Three battalions! We are not able to help Turkish soldiers so much as they have blood for Jerusalem in Nabi Samoil trenches. That year we had found twenty thousand useless Turks to fight in Galicia. We were feeding a bunch of Anatolian children in the distant Medina, which was separated from the country, with scurvy and garbage. One morning when I entered the commander's room [Ahmet Cemal Pasha], I saw that his eyes were fatigued: Jerusalem was in the hands of the British. I have read the scrambled wirefeeds from the table over how the last Turks there are heroic strikes. We have not left Jerusalem like the children of Israel; We left like Turks. Those who descend from the Nebi Samoil towards Muslim or Christian mosques will remember the last day of the Turks. Inside the headquarters: "Jerusalem is down!" Spread like a news of death. We already had to prepare our tears for Beirut, Damascus, Aleppo. Now we were thinking about Anatolia and Istanbul. The empire, all his dreams and dreams, We were made Allaah! "
The Turks have lost the Kudus and the Christians have been met with great enthusiasm among the Jews. An American who went to Kudus in 1921. W.H.T. In the memories of Squires, a Catholic nurse looking at Turkish wounded soldiers in the American Hospital wrote that the Turkish wounded had left the city and left the treatment and prayed to the gods in tears.
Our poet Mehmet Akif Ersoy, the National Anthem, told his close friend Mithat Cemal Kuntay about how he got the news of Jerusalem losing:
"There is a line that touches its nerves:" Nationality is nev'-i five, country is ruth-i ground! "(Humanity, nationality, earth, land)
-Do you believe this lie? Do you think Turks and Muslims are in the background of a Europeans, on the ground of ruh-i? said. Then he said something strange:
-Will you know what the German government told us when three of us went to Berlin? Catholic mobs are shouting at Reichstag for alliance with Turks, how will the civilized German nation unite with savages like Muslims and Turks? they say. Let us prove to the men that the Turks and Muslims are human beings in our writings. said.
-Strange! I said.
-He's got more pain than he! said; Again, I was in Vienna at the Commonwealth; One night the bells of the Vienna churches began to ring; I looked through the hotel window; Every candle in the street on the street, everyone was screaming. I said to myself: "I think our Viennians are all victors on the front line." I got off the street. A shopkeeper:
- There is some news of victory! I said. Man:
-What about the victory? said. The British took Jerusalem from the Muslims: the British army entered Jerusalem under the command of Allenby. The sacred city was freed from the Crescent, and the cross came to rest. "
And after Akif told me about it, he looked up at me:
-Millit is nev'-i birker, countryman dream-i ground! Is that so? said. Then he added: "If we believe in this lie, we will not be married, nor is it our fault! In the nev'-i of Europe

Edited by Jrmh

"The loss of Jerusalem after the fall of Mecca, the loss of these two holy cities that have been in the hands of Muslims for nearly seven hundred years, the caliphate, and a sensible blow in the Islamic world in the name of the Ottoman Empire Had downloaded it. This defeat was due to General von Falkenhayn at the end of February 1918 and the Lightning Orders Group Command to Von Sanders. Von Sanders' energy kept the Turkish positions six months longer, despite his great enemy superiority. "Nobody who does not come down to Lake Luther over Jerusalem can predict what a Jewish villa is; Even the soil there evaporates, there is nothing but short-lived hurts for hours at a distance. You can not go under the wide banana leaves. They are as hard as stones, like ivy, and they are as close as the warm shade to the earth. The sunblocks are as if they are exhausting, and the grouping is empty, It is a dairen that drips sharp fire. After the city of Jerusalem, there are bare, yellow hills that descend and descend to the Valley of the Jordan, dry mountain clusters that ascend after the Jordan River and wiggle the Jancah. It is in this promise that the Prophet Jesus was buried in the Jordan, the dry, slow and bitter river of Palestine, and the Turks who defended the homeland now. Lut Lake is so lifeless that the desert is supposed to be in the desert. How do you know that those who do not see the war of the Turks in the secluded deserts know that the Turks are heroes? ... These courageous men here who have waged war against every enemy, every enemy and every one of them gave ten tests of Hercules. The enemy in the rubble is not a constant thing. Like a wind that can not find its way, here it comes out more or less day and night. On 11 December 1917, General Edmund Allenby, behind him, was behind the French Commissar of the Commander Colonel de Piépape and the Commander of the Italian Territorial Commander Bersaglieri, Commander Francesco Paolo, the Commander of the Italian Territory, behind him, on 11 December 1917. They entered D'Agostio with a great ceremony at the Jaffa Gate to Kudus. Other than these persons, the US, French, Italian military fires and French High Commissioner François George-Picot were also in the cortege. What were the French and Italians doing in Jerusalem? Why did they come? The plan of sharing the Ottoman lands was prepared on May 9-16, 1916 with the agreement of Sykes - Picot, which was made between the British and France, which are conflict states. According to this plan; The Iraqi region will be occupied by the British, Syria, Adana, Gaziantep and the French. Upon this agreement, the French came to Palestine as a first step. In 1915, some French naval and land forces fought against us in Canakkale. But there were no French forces in Syria and Iraq. With the armistice signed in Mondros on October 30, 1918, the French forces began to flow like floods to our Syria and Adana, Urfa Gaziantep regions and started to occupy our beautiful and rich lands like hungry wolves. Their aim was nothing but the sum of the parcels. What should they say to the Italians? The Italians who came to Rome in 1911 to escape the unexpected success of the Ottoman Turks in Trablusgarb came to protect the Christians by claiming their historical and religious interests with the Catholic churches in Jerusalem and Bethlehem. In fact, they wanted to get a piece of their Ottoman state land from their collapsed stock. Thus; The occupation of the Antalya Region by the provisions of the Treaty of Sevr as a provision of their services. The Italians established a detachment of two military classes called Carabinieri and Bersaglieri to be shipped to Palestine and the detachment was called "Distaccamento Italiano di Palestina" (Palestinian Italian Detachment). Consisting of 108 soldiers and 40 cavalry, was put on the ferryboat on the 6th of May 1917 from the port of Nablus in Tripoli. On 10 May 1917 he reached Port Said port. The 346-seat Bersaglieri detachment also moved from Trablusgarb on May 13, 1917 under the command of Major Francesco D'Agostino. They were also reinforced with a Cacciatori di Palestina (Palestinian Hunter Division) Division. After completing the preparations for the detachment which was one month in Kantara, he was sent to Rafa on June 13, 1917 and entered the 48th Indian Tuigai emrine. Protecting the railway from sabotage was the first task given to the platoon.3 The Frenchman of the 20th Indian Brigade, who was just before the Gaza battalion under the command of the Italian Battalion General Watson, was given the 1st Régiment de Tirailleur Algérien (the 1st Algerian rifle regiment). In this Gaza battalion, this Moving Crew Force was deployed on the backs of the Resmalatavine (Former al-Atavine), which the English call Atawineh. Resmelatavine Ridge 2 ' Nci in the Gaza Strip was defended by the 53rd Infantry Division, under the command of Colonel Refet (Major General Bele). The British and Australian Equestrian Troops were heavily defeated. The British detachment of the Italian Carabinieri and Bersaglieri troops marched in March and April 1917 to the 3rd Gaza battlefield and in the following months they joined the hard and successful battles in many places to reward the British for their honor And they greeted Alenby's entrance to Jerusalem, and his commanders were in the cortege.

Edited by Jrmh

I can't tell you how grateful I am for all your help. Should you be in J'salem in November, you can all have free tickets to the show!!!

Jrmh, I see you must have worked very hard on that Google translate. Never have I seen Google return such an accurate result! Many, many, thanks!

You are welcome. It did not take long.

I have sent you a PM.

Jim

1 hour ago, Powis said:

I can't tell you how grateful I am for all your help. Should you be in J'salem in November, you can all have free tickets to the show!!!

Jrmh, I see you must have worked very hard on that Google translate. Never have I seen Google return such an accurate result! Many, many, thanks!

I will be there 5 - 10 Nov.

Mate,

It should not be forgotten that while the Alllies were pushing towards Jerusalem, the Turkish 8th Army was fighting along the Auja.

This was to take to pressure off the 7th Army. 

So could these new formations (20th Turkish Div, fresh from Galicia as mentioned in Tosun's account), have been pushed into the defences of Jerusalem?

Michaeldr,  I think what they are getting at is the surrender of Jerusalem was by the locals, not the Ottoman Army, who had withdrawn.

As I said, minor difference to us, but some Turks still have trouble with this.

Thank you for that translation Jim.

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker