Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps

Sue Light

Some time ago, John Hartley wrote an account for 'Hellfire Corner' of one of the men he has researched whose name appears on Cheadle war memorial. That man, Harry Eastwick, was a driver with the Army Service Corps, and in June 1915 was a motor cyclist attached to 18th Anti-aircraft section, RGA - earlier that year he had been attached to a machine gun company. Can anyone hazard a guess at the role of an ASC motor cyclist within an artillery unit?

Is it possible that he was part of a group of experienced drivers who were used as 'runners' by different units, or would the Anti-aircraft sections be sited near to large stores and depots with a lot of ASC personnel nearby - by the position of the units on the trench maps that seems unlikely [although what do I know?].

Any suggestions appreciated.

Harry Eastwick's story can be read on Hellfire Corner at:

Harry Eastwick - an unlucky soldier

Sue

Sue

In Michael Young’s history of the ASC his Annex ‘N’ gives examples of unit establishments and page 256 shows that for “Workshop ASC for Anti-Aircraft Batteries of an Army (France) December 1916”

Sixteen vehicles are listed, including 5 motor cycles

Alas, no explanation is given as to exactly how they were employed

Elsewhere, e.g. Div Supply Column or Siege Artillery Battery, then motor cycles are simply listed as ‘For Personnel’ but I don’t think that this helps in your case which suggests that this man was a full-time motor-cycle driver. Is it possible that he had some other job as well?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Hallo Michael

The whole set up seems incomprehensible to me! I'd seen the reference by Mike Young, and it seemed that those vehicles somehow must have supported the workshop - I thought at first that perhaps Harry just dashed about taking parts to and fro, and perhaps doing a bit of mechanical repair work - he had an 'MS' prefix - Mechanical Specials. He certainly talks about 'taking messages,' but his letters home also state that he shared nearby billets with the RFA, and they got up at 3a.m. to 'prepare for action' and that it took about an hour to 'get things ready.' This seems to refer to the running of the anti-aircraft section.

Later on he reported that he was engaged in 'aerial observation duties', which again sounds like he was part of the AA section. So he seemed to be doing all sorts of things, but nothing that would normally be associated with the ASC - or would it? Maybe one of those things destined to stay secret :ph34r:

Sue

At a guess, I would say he was a despatch rider. Although this job is often associated with the Royal Engineers, the ASC provided DR's as well. It would not be unusual for attached personell to be involved in other activities such as aircraft spotting or the more mundane guard duties. The following link will give you some background:

http://www.westernfront.co.uk/thegreatwar/...als/erbooth.htm

Terry Reeves

Thanks for the link Terry. Yes, it does seem the most likely, and there must have been lots of quiet periods that need filling with other duties.

Sue

I'm starting to see a cartoon image of Harry - in arabesque pose on his bike, display team style, field glasses in one hand, message in the other, and a spanner gripped firmly between his teeth.

How I wish I had Soren's talent!

Sue