Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miners' regiments

dplatt

Would I be correct in believing that in the earliest months of World War 1 many men joined in groups and, therefore, may have gone into the same regiment?

You see I'm attempting to trace someone and the only information I have is that he was a miner/hewer and joined in April 1915 at the age of 36. Now I'm wondering if I found the mine he worked for and traced someone from the mine via CWGC and cross referenced them with the medal rolls, I'd be closer to finding which regiment my missing man went to.

Does anyone find this logical, can someone point out the faults in it and, finally, does anyone know how I may find lists of miners who joind 'en bloc'?

Thanks,

David.

Does anyone find this logical,

David,Yes but Not recommended because this makes a big assumption, similarly in 1915 he could have been sent to any regiment under Darby Scheme allocations.

Does your man have a name and number etc?? If so post them it makes things a bit clearer as his MIC should tell us the regiment.

Miners generally were reserved occupations, so if your man was aminer it is unlikely he joined enbloc with his mining pals.

Roop

David,

As Roop says you would be making a fairly big assumpton, from my Village by the end of 1914, 250 miners had enlisted, 100 of whom for some strange reason went into the Lincolnshire Regt., the Majority of the others went into the Notts. & Derby Regt., the County Regiment. This rate of enlistment and the period led of course to the Pals Battalions, yes they were en.bloc. recruitment. By the end of 1914 this rate I believe tailed off, but local recruitment seemed to show that most men went into their County Regiments which may possibly point the way for you.

Regards Cliff.

Hi Cliff,

Not exactly sure of your location but assume North Notts / Derby/S Yorks.

I recently acquired an SR for a miner from Crowle (Axeholme near Donny) he went as you have inferred to the Lincolns rather than other county regiments.

He later ended up in a tunneling company. It would be interesting to know what proportion of miners actually ended up as RE Tunnellers.

Roop

Hi Roop,

The Village I come from is Whitwell, Derbyshire, the Parish borders Yorks., and Notts. half a mile down the road is Notts, two miles the other way is Yorkshire. Of the 400 men who went from the Village, 1914/18 the vast majority were Miners ( Roll of Honour still in existence) Only 6 served in the R. E.s two only were Tunnellers, as far as I can see, one Harry Squires was k.i.a. age 50 years 21/3/1918 in the defence of Albert.

I don't believe Coal Miners were particularly suitable for tunnelling, clay kickers were better for the geology of N. France.

Regards Cliff.

He joined the Essex and was demobbed in late 18 after being wounded 3 times. So, I am assuming that he saw active service.

You see I've traced as much as I can from a photograph of him which is the only reference the family had.

I've searched the MIC and WO/363 and WO/364 but the only document with definite reference to the man is a siver war badge. I know that the men from the Essex with 49XXX numbers who died joined that regiment from elsewhere but I don't know where my man came form.

I'm hoping to find men from the same mine or area in the hope that it will give me another point to search from.

Thanks for all your efforts so far.

David.