Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Tom Hotel Ypres

DuncanBro

Can anyone tell me what Old Tom Hotel in Ypres is like. Me and a few friends are thinking of staying there when we go to Ypres in July.

It seems to be a lot cheaper than many of the others.

I've stayed there once and eaten and drunk there many times. The food and beer were always good. The rooms.. well the food and beer were good!

Garth

My brother and I stayed there in 2011, so things may have changed.

We shared a twin room for four nights. It was basic but functional - actually the room was a very decent size, and overlooked the market square (I think that we requested this). The bathroom smelt terrible when we arrived, but after flushing the loo it was fine. The wooden stairs up four flights to our room were very old and steep. I don't think that this would suit elderly or disabled visitors.

For a group of chaps on a budget I think it is ideal, but if you have wives or girlfriends with you then I suggest that you might look for something a little more upmarket.

The restaurant is superb, and the staff are the nicest people in Ieper..

William

Edited by WilliamRev

The owner recently died I was just told???? Was all closed yesterday. 

You wont be staying I fear until new owner???

TT

I stayed there a few months ago with a pal. The room was adequate, and clean. The staircase is narrow, and don't trust the bannisters, there is no lift. I the hotel  resumes trading I would be quite happy to stay there again for a short visit. The food was Ypres standard, not exciting, but acceptable and about the average price.

Keith

Although this review is a little dated, I stayed there in 1968; I distinctly recall a Watneys' (spelling??) 'Red Barrel' sign. If you wanted a bath you paid for the key - again IIRC, the cost of the key was the equivalent of a third of the price of the room. My father and I never stayed there again, but that was partly because there was no room in the inn on the next occasion, two years later; and then there was a long gap of ten years or so before the next visit and by then I could pay my own way, so we went slightly up market.

Apart from the key business it seemed OK and possibly something to right home about, but for its eccentricity rather than anything else. 

Is this the place with the large (long) dining area downstairs at the back, please?

If so, our band had a meal there when we toured in 2014, and it was very good.

Have often stayed here, more than adequate as a base! Food is pretty good, at times menu can be a bit basic but Chef has on more than one occasion altered dishes to suit the requirements of group members. Breakfast, again, fairly basic but plentiful and decent (for those of our party who have actually MADE IT to breakfast!), but I would reiterate its unsuitability for elderly, infirm or disabled visitors due to the steep, narrow staircase (the bannisters have been knackered ever since I first stayed there way back in 2000). And, a major plus point, it's only fifty metres staggering distance from The Times Bar! Hope it's back in business soon 

Stayed there once, basic but did what was needed.