Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unending Vigil

doogal

Hi,

I've got a copy of "Unending Vigil", which charts the creation of the CWGC and the Cemeteries in France. It continues through the Second World War and beyond.

Whilst it is not a detailed reference book, it does offer some good general information about the reasons why the cemeteries are as they are, general (and I stress, general) information about battlefield clearance after the war. It also includes detailed content about the bureaucratic history of the Commission and the internal politics that formed it. Good passages about the tensions between the varying architects, committees and builders - artists and builders - not a good mix by the looks of it.

Anyhow, if I can help, I shall try.

regards

doogal

• 5 months later...

Does it talk about consolidation, and do you know if there is an equivilant book for German/Belgian/French cemetaries?

Andy

Just to add to Doogal's offer....

If anyone wants info from CWGC's Annual Reports, I have a complete set from 1917-2004. The earlier ones particularly are a mine of information, statistics etc.

Just to add to Doogal's offer....

If anyone wants info from CWGC's Annual Reports, I have a complete set from 1917-2004. The earlier ones particularly are a mine of information, statistics etc.

Hi Terry,

Do these reports hold any info on how many bodies have been discovered in a particular area, or, for example, in the earlier reports, what the state of completion was for cemeteries under construction (and I realise this will be in general terms)

eg. 300 more men found in the Puisieux area this year, interred in xyz cemeteries in plots a,b,c - or I suppose, organised searches thi year - 3, in x,y,z areas, 3000 bodies recovered etc...

My favourite would be any information related to the Gommecourt British Cemetery No2 and the Rossignol Wood/Puisieux area near Bucquoy

regards

doogal