Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A good use of a Dead Mans Penny

larneman

This photograph comes from this site and is dated July 2004:-http://groups.msn.com/CanadaWorldWarOnetheFirstContingent/yourwebpage1.msnw

How long would it remain in place in a UK or NL graveyard these days?? Just wondering and I find it the right way to use the "penny".

Liam

The whole memorial stone.

There are two like that in a cemetery near where I live, and I was a bit surprised myself when I found them that they were still there. One is very weathered like the one above, but the other is in pretty good condition for 80 years or so outdoors.

They're both on family plots and, although there is no mention of the soldier on the text of either stone, each has the plaque set into it.

I guess the family felt that since they had no body to bury this was the next best thing to having them in the family grave.

Hi!

I took the picture of the memorial posted above earlier this year. That was the only grave including a Memorial Plaque embedded within the monument.

I'm attaching a full view photograph. The soldier in question is not actually buried there - this is a tribute placed by the family.

The cemetery has many interesting WWI memorial markers in a variety of designs. The cemetery is well maintained and policed (a cemetery security car circles around about every 10 minutes) and there are few signs of vandalism. The older sections are rarely visited - there was usually no one else around when I was there.

A map is not available to locate WWI burials and memorial markers, however, in just walking around I have photographed at least 200 different memorials. There are a few CWGC markers in the cemetery. In some cases the smaller CWGC marker is placed beside the more elaborate family memorial.

Marika

post-19-1102961359.jpg

Here's another bronze panel also in a cemetery in Toronto. Note the cap badge. There are two attached to this monument and located on either side of the monument (two brothers or cousins). Each has worn in a different manner - one is still dark, and this one has turned green.

I have observed several graves with regimental badges incorporated into the design. Bronze panels are not common.

An article about Cockburn is located here.

post-19-1102961792.jpg

Thanks to all for posting the pics..terrific.

Could someone please explain to an ignorant ex-pat the significance/ meaning of a Dead Man's Penny ? <_<

Robbie

Thanks to all for posting the pics..terrific.

Could someone please explain to an ignorant ex-pat the significance/ meaning of a Dead Man's Penny ? <_<

Robbie

The memorial plaque looks like a giant version of the pre-decimal currency; a 'penny'. It was only issued to the next of kin of someone who was, err, 'dead'.

Hence, 'dead man's penny' or 'widow's penny' or 'death plaque' etc etc.

While I really appreciate members posting the pictures of a plaque being used in this way, as Larneman has hinted, may I please, please, please ask that nobody post ANY similar headstones (in Europe). I know for a fact that some b*****s are stealing them from UK cemeteries.

I have already been approached by two people asking if I know of any plaques in cemeteries. I will NOT give out this sort of info, so I hope that you won't either.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the CWGC and work out where a plaque is, from a clear photo, SDGW, and the online register.

Thanks for the warning and answering indirectly a question. As I was wondering if this was a rare form of rememberance.

Liam

Here is one fitted into the end of a pew. The name has been blurred in the photo to prevent identification of the site!

Michael Pegum

post-19-1103234419.jpg