Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Romanian Front

domsim

Hi

Can anybody recommend a good English language study (or sources of maps & photos.) of the campaigns in Romania. I am mainly interested in the fighting on the Danube around Tulcea and Izmail (in the east on the delta near on the current Ukrainian border) in late 1916 and early 1917.

Thanks.

Dominic

Try searching Indiana University History Department, they have a PhD student getting the degree on this area, can't remember name but can come up with it if you have trouble, you should not. I have visited the area of the Carpathian fighting, beautiful area.

Andy it was 10 years or so ago, travelled to Istanbu, then train to Bucharest and Sofia, beautiful countries and the women are gorgeous. WIth the $ so bad these would be a lot better than the West. We did reach the Carpathians saw summer residence of the Hohenzollern king, lots of cemeteries from GW there.

Foxy Ferdinand Czar of Bulgaria is a great read and best ever book about Balkans is Dame Rebecca West's Black Lamb Gray Falcon, incredible history/travel about Balkans just before WW2.

I spotted a couple of studies produced by the Romanian Institute in Foyles military section. Can't remember the titles but they were rather pricey as I recall!

Simon Moody