Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Harold Bromley-Smith 1916

Myrtle

I came across this report of Richard Harold Bromley-Smith's death in the Kensington News and West London Times, 7th January 1916. I haven't been able to find his details on CWGC so wondering if he has been researched by anyone involved with the  In From The Cold project ?

Richard Harold Bromley- Smith.JPG

Bromley -Smith 2.JPG

Bromley-Smith 3.JPG

Found this reference - but do not have access to fold3 on Ancestry to view original image....

Harold Richd Bromley-Smith

Age 20

Birth Date: abt 1870

Birth Place: Brompton, Middlesex

Service Start Year: 1890

Regiment: Kings Own Sco Borderers

Regimental Number: 3434

Attestation Paper: Yes

Register of Soldiers' Effects has a record - transcribed as 'Committed Luicide' !!!! H R Bromley-Smith Death 03 January 1916 Rank:  2nd Lieutenant Royal Field Artillery (Interpreter) 

Medal Roll 1914 Star - H R Bromley-Smith 2nd Lieutenant - Interpreter and Intelligence Corps

National Archive - WO 339/24089 - 2nd Lieutenant H R BROMLEY-SMITH. Corps of Interpreters. (1914-1916)

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

Thanks Barbara

I will follow it up. 

Interesting  that his first names are given in a different order in the newspaper. I've used the surname as a search on CWGC but no matches. 

Just wondered if someone has him on an "In from The Cold" list otherwise I may be duplicating work already done. 

• 4 years later...

Case put forward by IFCP, from his service file it appears that he was a serving officer at the time of his death.

• 11 months later...

Second Lieutenant Harold Edward Richard Bromley-Smith has now been accepted for commemoration and is listed on CWGC:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75469787/harold-edward-richard-bromley-smith/

Place of burial is not yet known, as far as I'm aware.