Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Cemetery?

Paul Reed

Recently got this off Ebay in a collection of photos of a ?30s pilgrimage to the Ypres area; other photos showed Kemmel, Lock 8, Tyne Cot.

Any ideas on the cemetery?

I have a couple of ideas, but feedback welcome.

I would like to try and identify who it is he is looking at - perhaps a comrade? By the line of his eyes it is the MGC grave he is looking at.

post-19-1102943876.jpg

30s? My guess would have been the 20s based on the 'fashion'.

Were the pictures part of a series, perhaps pictures this gentleman took on his return visit? If there were come association between the images it might make it more easy to identify the location.

Andy

I really don't envy you with this one, Paul.

Apart from commenting that I don't think it could be Yres Ramparts or Town Extension Cemeteries due to the lack of any buildings in the background (or ruins), it seems to one common feature with much of the salient - flat and featureless.

I thought I might look at some plans and photographs on the CWGC site and produce a shortlist. But then I checked the list of cemeteries on the Holts map and - sorry - changed my mind!

I agree with andigger that the clothes look more 20s than 30s.

Paul,

My intuition very often is wrong (I'm a man), once in a while it is correct.

What about New Irish Farm Cemetery ?

My intuitive opinion is based on

- the fact that the cemetery is sloping up toward the cross of sacrifice,

- and the headstones facing away from the cross.

The path on the right side of the photo could be near the main entrance ?

I have printed out the photo and next time I am there (could be tomorrow) I'll compare the emblems.

I have a few pics of New Irish Farm Cemetery, but unfortunately not from this spot.

Aurel

Paul,

Just trying to illustrate what I meant...

If (if !) your photo is New Irish Farm Cem., maybe it can be compared to this one I took in the opposite direction, standing on the foot of the Cross of Sacrifice(sorry, bit disrespectful, but I only do that when there are no visitors, and I can't help it, but often I do want to have a nice photo)

Maybe the man entered the cemetery, and left the central path (which leads to the Stone of Remembrance, visible on my photo) and turned left, passing the front row headstones.

My problem however, when comparing both photos, is that the tree behind him is gone in my photo. (But trees planted in the 20smay have died by now.)

(And if you think my photo shows a much vaster cemetery : it was taken with a 38 mm lens, not really wide, but ...)

Aurel

post-19-1102949264.jpg

Paul,

I first was tempted to agree with Aurel and still am convinced that this is a serious possibility. However having looked at it several times now I am under the impression that the Cem is bigger than New Irish which, excluding for obvious reasons Tyne Cot, would lead to Lijssenthoek Poperinge.

What are the other emblems you think ?

jacky

I first was tempted to agree with Aurel and still am convinced that this is a serious possibility. However having looked at it several times (...) would lead to Lijssenthoek Poperinge.

jacky

Jacky,

It's always the same with you. First you give me hope, by saying that you tend to agree (so that at last we can become friends), and then you disassociate yourself from me again !

Well, it you want war, you'll get it !

Lijssenthoek Cemetery ? Don't you believe it !

- In L.C. The cross of sacrifice stands in a corner, doesn't it ?

- There may be a mild slope in L.C. but not like on Paul's photo, and not up towatds the cross.

- The headstones in L.C. are facing in two different directions, but not in the direction shown in Paul's photo

- Most of all : the L.C. headstones are the 'horrible' Hopton wood stone, and Paul's are Portland

Conclusion : I am not tempted to agree with you, and even, more I am strongly tempted to strongly disagree with you ! Now, can we be friends again ? ;)

Aurel

Aurel,

Ok!! Ok!! don't get on your high horse!!!! ;)

After your mail looked again and some, SOME (never will admit publicly that possibly, maybe all are correct), of your remarks are possibly correct but what made me change my mind is the fact

that the rows of graves, from the point I thought the photo was taken on Lijssenthoek, are longer and mostly I dont think they are interrupted by flowers. Will you be able to sleep well now :lol: . My first choise is also New Irish now.

Jacky

Jacky.... Just to jump in for a minute....If Aurel gets too far out of line just ask him who out ranks who, a Lieutenant or 2nd Lt, but be sure to give him sometime to think about it!! :D

Thanks guys, although I wasn't expecting a quarrel... !! :lol:

New Irish is a possibility; I had also thought of Dochy Farm, but wasn't sure about the position of the Cross.

The graves seem to suggest 3rd Ypres with Canadians and RWF and RIR etc plus the MGC one.

If it matches next time you are there Aurel, I would be interested.

This is nothing important, as such, but the look on that chap's face suggests he is thinking of a comrade while he looks at his mate's grave... maybe?

I think you are all right - 20s rather than 30s. Just wanted to see what people thought.

Thanks to one and all!

Paul,

My intuition was 100% correct : New Irish Farm Cemetery, no doubt. And the photo below to prove it.

If you wonder : where is the Cross of Sacrifice ? A poplar is behind it now, and from where my photo was taken, the cross is not really discernible.

The four headstones (from left to right) :

1 - W. Williams, 291802, Royal Welch Fusilier, 4 Aug 1917

2 - A. Davies, 35494, Machine Gun Corps, 1 Aug 1917

3 - (I suppose that's the one the visitor is looking at ?) J. Copeland, 5/8816, Royal Irish Rifles, 5 Aug 1917

4 - Unknown Soldier

Aurel

post-19-1103019540.jpg

I reckon he's looking at the Royal Irish Rifles grave as well. I think you're right Paul, his hat off in respect, hands clasped in front, a former comrade paying his respects... or a relative? The chap looks to be in his mid 40's? He looks to be a fairly substantial man...

Anyway, forgive me for playing the speculation game.