Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish War Memorials

oak

This is to advise members of a new website that records people commemorated on war memorials in the Republic of Ireland. While the focus at present is mainly on Dublin war memorials the man who set up the website hopes to expand the database in time. The website address is www.irishwarmemorials.ie

Regards,

Philip

Deepest apologies Clive and rest of forum,

Please put it down to my newness in the forum. I'd be grateful, if possible, if the technical wizards could repost the entry on a more suitable part of the forum.

Regards,

A deeply embarrassed Philip

Philip - I think the guy behind this is Michael Pegum??? He's a forum member and no doubt he'll be pleased to see your interest.

Best wishes

Des

Thanks for the mention of the website. I did announce it in this part of the Forum on 30th November, in fact. Anyone in the Irish Republic who can contribute would be very welcome, and the way to do so is explained on the site.

Northern Ireland is covered by the U.K. Inventory of War Memorials (http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.00g00c) but Jane Furlong, who is running it, tells me that she has received very few records from there so far.

The main emphasis of my site is on the names of those commemorated, and 2,600 are recorded so far. Also, members of particular regiments or services can be found. Various experts on the Forum have been very helpful in identifying regiments identified by initials on the memorials.

At present, the "Persons" database is very slow to open, but I am working on this.

Michael Pegum

Thanks Des ---- and best of luck with the site Michael.

Regards,

Philip

Michael,

Great site. I must have missed your November "launch" posting..... as this is something I was thinking of doing for my area - Bristol.

Keep up the great work.

Les.

Thanks, Les,

As a post-script, please see the following (slightly edited) announcement on the IWM website (http://london.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.2227):

The Fourth IWM Student Film Festival and Competition 2004 Winners

One of the winning titles for the Fourth IWM Student Film Festival and Competition 2004 is:

Winner of the Audience Poll

The Cruel Clouds of War (2003)

A documentary about the Irishmen of Belvedere College in Dublin who fought and died in military conflicts of the twentieth century. Directed by Nick McKenna at Griffith College.

The winning entries will be screened on 14-16, 18, 20-23, 27-31 December 2004 at 2.00pm, 3.00pm and 4.00pm.

This film was made in conjunction with the unveiling of a new memorial in Belvedere College (a Jesuit secondary school), Dublin, in November, 2003. The memorial appears on the website below. There are 47 names from the Great War.

Michael Pegum

Great site - well worth a look.

As you are doing a site about Irish war memorials Maybe a link to a very interesting place I came across on a recent trip to the emerald isle -

The German Military Cemetery at Glencree Co Wicklow - very moving place.

Its probably more for WW2 enthusiasts but there are 6 Graves of WW1 POWs.

Apologies in advance if this info has been covered before but I am new to this forum.

http://www.wicklowtoday.com/history/glencree.htm

I have a few nice pics if anyones interested.

Glyn

Interested in anything WW1

Hello, Glyn,

I will be recording the memorial at the German cemetery some time soon. Thanks for reminding me about it. The graves are outside the scope of my project.

Michael