Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

117 Labour Corps

doogal

Hi,

It seems my interest has moved on into the subject of battlefield clearance. As many will be aware, very little has been written about this, or records kept - at least at the level of detail we have become accustomed to with the wartime regimental diaries and so on.

Now, I am aware that the 117 Labour Corps were working in the Bucquoy area in 1919, but with next to no knowledge of the Labour Corps in the post war environment, I wish to ask what is once more a basic question - Are organised records available relating to the Labour Corps' activities, formations and tasks in the immediate postwar period? Part of my interest is in the area just south of Bucquoy by about a km and westwards towards Gommecourt - would this be their area?

OK - Burial returns are with the CWGC, which is fine, but are there any maps of which units were in which geographical area, or indeed any basic diaries or an "order of battle": I have a recollection that a posting said that the National Archive do not have much in the way of documentation on this period of the army's history. Can anyone confirm this?

regards

doogal