Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War held in Germany

taylorsearcher

My ancestor was captured in / near St.Quentin, during the big German offensive in March 1918.  The ICRC website records his details as being at Unverwundet / Langensalza - apparently deep in Germany.  He appears to have been detained there for the remainder of the war.  His service record indicates that he was 'posted to depot' 7.1.1919 (finally demobbed 10.10.1919).

Can someone tell me what the process / procedure would have been for his repatriation to England?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am researching my great grandfather who died as a POW in December of 1918. He was initially interned at Cassel and them transferred to Mannheim, where he died.

I do not know the circumstances of his death, and probably never will.  What deepens the tragedy is that he was captured "unwounded" 

I tried to click the link to the POW pdf, but was unable to access it.  Would it be possible to post again?

Anyone with any further information regarding conditions at a Mannschaftslager camp in Mannheim in the final months of 1918?

Thank you all so much.

The old link higher up doesn't work for me either.

Not certain, but the document might be the same one linked in this post here:

Edited by MBrockway

19 hours ago, emailasl said:

Hi,

I am researching my great grandfather who died as a POW in December of 1918. He was initially interned at Cassel and them transferred to Mannheim, where he died.

I do not know the circumstances of his death, and probably never will.  What deepens the tragedy is that he was captured "unwounded" 

Have you have looked at the ICRC records? in many cases the cause of death is given.

Charlie

I’ve located the icrc records that mention him being an unfounded POW, nothing reaping to his death

15 hours ago, MBrockway said:

The old link higher up doesn't work for me either.

Not certain, but the document might be the same one linked in this post here:

Thank you... I’ll have a look at it