Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red light, Blue light

Muerrisch

Guest Simon Bull

Langley Baston

Have you seen the article by Emily Payne in the latest "Stand To" (page 32).

The article seems well researched and she refers to Red and Blue Lamp brothels without seeming to doubt their existence for a moment.

Where on earth do I uncover a town major's diary? Are they a separate classs please. Not my area at all.

They are in WO95. Sadly very few have survived.

The one for Poperinghe only covers 1915-1917, and even then is not complete. It's reference is:

WO 95/4042

Langley Baston

Have you seen the article by Emily Payne in the latest "Stand To" (page 32).

The article seems well researched and she refers to Red and Blue Lamp brothels without seeming to doubt their existence for a moment.

Yes, thank you, it was the article itself that reminded me that I have never seen any trustworthy evidence of Blue Lights illuminating officers's brothels. Whilst I bow to her superior knowledge and depth of research, no source reference is quoted for the point at issue, and I would be completely convinced if there were evidence such as suggested.

I find it not insignificant that Brophy and Partridge in 'The Long Trail' no less, whilst defining 'Red Lamp', and 'Knocking Shop', make no cross-reference to such a facility for officers. Both the authors served in the war, I believe.

They are in WO95. Sadly very few have survived.

The one for Poperinghe only covers 1915-1917, and even then is not complete. It's reference is:

WO 95/4042

Thank you. January NA list addition, therefore.

• 2 weeks later...

Col Langleybaston - Robert Graves in Goodbye to All That definitely writes about two lights - one for officers and one for men - he makes the point several times that he used neither. From memory so dont have the page.

Robbie - why assume all women only intersted in men in the red light district? ?

Everyone - one of my soldiers was treated for VD - he was sent to London to work for some months but I cant find other records of leave. I assume though that visiting ladies would not require leave just being out of the trenches??? Were villages and town in France near rest areas very entrepreneurial at the time ??? How much would it cost? Were the suppliers of services checked for disease?? Were any kind of prophylactics supplied to men??? Etc etc. After all if lights and facilities were supplied did they take the provision of the service to its logical conclusion?

Kathie

• 13 years later...

For some reason, YouTube thinks I may be interested in what appears to be a short "public information" film urging soldiers to resist Temptation when on leave in London:

Whatsoever a Man Soweth

which I'm guessing may be the title.

I do wonder about the exhortation towards the end "to play the game" - slightly unfortunate wording?

Moonraker

18 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

I do wonder about the exhortation towards the end "to play the game"

I think that cost an extra Shilling.