Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is it 'do-able' to see Flers, Messines and Languemarck as well as Ypres?

FenClare

Dear All

I would like to commemorate 3 ancestors who served in WW1 - they fought at Flers, Bernefray Wood, Messines, Broodesinde, Railway Wood , Frezenburg and Passchendaele. Have posted various bits about these 3 soldiers - Private Alfred Henry Hatte (Anzac), Edward Stokes Hatte (RIR) and William Frederick Stokes Hatte.    Can you tell me how far are the sites of Flers , Messines and Bernefray Wood from the Ypres and Languemarck area? Would it be possible to incorporate all these sites in a few days or is this being too ambitious? I have read Dean's very useful post giving info on the trip to Ypres - so thank you that is really helpful- but could Flers, Bernefray Wood and Frezenburg/ Languemarck also be included with a trip to Ypres? (My geography isn;t great!)

All suggestions gratefully received

FenClare

Fen Clare 

A lot depends on how long you need to be in the places you mention and the time of year, Messines is about a 30 minute drive from Ypres.

Flers is according to google is approx 1 hour 40 minutes  from Ypres plus another 30 or so to get to Bernefray Wood.

So if you are going mid summer and make a very early start it is possible , but personally I would I would find somewhere to stay on the Somme even if it was only for one night. 

Hopes this helps and enjoy your trip.

Malcolm 

Yes, you could certainly see all of these places in a few days.

I would do Messines, Broodseinde, Railway Wood , Frezenburg and Passchendaele on one day (two if you have the time).

And you can do the must-see sites of the Somme (Thiepval, Newfoundland Park, etc.) plus Flers and Bernafay Wood on another day.

Dear Malcom and Ken

Thank you very much indeed ! Such huge events happened in the Great War at these locations that they exist in separate "bubbles" for me - it is amazing they were comparatively close together.

Shall take your advice re staying and giving them all plenty of time

Best Wishes

FenClare

A possible approach for you would be to fly in to Paris pick up a hire car and drive to the Somme region in less than two hours. Stay in one of the many recommended sites such as Avril's at Auchonvilliers, see the accommodation thread,  and do the Somme sites. Then drive to Ypres in say two hours and stay for a couple of nights and do many of the Ypres sites. Varlet Farm and The Dugout spring to mind for accommodation. Two and a half hours driving will see you back at Charles de Gaul airport to drop off the hire car and pick up your flight home. Cheap flights also available to Charleroi if Paris  not possible. I do similar trips regularly. Just ask if you want any advice.

Lens

Yes, we did it. spent two night at a really nice auberge at Merris, from where we visited Ypres, Langemark etc, then down to another auberge near Bapaume, and visited Somme area. 

Fen Clare,

Can't really fault what's already been said. The only thing I can think of to add is take as much time as you can spare/afford rather than be in one mad rush point to point. Have you read any of the various battlefield driving guides? If you allow enough time between your chosen destinations these guides often include places en route that many may miss (particularly me) which may help provide a bigger picture as to the activity in that sector.

As has also been mentioned, there are numerous places offering accommodation (dependent on season/anniversary) varying from town centre hotels to farmhouse b+b's . 

You obviously have an interest in history. My money is on you making subsequent visits, most of us curious types have !

Simon