Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map ref for Hermies

jonclarkage3

Can anyone confirm which Trench Map Hermies on the Bapaume to Cambrai road is on. I read somwhere that it is on sheet 57D SE 1+2. Is this correct. In particular I am looking for a sunken road near a French Cemetary, about 200 yards from the village. My great grand fathers cousin was killed here with 3rd battalion AIF in April 1917 just as they took the village.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jon Clark

Hi Jon

I have a copy of this map. The I have got is 57c N.E.3, British trenches correct to 1-11-17 and German trenches correct to 20-9-17. By the way the village is surrounded by sunken Roads. If you want I can scan it (well Hermies area) I have a couple of map to scan for another pal but it could be a couple of days to a week before I get around to it.

Annette

By the way the 6/K.S.L.I. were on the other side of canal.

Jon, attached is map of Hermies from April 1917. No German trenches are shown because there were none, Hermies was an outpost village a mile in front of the Hindenburg Line. The British trenches are hand drawn, as no maps printed yet.

The 3rd Bn went into the village from the southwest, so it is likely the French cemetary you want is the one shown at lower part of map, south of village. Hope this is of help, Peter.

Hi Jon & Peter

You beat me to it Peter.

There is an amusing story in a book by Capt. Dugdale of the 6/K.S.L.I. that you both may be interested in or not. He does not give a date but I am sure it took place between the 9th and 11th April, anyway during this time the 6/K.S.L.I. outpost line run alone a sunken road on the opposite side of the canal. Dugdale writes:-

I was on duty one lovely spring afternoon in this road, lying on the bank of the canal reading a book, when a shout from the other side startled me.

“Say,” called a man-an Australian Soldier- “where does this path lead to ?”

“To Havrincourt Wood,” I replied.

“I’m going to have a look at it,” he said.

“Stop,” I shouted. “There is a Bosche machine gun post in the corner; don’t be a fool”.

The man had no equipment, just a rifle and a tin hat.

“I shall be all right,” he laughed. “I don’t suppose the Bosche are there”.

It was nothing to do with us if he committed suicide. We watched his progress with much interest. Having lit a cigarette and slung his rifle over his shoulder he strolled off down the canal bank whistling. We could see him stop opposite the end of the wood and look over to our side. He then calmly proceeded to take his coat and boots off and swam to the other side. A series of splashes made it evident that he was throwing the machine gun post into the canal. He swam back and put on his clothes. As he strolled up on his return he shouted to us,

“I chucked all their _____ goods into the canal. They won’t half be wild when they come back to-night. So long”.

Off he went as if he had been for a walk in the park.

Annette