Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map query

Sue Light

I'm trying to find the location of 18th Anti-aircraft section, RGA, in June-September 1915. I have an extract from the unit war diary for the period, and there are a lot of trench map references, but not much in the way of place names. I've had a trawl through the Trench Map Archive CD, but not had much success.

The known details are:

Sheet 36 Belgium

On 8th June 1915 - 'Gun at H.35.a.5.6'

On 1st August - 'a' gun at M.20.d.2.5 and 'b' gun at G.36.a.9.5

The only place name, not clearly written, is 'Croix Barbier' [possibly].

Can anyone tell me the area in which these guns were active?

Thanks - Sue

Sue.

All 3 of these locations can be found on the Trenchmap CD.

H35a is on the Bois Grenier map (36NW4). It referrs to a location approx 3/4 mile SW of Bois Grenier.

M.20d is on the Aubers map (36SW1) and refers to a place 3/4 mile SW of Laventie and 1/4 mile SW of Pointe du Hem.

and G36a is on the Fleurbaix map (36NW3) and refers to a place near Rouge de Bou which is about 1/2 mile ENE of Laventie.

Hope this is of some help. I take it you don't need scans of any of these places? (the CD has maps nearer to the dates you require than I have anyway!!!)

Dave.

Dave

Thanks very much for that. I think I had a bit of a blank in that the map was called 'Belgium' and kept thinking I should be going in a more northerly direction. But all found and copied now.

And rumour has it that there's someone on this forum who knows quite a bit about trench maps :lol:

Thanks again

Sue