Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ribbon Identification

BStaples

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me.

I've searched the messages and threads on this forum and cannot find any information so I thought that I would post a message and ask the esprets.

My Grandfather faught in World War 1 with the Royal Field Artillery (Regiment No 314 / 970221). The medals he received include a ribbon that does not have a medal associated with it (unfortunately, it may be lost).

My Grandfather never talked about his experiences during World War 1 and I'm afraid the this part of our family history may be lost.

I've believe that the ribbon is may be the "Territorial Decoration" or the "Efficiency Decoration", but I'm not sure as the information on WW1 ribbons does not seem to be very extensive.

If anyone can help me identify this ribbon, it would be very much appreciated.

I've included a picture of the ribbon and hope someone knows what it is for and why it was awarded.

Thanks!

Brad

post-23-1102881201.gif

Brad,

First of all... welcome to the madhouse that is the forum :lol: (you don't have to be mad, but it helps).

The ribbon you've shown could be either you've mentioned, but odds on, 99% sure it would have been for the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. This was issued for minimum 12 years service in the Territorial Force.

The other medal you mentioned, the Territorial Decoration, only had 4783 issued, so you can probably say that your Grandfather was due the TFEM.

Cheers,

Les

If it dates from WW1, it can only be the "Territorial Force Efficiency Medal", instituted in 1908 and superceded in 1921 by the Territorial Efficiency Medal. The Efficiency decoration wasn't instituted untill 1930.

It was granted for 12 years service in the TF.

Dave.

Les,

Thanks for the quick post.

I'm a little confused...

My Grandfather enlisted in 1914 and served until he was demobilized in June 1919.

He faught in the Eastern Theater and France

As the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal was issued for minimum 12 years service in the Territorial Force, isn't it more likely that it's the Territorial Decoration?

Thanks,

Brad

If it is the Territorial Decoration and as the award is notified in the London Gazette try doing a search.

Regards

John

Whoa there! Stop the lorry.

Let's assume that Brad's grandfather was an 'other rank' not an officer, so no Territorial Decoration.

Aren't the index cards for Territorial Force Effeciency Medals (at least the war time issues) held with the MICs at the National Archives?

Under certain circumstances war service counted double - so if he joined the Terries in or before 1910 and served on active service - on operations from August 1914 - November 1918, he could have qualified for a TFEM by the time he was demobbed.

But I'm not an expert.

Forgive me for asking - is the ribbon roughly 32 mm wide, dark green with a central yellow stripe? If so, it looks like a TFEM ribbon.

William

Here is a Territorial Force Efficiency Medal and ribbon - make of it what you will

Regards

post-23-1103147495.jpg

Willam,

Thanks for the info.

My Grandfather volunteered late in 1913 or early 1914 and was demobilized in 1919.

His rank was Lance-Bdr. (precursor to Lance Cpl.).

We have many of his millitary documents, unfortunately we have conflicting date as to when he entered the War. I believe that he volunteered in 1913 and began active service in 1914.

...Family lore and one of the documents we have has him entering in 1913.

He was not a professional soldier, he volunteered at the age of 16 (or just before his 16th birthday) as soon as England went to War.

...Family lore says that he lied about his age and volunteering at 15.

The military documents that we do have do not mention the TFEM at all.

We have the ribbon bar (see my original post) for the medal but not the medal itself.

A picture of his ribbon bar is in my original post, however, it looks exactly (although a little worn/aged) like the ribbon attached to the TEFM that you posted.

I've approached the National Archives in England, however, the documentation that they have on my Grandfather is little at best. So far we have been able to get only his medal card. Unfortunately, it only list 2 of the four medals that he was awarded.

Thanks for your help!

My search will continue, however, it looks like the ribbon bar that he has may be for the TFEM.

...my next challenge is to see if we can get a replacement medal.

Thanks Again!

Brad

Hi

It's not much, but can I just add.

Both ribbons (TFEM and TD) appear the same (Green with Broad Yellow Central stripe).

But...

The ribbon for the TFEM is 32mm wide, and the TD ribbon is 38mm wide.

Although already established as a Lance-Bombardier, would mean it would have to be the TFEM.

Assuming the medal was actually awarded to your Granfather, and wasn't a "collected" item.

Best Regards

Mark