Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery in India, Pack Battery query

MaureenE

I came across a book in the British Library catalogue

A Norfolkman in the Raj : the Royal Artillery 1920-1933 by  Alan W. Roper., published 2010

This book is cataloged Subjects: Great Britain. Army. Royal Regiment of Artillery. Pack Battery, 6th -- History -- Pictorial works ;Great Britain. Army. Royal Regiment of Artillery. Pack Battery, 6th -- Biography ; Great Britain. Army -- Colonial forces -- India -- History -- 20th century -- Pictorial works ;Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (Pakistan) -- History, Military -- 20th century -- Pictorial works ; Afghanistan -- History, Military -- 20th century -- Pictorial works ;

There is a FIBIS Fibiwiki page 26th Jacob's Mountain Battery http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/26th_Jacob's_Mountain_Battery which advises

• 1903 became the 26th Jacob's Mountain Battery
  • 1920 became the 26th Jacob's Pack Battery
  • 1921 became the 26th (Jacob's) Pack Battery
  • 1922 became the 106th (Jacob's) Pack Battery
  • 1924 became part of the Royal Regiment of Artillery as the 106th (Jacob's) Pack Battery R.A. 
  • 1927 became the 6th (Jacob's) Indian Mountain Battery R.A.
  • 1928 became the 6th (Jacob's) Mountain Battery R.A.

Does anyone know whether this book is, or is likely to be, about the above Mountain Battery, or were there other Pack/Mountain Batteries in the Royal Artillery?

I notice Abebooks has two books at £ 0.79 and one at £ 60.53, all plus shipping.

Cheers

Maureen

My understanding is that all of the Mountain Batteries were from the Indian Army Artillery:

Indian Mountain Artillery

with the exception of the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery:

4th Highland Brigade RGA

The mountain artillery in India consisted of eight British Army batteries (numbered 1 to 9, of which one was in Egypt) and twelve Indian Army batteries (numbered 21 to 32). The British 6 Mtn Batt RGA appears to have retained that number throughout the period 1920 to 1937, though its designation was changed to 6 Pack Battery in 1920 and to 6 Light Battery in 1927.

It seems likely, therefore, that the "Norfolkman in the Royal Artillery" served in that unit, and not in the Indian Army unit designated Jacob's.

Ron

As Ron indicates it is most probably 6th British Pack Battery with which he served as, if he was British, he would only have served in an Indian Mountain Battery as an officer - the other ranks were all Indian.

Dick Flory

I cannot recommend too highly "Tales of the Mountain Gunners". It is simply enthralling, moving, funny, inspiring and wonderful. It would be in my top 10 books never to part with.

Lots of copies on Abe at sensible prices.

This edition preferred:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=7447066546&searchurl=sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dmountain%2Bgunners%26sortby%3D17

16 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

The mountain artillery in India consisted of eight British Army batteries (numbered 1 to 9, of which one was in Egypt) 

Ron

Ron

I should have checked LLT !

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/the-mountain-batteries-of-the-royal-garrison-artillery/

The Station of Units 1914 lists the 9 Batteries. LLT outlines what looks  a further 6 Regular and 1 Territorial Brigade.

Ian

GW612H371.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maureen

Greetings

This is an interesting subject because until you understand it nothing appears to be what it seems.

Indian Army mountain batteries had British officers (and Indian officers) AND British senior ranks holding technical appointments.  The British personnel served in the Indian Army.

British Army mountain batteries based in India had large numbers of Indian personnel driving mules and performing administrative appointments such as shoe-smith.  These sepoys served in the British Army.

On the Salonika front a unit known as the Indian Battery in fact was a British RGA battery with a lot of Indian personnel.

Yes, do read Tales of the Mountain Gunners.     Harry

Thanks Harry for your comments.

Was the British RGA battery at Salonika one of the Batteries from India? Do you know which number? 

Cheers

Maureen

• 2 years later...

Hello all , stumbled across this thread whilst trying to find information about my great grand father. 

In the norfolkman in the raj book , there is a photograph of my great grandfather Horace Robinson ! 

This has been confirmed by my nan and backed up by his military information ,

just out of interest , would anyone know where any photos of his regiment would be stored?

any help much appreciated.

I would hope that the Royal Artillery Museum Archive would have something, as it was established that the Pack Battery was part of the Royal Artillery.

However, a lot of the collection is currently in storage following the closure of the Firepower Museum, although some items are currently available. 

Royal Artillery Museum website (under development , but with email  details)

Royal Artillery Museum Archive  Facebook

Cheers

Maureen 

Dear All,

I hold the medal group and have researched an Indian Mountain Artillery officer, Frederick Eden Elliot, Lt-Col., RA, Retd. 

Scans of some of this research may be of general interest - there is nothing better than sharing! Moreover, Freddie Elliot was mentioned in "Tales of the Mountain Gunners"...

The 'East Africa' notation on his Medal Index Card is spurious, to say the least, and should read 'France'. He was also a RFC Obs (wounded) with 15 Sqn. Latterly a King's, then Queen's Messenger. Married, no children. A keen shikari...403841061_10MtnBty1937Maymyo.jpg.33636768a66c48f8716166eff73c3c91.jpg183718248_10MtnBty1938AmbalaMajorFEElliot.jpg.ebc9941c72fe0ea186965e5de7b4bf8b.jpg59834606_10AbbotabadMtnBty.jpg.a58ff272cd2efb51923fd89efd33a49e.jpg604592542_15StarLtElliotRGA.jpg.9be805e35d538dafd006be51959e388b.jpg446347835_ApptsF.E.ElliotRA.jpg.ecf9bf5b48e182258779723ae9a7e568.jpg934606910_Apr1921IAList28PackBtyCaptElliot.jpg.da893d34b598362488328da6479499e0.jpg1760473319_ElliotMIC.jpg.d2f9683538b6a61e075d0e0e454dd955.jpg711645505_F.E.ElliotRA.jpg.e6e2dfeef74a1963eacbb0c32d0e822e.jpg148258982_FEElliot23MtnRgt.jpg.d2cf022904cf4efc931aba450596c4e1.jpg1839338341_FEElliot.jpg.c7cb3176b2142d07433513ac1da26a91.jpg1675004929_FreddieElliotMtnArtDinnerClubmembership.jpg.da90eb3e99548cc72ac0c9a395a1c16e.jpg957954770_MajorandMrsElliotanddogMaymyoca_1935.jpg.f37368a8d5442685a28c461c11021b1d.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All,

One would have thought that the Illustrated career details of F. E. Elliot (principally with Pack and Indian Mountain Batteries, RA - who even wrote a chapter in the must-have "Tales of the Mountain Gunners"), would have met with more enthusiasm in a thread dealing with Pack and Indian Mountain Batteries...! 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

12 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

would have met with more enthusiasm in a thread dealing with Pack and Indian Mountain Batteries.

Kim,

These photos and copies are much apreciated. Indian Mountain Batteries are a much neglected 'niche' market. Rather like post 11 above, the real value is that what you have posted sits on the forum and can produce a most rewarding response years later. Please keep postng.

charlie (a gunner aficionado)

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for your kind words: much appreciated!

I acquired the F. E. Elliot group by a straight exchange back in 1980, partly attracted by the fact that he had been an RFC Obs (wounded).

With the help of Lt-Cols MacFetridge and Macfarlane, I soon obtained one of the above Mtn Arty Group photos. However, further research into the life of "Freddie" Elliot, took decades, including at least two flights to London (from Stuttgart) - for example getting On Side with the Elliots' former neighbours in Fulham (which produced the better of the Mtn Arty Groups)...

I even corresponded with the son of General Sir John Wilton, KBE, CB, DSO (our fathers, both 2nd AIF officers, had attended Haifa Staff College 4th War Course), who was one of Elliot's subalterns in pre-WWII Burma. He sent me further photos and anecdotes, and so it went on. As JMAT once said: 'Research Never Ends!'

The final piece of Research took place shortly before Firepower folded, so I know that there is still lots of "Elliot-iana" now in cold storage and presently out of my reach. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.