Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

le barque and ligney-thilloy

KIRKY

Often driven through above villages and wondered about their involvement in ww1. Anyone got any info and maps of any trenches as would love to plan a walk there.

Tony

Edited by KIRKY

Here's a couple of starters for you, Tony. ...Both maps are from November 1916.

(I also have a good deal of information regarding the attack of the Division Derroja through Grevillers until it was stopped dead at the German line between these two areas on 3rd January 1871 (and the subsequent German counter-attack on Thilloy), but that's maybe for another place!)

Dave

Nov 1916 (German).jpg

Nov 1916 (British).jpg

Thanks Dave thats great, would like more details on the 1871 info as always been interested in this period on the Somme.

Perhaps pm me?

Tony

November 1916 - L G Hawker VC, DSO shot down by the Red Baron adjacent to Luisenhof Farm just off the Bapaume to Flers Road, south of Ligny-Thilloy.

Thanks Don , ever found the exact spot?

Tony

Tony.

Apparently, he crashed and was buried by the Germans about 250 yards east of Luisenhof Farm.  The farm does appear on various trench maps but I understand it was destroyed during the war.  Although I have driven past several times, I have never had the opportunity to dig out my Linesman to determine the exact spot.  I think the farm was adjacent to the D10 roughly half way down the straight bit between Ligny-Thilloy and where the Le Sars to Gueudecourt road crosses.  The farm would be near 50deg 04.415min N and 2deg 49.756min E.  (There is/was a bare patch/dumping area next to the road at this spot.)  His burial place would, therefore, have been probably in the middle of the farmer's field to the east of that.

There's plenty about him on the internet.  There's also a book about him by his brother but I have not read it - maybe some other pals have and can comment.

Reg

Edited by Don Regiano

THanks Reg will have a look when next over there in March,

TonyThanks Don , ever found the exact spot?

Tony

23 hours ago, KIRKY said:

Thanks Dave thats great, would like more details on the 1871 info as always been interested in this period on the Somme.

Well, you'll have to wait a while (about a year) as quite a bit of detail will be probably included in a forthcoming publication. However, here's a map image I constructed for my own notes which might be of some use. Depicting the actions of 3rd January and prior to the German withdrawal towards Albert and Peronne and the move on St.Quentin, it uses a 1915 1:40,000 scale map as a background and may be of interest...

Dave

Bataille de Bapaume.jpg

Bapaume IGN.jpg

...and a close-up of your particular area of interest using a modern (ish) IGN map ...

IGN.jpg

Thanks Dave thats brilliant!!

Tony

Hi Tony

There was very heavy fighting in and around the village of Ligny Thilloy during the 1st Battle of Bapaume during the German Spring Offensives in that area. Ligny Thilloy was also used as a rallying point on the 25/03/1918 by troops of the 2nd Division and other units who had been overwhelmed by the Germans on the 24/03/1918 and driven back from the RED LINE which ran past the eastern side of Villers au Flos. And was also involved in the fightinging during the Allied Offensive in August 1918.

Regards

Andy  

Thanks Andy, any maps etc pinpointing the fighting?

Tony