Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical abbreviation 'LYD'

PaulNewman

Hello all.

I wondered if anyone might be able to help me.

I have come across a soldier in the Great War was admitted to hospital for 'LYD'.

Any idea was this abbreviation could stand for?

Thank you.

The only thing I can think of is lyddite, the high explosive made with picric acid.

Is there any chance you can post an image of the abbreviation as it appears, if what you have is handwritten? I know from bitter experience that late Victorian/early 20thC capital letters in script are very confusible.

• Admin

Commonly seen in the records is NYD - Not Yet Diagnosed 

As pointed out above script can be 'confusable' (definitely my word of the day definitely confused autocomplete!)

Ken

Ah greater minds!

Edited by kenf48

Quite possibly NYD. The 'L' below is different. Perhaps you can find more text to compare it with?

Does the man have a service/pension record to compare the entry against.

Intrigued by which hospital this is, a UK one I guess , an admin & discharge book for a UK hospital? Or a regimental register.

More text in the same hand would be a help.

TEW

Look at the capital M of Machine Gun Corps. Take off the second curve and turn the remains of the letter into a free standing one with an upward flourish at the end. Could it then be a capital N? making the entry NYD ?

Edited by CGM

On the line below the 'L' starting Larengitis is not the same as the first letter above it in the abbreviation.

1 hour ago, CGM said:

Look at the capital M of Machine Gun Corps. Take off the second curve and turn the remains of the letter into a free standing one with an upward flourish at the end. Could it then be a capital N? making the entry NYD ?

On reading the copy record, but before I saw CGM's post, I had reached exactly the same conclusion.

Ron

Yes I agree, it is NYD.

The writer just has a peculiar way of writing his capital M & Ns, with a pathologically high stem in relation to the rest of the letter.

My sincere thanks to you all.

It looks like the abbreviation is most likely 'NYD'.

The record concerned is from a regimental book of casualties and includes those wounded and sick.

Many thanks.