Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map/Aerial Photographs

barkalotloudly

Hello, i would be very grateful indeed if anybody should come across the Trench map for this date/ sector {28NE3 trenches corrected  5/12/1917 1/10000} i would also be very interested in any Aerial Photographs for this location 1917 buy/copy etc

best regards   

Hello,

What area and date are you exactly looking for? I see it's the Geluveld area, with which I'm quite familiar as I wrote a book about it some years ago.

Jan

I have a map and aerial photos, however, as Jan, above says, you need to be more specific area wise, particularly for the aerial photos, I doubt if an aerial photo of the whole map exists.

John

the trench map i seek is the one i have listed, trenches corrected 5/12/17 edition 8A I believe, aerial photo graphs of the of the area close to the menin road AND The Chateau  once again as close to this date as possible 

i do have several photographs, but nothing spot on to this location i should imagine this whole area was photographed but it is a case of finding some! 

45 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

the trench map i seek is the one i have listed, trenches corrected 5/12/17 edition 8A I believe, aerial photo graphs of the of the area close to the menin road AND The Chateau  once again as close to this date as possible 

Which chateau exactly?

Sounds as though you've got a reference for a  specific event. Have you tried the battalion, brigade or division diaries for a copy? McMaster have editions 5a & 6a (April & July) which I'm guessing won't do?

TEW

Edition 8A, 5th Dec 1917...

8A.jpg

...and 9A in 1:20,000 scale (same date)...

9A 1-20000.jpg

a slightly 'cleaner' version of the 1:10,000 scale 8A...

Dave

Gheluvelt 5th Dec 1917.jpg

I have a aerial photo with various placed identified including the Herantage Chateau.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want a copy.

John

I would i like to thank everybody very much for their assistance i hope it is all right to download and copy the map extracts and photographs, my reason for asking for these is to add to my diary of a New Zealand machine gunner killed 5/12/17 at this location, via the "Christchurch Times" i managed to find some of his decendants send them copies of his diary {of which they had no knowledge} and i would like to send them further details on the 100th anniversary of his death.

Once again very many thanks indeed!!  

Wasn't he killed near Polderhoek Chateau? They were engaged there (and not near Herenthage Chateau).

My grandparents used to farm where Polderhoek Chateau once stood. I know the area very well as I used to search for battlefield relics in that area.

Jan

This is a view from the German side from somewhere between Beselare and Geluveld looking to the North towards Polderhoek Chateau. The small mound to the left with the cross over it, is Haus Baden, a German concrete bunker. The larger mound to the right is what remained of Chateau Polderhoek. It was on a small mound overlooking the whole area (the Germans were able to fire with their MGs on the New Zealand supply lines in Polygon Wood, which is why they tried taking the position on 3 December 1917).

Jan

polderhoek1917.jpg

This is an aerial picture from 24 October 1917 showing the area from Geluveld Chateau (at the bottom middle) with the Scheriabeek in the middle and Polderhoek Chateau on the upper right part. The small white block is the German bunker Haus Baden just opposite Polderhoek Chateau.

Jan

1917.10.24 FA(A)221.jpg

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Wasn't he killed near Polderhoek Chateau? They were engaged there (and not near Herenthage Chateau).

My grandparents used to farm where Polderhoek Chateau once stood. I know the area very well as I used to search for battlefield relics in that area.

Jan

Yes killed on the  late afternoon of the 5th when his machine gun position was hit by a German shell {there were 5 men in total killed }

very many thanks for this photograph not so much a battle field as a living hell 

Polderhoek Chateau was indeed hell on earth from late September 1917 until early 1918. The results can still be found today. When I was walking on the fields there, there were bits of human bones everywhere.

if by any chance you have a photograph of the site as it is now that would be brilliant but if not no problems.I shall copy all the photos etc and send them to his living relatives in New Zealand and Australia i am sure they will be thrilled to receive them, as i mentioned before they had no idea there was a typed diary of his war,strangely enough i purchased it from an auction house in new Zealand several years ago {over the net} cannot understand why there was no local interest!!  

I would be most interested in the text from the diary from the period early December 1917.

The chateau would have been in the middle of the picture, the farm was built a bit to the right of the former chateau.

Jan

polderhoeknu.JPG

Edited by AOK4

very many thanks!!!