Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Henry Yates 67112 - DCM Winner

DaveNich

Would anyone know the date that Sgt Henry Yates 67112 won his DCM as part of the CEF.

I would be most grateful for any information on him.

Thanks

David Nicholas

David: No one with the name "Yates" is listed as having received the DCM with the CEF in either The Distinguished Conduct Medal Awarded to Members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1920 or in Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920. Dick

David, I couldn't come across a DCM listing in the London Gazette but did find this for a bar to the DCM:

8932 Cpl. (A./Sjt.) H. Yates, D.C.M., 2nd Bn., Worc. R. (Waterloo, London).

Issue 31186, 14th February, 1919, London Gazette

The page can be found here.

Would this be your fellow?

David, looking at his serial number, he served with the 25th Battalion. One of our members, N.S.Regt. has done a great deal of research on them. Perhaps he could help.

My own thinking was he was signed up early, November 1914, and had transferred to the BEF, given his long service with the South Wales Borderers.

Many thanks to everyone for the replies

The information that I have came from a Newspaper article from the 1930's.

I have been researching two other brothers Thomas Yates and George Yates of the 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment who both won the DCM.

As the article mentions a 3rd brother winning the DCM - Sgt Henry Yates (Canadian Regiment) I thought I would try to find some information about the third brother. From the Canadian Library and Archives Site I found the papers of Henry Yates 67112.

Do you think this could be the same man as in the 2nd Worc Reg?

Thanks

David

David

A Henry Yates did serve with the 25th Battalion CEF I have 28 D.C.M.s for that Battalion but Yates is not amoung them. I have not checked my list yet but when I get more time I will go through the and see what I can find maybe tomorrow after work. Henry Yates is from Wales according the shipping list and there is also a Frederick Yates from England I wonder if they are related, Yates is not a well known name in the Province. Frederick's serial number is 67274 and he enlisted 9 days after Henry on the 18th of Nov. 1914. Both were living in Sydney Mines Cape Breton N.S. and were most likely miners.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S. Regt.

Thank you for the reply

Henry Yates did have another brother called Frederick. So they could be related.

Most of the family were involved in the mining industry in South Wales.

As the information about the other two brothers Thomas and George Yates from the 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment is correct, I would pressume that Henry Yates did also win the DCM, but finding the information will be more difficult.

Thanks

David

David

If Henry did indeed win the D.C.M. it may have been with another unit. I have been putting together the awards won by the Battalion and I did a quick check I could not find him being awarded anything with the 25th. A number of the men that had experence mining were transfered to the tunneling companies he may have been one of those. I will see what I can find.

Regards

N.S.Regt.

David, you might want to consider downloading 8932, Cpl. (A/Sjt) Yates' Medal Index card, it may indicate prior service with the CEF - MIC link.

Incidentally, just for curiousity's sake, I entered the name Yates and the serial number 67112 and it came up as a Pte. Thomas Yates, who served with the Royal Army Medical Corps! How is that for an odd coincidence? Here's the link.

Another option would be to order Sjt. Yates' entire service file from Ottawa. An entire file usually costs in the neighbourhood of $25 Cdn.

Chris.wright wrote:

David, you might want to consider downloading 8932, Cpl. (A/Sjt) Yates' Medal Index card, it may indicate prior service with the CEF

This man's Christian name is Herbert but he did receive the DCM and Bar with the 2nd Bn, The Worcestershire Regiment. I can not find a Canadian connection. Regards. Dick

Dick, thanks for pointing that out.