Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on trip to Ypres required

Dean

Hello everyone, 

i have an an opportunity for a Flying visit to Ypres to see the Lasr Post at the Menin gate.

Never been before and really looking forward to it. 

i will be arriving at about lunchtime and following a quick bite to eat, would like to take in some sites. 

Its a pretty tight schedulle but but I would be really grateful  if any members could suggest some sites to visit in the short time that I have there. I have transport.

but would like to maximise opportunity, maybe less is more . Don't mind which sites but don't want to spend to much time driving.

Many Thanks and kind regards 

Dean

Tyne Cot not very far well worth a visit , several cemeteries on the way , Pop is a cock stride, passing Essex Farm Cem and the double VC winners cemetery at Brandhoek New Mil Cem. Ralph.

Hill 60, just outside Zillebeke 4 kms from Ypres (and don't forget the Caterpillar, on the other side of the railway track).

Roel

Edited by roel22

As it's your first visit, also worth mentioning that over the last decade the ceremony itself has become very crowded more often than not, so unless you're tall or have a decent soap box to stand on, have a good 'comfort break' before, put your comfy shoes and clothes on, get there an hour before and stay in place!

Edit; I second the three suggestions above by the way; Tyne Cot is away tot he East but worth the visit for the shock factor alone (allow plenty of time to look around), Hill 60 is certainly worthwhile if you read about it before so you can visualise what happened there and the Ramparts after the ceremony will round it off nicely. 

Edited by steve fuller
addition

drive along the Menin road, the big roundabout was hell fire corner, carry straight on until you see a small green sign saying railway wood, turn up this road which was the old Cambridge road trench,to your right was the site of the much fought over y wood, as you drive to the top of the rise look to your right and you will see a white cross of remembrance aprk to the side of the farmers field entrance ,walk to the cross, if you turn around you will see why this area had so much bitter fighting, as you look you will also see a major part of the fighting for the Menin road. hope this helps

as to the gate at eight insert ceremony for circus

Biffo :poppy:

Dean,

I like the grounds of Hooge crater hotel. Enter the grounds and stroll around at your leisure. There is a box on the gate post if you wish to donate a few euros. Craters, bunkers and trenches to view. If you google images for Hooge crater you'll notice the bunkers and craters have not changed much.

Enjoy your visit

Sajack

To all who have commented, many many thanks for your comments and thoughts

very much appreciated indeed.

now I have the tricky task of deciding which to see?? 

ill look further intonthem .

Thanks again guys 

Dean ??

If I had just an afternoon in the ypres salient (in a car) I would:

Grab a cheap sandwich/whatever from a supermarket - no time is to be lost. Drive to Tyne Cot (lavatories take a 50 eurocent coin to use) and spend 20-30 mins. Then drive to nearby Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke (lavatories available for free), look around for around an hour, then drive to Hooge on Menin Road - park outside museum, look at cemetery perhaps. Look back to Ypres, across the fields to Sanctuary Wood, then up the hill to Inverness Copse on the highest part of the salient, and appreciate why Ypres was so important. Also notice how small the battlefield is!

Take a Brisk walk around the grounds of the Chateau/hotel  (just walk in and put 1 Euro each in honesty box, see concrete bunker, shell holes, rusty shell cases, trenches etc.). Then to Hooge Museum, which is small but excellent for half an hour, then in excellent museum cafe/bar have tea/beer, cake, burger whatever late afternoon (and good lavatories for free), then drive to Ieper for Menin Gate Last Post - if you want to get the most out of this then you really have to get there an hour early, so that you can be actually under the gate, and as near the front as you can get if you are not tall. A copy of the Holt's pocket guide to Ypres Salient HERE will help your trip.

Good luck!.

William  

Edited by WilliamRev
Correcting grammar

William, 

What can i say, many thanks and very much appreciated.

That all seems to fit my schedule.

Sounds like I could get to see a fair bit in  short time and save the rest for a return viist.

Thanks again

Dean 

no time is to be lost. Drive to Tyne Cot (lavatories take a 50 eurocent coin to use) and spend 20-30 mins. 

If no time to be lost, spending 30 minutes in the lav seems excessive! :lol:

On 30 January 2017 at 18:01, WilliamRev said:

If I had just an afternoon in the ypres salient (in a car) I would:

Grab a cheap sandwich/whatever from a supermarket - no time is to be lost. Drive to Tyne Cot (lavatories take a 50 eurocent coin to use) and spend 20-30 mins. Then drive to nearby Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke (lavatories available for free), look around for around an hour, then drive to Hooge on Menin Road - park outside museum, look at cemetery perhaps. Look back to Ypres, across the fields to Sanctuary Wood, then up the hill to Inverness Copse on the highest part of the salient, and appreciate why Ypres was so important. Also notice how small the battlefield is!

Take a Brisk walk around the grounds of the Chateau/hotel  (just walk in and put 1 Euro each in honesty box, see concrete bunker, shell holes, rusty shell cases, trenches etc.). Then to Hooge Museum, which is small but excellent for half an hour, then in excellent museum cafe/bar have tea/beer, cake, burger whatever late afternoon (and good lavatories for free), then drive to Ieper for Menin Gate Last Post - if you want to get the most out of this then you really have to get there an hour early, so that you can be actually under the gate, and as near the front as you can get if you are not tall. A copy of the Holt's pocket guide to Ypres Salient HERE will help your trip.

Good luck!.

William  

Dean

Rather than make alternative suggestions I am going to say go with William's suggestion.

Gareth

Just a couple more thoughts which might be of use to you or other people reading this post..

The Hooge Museum is closed on Mondays (but the Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke is open every day).

If you go on a Sunday it looks as though all the supermarkets/shops selling food in Ieper are closed, BUT...... in fact the (rather nice) Eurospar is open 7.30 am to Noon. To find it, go out of Menin Gate (heading East), and straight ahead for 400 metres, taking the third right turn. After a hundred metres or so you will see the town cemetery on your left, and on your right will be the Eurospar; it has a carpark.

William 

Edited by WilliamRev
clarity

William

Many thanks, very useful to know as it now looks like I am travelling on a Monday.

Best regards

Dean

Carrefour Ieper open until 1300 on Sundays >>>>>>>>>>>> 400m WEST of Menin gate first turn right after Cloth Hall. Lots of parking. Also very near St George's Chapel.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone looking for sustinence in Ieper should check out the bread/sandwich/cake shop, "Brood Henk Banket", diagonally opposite the front entrance to the Novotel. Short walk from the usual suspects but stay away from the cake selection if you're watching your waistline!

Can't remember whether it's closed on Tuesday or Thursday but the rest of the week (including Sunday) they open at 05.45.

Edited by Ray Tomlinson

But they'll pile on salad and mayo - whether you want it or not!

The person who made mine on Sunday morning asked first if I wanted salad. There was no salad option with the raspberry tart. It's the vegetarians who have to be careful - in France they simply cut the meat into smaller pieces!