Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

john billingham of derby

Guest debjenks

can anyone tell me anything about a john billingham who was a soldier in 1901 aged 24 and based in lydd, kent. i do not have anymore details on him. i have looked on the common wealth and he is not listed. any help please.

deb

oh he had a sister jane who married an armstrong.

Good Afternoon Ms Jenks,

Welcome to the forum.

Your question sis a little broad in scope but!!

Lydd amoungst other things was one of the training schools for the Royal Artillery, thus it may be that he was somehow related to thieir activities.

The online MIC Index lists only 24 X John Billinghams some of which have a middle initial. If you are sure there is no middle initial this can be narrowed down further. Similarly the number of artilliery members in this category is 3 if you exclude one whose number would suggest post 1917 enlistment. This all assumes he is RA which at this stage would require a great leap of faith which does not make good research. What other numbers, stories etc do you have in the family.

Possible Example

John Billingham,

Royal Garrison Artillery 25204 Shoeing Smith Serjeant

Royal Garrison Artillery 25204 Staff Serjeant

Roop

Not exactly what you are looking for but may come in useful ??

A Derby newspaper of 3rd August 1917 records the following in a list of wounded:-

83539 Dvr G. Billingham R.F.A. (Ilkeston) [that is all]

Just in case you are unaware - Dvr means Driver and R.F.A. means Royal Field Artillery. Was there an Ilkeston connection ?

Following on from what Roop has said above, MIC online lists:-

Medal card of Billingham, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 83539 Driver

Royal Field Artillery 83539 Driver

Good Luck

Stuart

P.S. They were good keywords you used in the heading. Had I not seen the word Derby I may well have skipped the topic.

Deb

The 1891 Census has 4 year old John Billingham living at Carters Yard, High Street, Beighton, Derbyshire. His parents are Harry (29) and Sarah (27), and there is an older brother Tom, aged 7.

Is this your man?

Steve

(Later: Sorry, I have just realised that he would have been 14 in 1891, not 4. Please disregard this message).

Deb,

There is a J H BILLINGHAM on CWGC his age would fit. Do you have any more background info?

Staff Serjeant

16th Heavy Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

who died on

Friday 12th October 1917. Age 41.

Mark

Perhaps John Henry Billingham, born 1st Quarter 1877, in Derby. Volume 7b, Page 547.

And from the 1881 census....

Living at 48 Rivett Street Derby are John Collin, aged 50, and his wife Sophia, aged 54.

Their daughter Elizabeth (24) and her husband Henry Billingham (23) are also there with their children, 4 year old John and his two year old sister Jane.

Finally, lodgers William Phipps, Annie Griffiths, and Annie’s two children James and Ellen.

SN

Steve

The man I posted as a possible example

John Billingham,

Royal Garrison Artillery 25204 Shoeing Smith Serjeant

Royal Garrison Artillery 25204 Staff Serjeant

is the same man as that posted by Markl :-

Staff Serjeant

16th Heavy Bty., Royal Garrison Artillery

who died on

Friday 12th October 1917. Age 41.

Roop