Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms,arms, insignia, medals

tonycad

Can some expert Pal identify the type ofWW1 uniform my relative is wearing in this photograph. I believe that he is wearing a General Service cap badge.

He was once described to me as a Chocolate Soldier, What does this nean

Thank you

Tony

post-23-1102867054.jpg

He was once described to me as a Chocolate Soldier, What does this nean

A "Chocolate Soldier" Was just that ;Like An "Easter Bunny" or a "Chocolate Santa" ;A soldier Made of chocolate Wrapped in a tinfoil Uniform,I doubt that in these PC times such an animal is available,but I remember getting them{Along with Chocolate Smokers Sets~Pipe,Cigars,Cigarettes,Ash Tray & Shredded Coconut Tobacco~ & Ive Never had the Desire to take up the Real Thing!}in my Christmas Stocking,40 years ago,I expect in this reference the implication was that he was as Smart as A Chocolate Soldier!

he is wearing the GS Cap badge,Has Leather snake Buckle Belt & is a Sergeant,The Shoulder Titles appear to be Embroidered & Might be Yeomanry~there seems to be a "Y" @ the Top,A Close up might reveal more!

Tony, an intersting photo indeed. The 11th Battalion of the Welsh Regiment (Cardiff Pals) were sometimes called 'the chocolate soldiers' as the private (local) suppliers of their uniforms used a darker shade of cloth than the regulation khaki.

I dont know if your relative was Welsh or had any connection with this battalion. The second reason I find your photograpoh very interesting is the fact that he seems to be wearing the slip-on version of the Yeomanry shoulder title. I'm a collector of Welsh uniforms and insignia and I have examples of the Pembrokehire and Denbighshire slip-on titles. I cant quite make out the name below the Y on your relative's eppaulettes. It is however the first time I have seen a photograph with these slip ons being worn - so thank you very much! I'd say that this photo was taken late on in the war (1917/1918). He seems to be wearing normal British service dress of the period with a 1914 pattern belt (perhaps a walking out pattern).

I'd be interested to hear if any of this fits in with what you know of your relative.

Regards

Jonathan

Probably not relevant in your case Tony. In Australia the term 'chocolate soldier' was used to describe members of the militia (army reserve units) around the time WW2 commenced. Members of the Australian Imperial Force, raised specifically for overseas service, reportedly refered to the militia as 'chocolate soldiers' because it was believed they would 'melt' under pressure of they went to war. Army reservists in Australia are still referred to as 'chokos' to this day. In many cases they proved thier critics wrong...many of the so-called 'chokos' actually formed the nucleus of AIF units.

Rgds

Tim D

I think this soldier is a member of the Volunteer training Corps and the title has a "V" and not "Y" above the regimental or county designation.

Peter Brydon

Thank you Johnathan. Yes, there is a Welsh connection.

Could Paul or Peter tell me more about the Voluntary Training Corps. Would members of the Corps have had a connection with a local Regiment.

Thank you in anticipation,

Tony

In 1908, the Austrian composer Oscar Sraus wrote an operetta loosely based on GB Shaw's play 'Arms and the Man'. Its original German title is 'Der Tapfere Soldat' (translated it means The Valiant/Courageous Soldier - Egbert, is that right?). Shortly afterwards it was produced in England under the title 'The Chocolate Soldier', which derives from the hero (a fugitive Swiss soldier) telling the lady who helps him that for the last three days he has only eaten chocolate drops. She then refers to him as her "chocolate soldier".

Whether the phrase was in common use before then, I cannot say. 'The Chocolate Soldier' proved a big success, and was in production in the West End at the outbreak of war, when the theatre admitted anyone in uniform for half price. Derek Oldham, the young tenor who took the title role, enlisted in the Scots Guards in November 1914, and was subsequently commissioned into the East Lancs, and won the MC in Salonika - so, no Chocolate Soldier he..!