Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wendover Tank

johntanner

Just spotted this on the pub's Facebook page. Never see it before even though I grew up in the village.

John

IMG_0624.PNG

John

This is the tank that was presented to Aylesbury.  For some reason it was decided it was to be delivered to Wendover and it would then make its own way to Aylesbury under its own steam.  Although you can only see a part of the number at the rear of the tank (the policeman is blocking the rest) I was wondering if you can read the first 2 numbers any better.  It seems to be 20.  Is that right?

Tanks3

Definitely 20. I did wonder if it was the Aylesbury tank. 

John

3 hours ago, tanks3 said:

For some reason it was decided it was to be delivered to Wendover and it would then make its own way to Aylesbury under its own steam.

tank.jpg

I was interested to see this as I live a mile away from here further down the road. The Marquis of Granby is now called the Village Gate.  The tank would have passed my house on its way to Aylesbury.

June

Thanks for posting this.  Since the first two digits of the serial are 20 we can say with certainty that this tank was built as a Male, and has had Female sponsons fitted later in its career.  

Gwyn